Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flickering Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah 2018.50 has been really buggy for me so far. I've never had my lights flicker at temps below zero until this update. In addition to that my display has frozen and rebooted twice in 2 days now. Never happened until the update either. Tons of other little bugs too. Headlights flickering is the worst issue though.

On 2018.50 too and while I haven’t been in cold temps like you guys or out at night with the car to notice any flickering at warmer night temps (30s-40s), I did leave the car to go to the ATM and came back to a rebooting screen (black screen with white Tesla logo). My audio channel icons disappeared and were all blank. When I went to radio and selected a new channel from the list and made it a favorite, I noticed after that all my icons came back.

I also after this update had upgraded my phone and had to relog into my Tesla app. After entering my email and password the screen went to white with just the typed word “Unauthorized” showing in far left corner of screen. No access to our cars. Called Tesla and they said they were aware of this but not my exact situation and the workaround for now was to touch the far upper right of the screen. Our cars appeared. Have had to do this step a few times. Not sure if related to 2018.50 but hadn’t noticed this before but then was always logged in until the phone switch. Had no problem BTW logging into Tesla.com account.

Last edited:
I did a quick skim through this, and just wanted to add that I noticed flickering from the DRL the other day. Only noticed because I was behind an SUV at a stop light and could see the flicker reflected on the back. I thought it was only the left headlight, however.

Did it continue after the video ended? How long until the flickering stopped?

It stopped as soon as the video stopped so it only last just a few seconds. I haven’t noticed it continuing for any longer than that.

It also seems to just be when the headlights first turn on, Ive never noticed it happen after they have been on for an extended period of time.

I wonder if they "Adjusted" something (e.g. Voltage or PCM) in firmware to minimize the issue with burning out Signature Lights and now we have flicker. I swear mine never did this on colder nights and now occasionally does with latest firmware.

Until today I had never seen it happening while driving, it was always just on start up for maybe 5-10 seconds. With temperatures around -15F to -20F last night and this eveing, the flickering was noticed from the DRLs well into my drives and at random times.

Flickering started for me minutes after I installed .50 back in December. No problems before that, despite no major change in temperature. Today I caught the left side flicker while at an intersection.

So it's definitely cold temp related, but I do think root cause is a software change.

Crazy that this is still an issue almost two months and several firmware updates later. At this rate, I'm just hoping it's fixed by next winter. :(

I noticed a big spike in the rollout of software version 2019.5.4 over the last 24 hours. Around 26% of the Tesla owners using the “Stats” app are now running this newer software build.

I’m still on 2018.50.6 and am experiencing the flicker problem after switching from low to high beams. Has anyone with this problem been able to update to the newer software release and noticed if the flickering issue has been fixed?