Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% it's detectable...
I agree Tesla could easily detect it. Just curious as to how long you think before we know they do.

So you think for Stage 1 they actually play w Max Torque and Max Power settings? Are they using CANBus?

If one of the modified cars had a battery fire, what do you think the odds are that EG would be pulled into a suit? Even at stage 1 it seems like a possibility unless all fires are dendrite charging related.

It's cool that someone is actually doing this and offering it. Unfortunate (though expected) that it's a warranty risk or risk of unknown repercussions from Tesla. It also seems like only a small number of people will be able to get this given EG is just one place all the way up in NH. I'm curious how many people locally would be interested that would be enough for them to fly out.

It just seems like to me that Tesla could offer this same thing to 980 owners. The whole worry about pissing off non 980 owners seems silly to me. Tesla has pissed off so many customers in so many other ways already, what's this going to really hurt? It allows them to reap more money on early adopters.

I wonder what numbers that Stage 3 is putting down. And how is it "sold out"? Lol. It does say still in development so I'm guessing they just mean it's not on sale yet while they test it to make sure it's within safe levels.

Any of us who have modified gas cars are aware of this risk - engines have blown on dynos, in the street, etc. If the concern is that Tesla will find out and punish us, I guess I need to go back to my purchase agreement and see if I agree to repercussions if I attempt to modify the software/hardware/electronics. I'm also glad companies are offering performance upgrades as this has been done in ICE land for a long time.

If the concern is that Tesla will find out and punish us, I guess I need to go back to my purchase agreement and see if I agree to repercussions if I attempt to modify the software/hardware/electronics.

That's not how that works- they don't need your permission to not repair stuff your own mods caused.

It's the warranty at issue, not the MVPA.

If they can show you modified the car (which they easily can)

And they can make a reasonable argument that mod caused or significantly contributed to a problem (which they can or can't do depending on the problem and how relevant the mod is to it)

Then- they can legally refuse to cover that problem under warranty.

If they can't show the mod is related to the problem then you'd remain covered for that problem.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
I fully understand how it works - but this is Tesla. If they even detect something, can they start implementing changes to the car assuming nothing happens and no warranty claim is needed. For example, what if they apply code that forces my car to operate in chill mode permanently. The point I'm trying to make is whether they have authority to act outside of denying warranty claims. They've turned off supercharging and autopilot for people in certain situations so who knows what else they'll decide to do behind the scenes.

I think a salvage AWD probably makes the most sense If you can’t source a wrecked P car and if you’re using it racing.

In terms of firmware updates...the car has been pretty perfect as is. There’s nothing groundbreaking coming from Tesla and even if you disconnect from the mothership...so what? People have been modifying ICE cars the same way for ages. You know what you’re doing, you know what you’re giving up to gain, etc. The only communication you have with Tesla on a regular basis is supercharging and firmware. All other system and services is embedded in the car. If you love the instant speed...might be worth it tbh.

the stage 1 seems decent for the folks that havent yet purchased the boost upgrade. The module can be installed/removed in a few minutes and doesnt effect future software updates. If the module gets zapped, the EG devs can adjust accordingly. Not bad

I'm pretty sure I have the "shitty" motor, but for the life of me, I can not find that label/bar code they are talking about where you look through the rear, driver's-side wheel. I only see the ones stuck on the suspension components.

Its pretty far in, on a diamond shaped silver square(square turned 45 degrees) with black lettering. Look in from just above the nine o'clock position on the drivers side wheel(with the wheel cover off). Its just above and to the left of where the axle enters the motor/gearbox assembly, and just rearward of a horizontal suspension part. You can see the horizontal part(out of focus) in my attached picture.

Attachments

• P6090003.JPG
    P6090003.JPG
    438.1 KB · Views: 108
I would assume it's more of a question of being logged vs on-the-fly detection. If a warranty issue pops up and they go looking at logged data I think that's where the concern is. If stage 2 was more like stage 1 I might consider it, but the way it is both are a hard pass for me.

You know people keep talking about detectable hardware...remember MPP has their “party box” and there has been no mention or comments about that being detected.

AFAIK there's only been a very few people beta testing that- and only on a model they don't even sell anymore.... so it's not like "disable TC on a RWD" is gonna cost them any P sales.

the stage 1 seems decent for the folks that havent yet purchased the boost upgrade. The module can be installed/removed in a few minutes and doesnt effect future software updates. If the module gets zapped, the EG devs can adjust accordingly. Not bad

If Tesla forces the car into limp mode every time it detects it has accelerated beyond spec- it'd be pretty tough to adjust for that.

Certainly annoying enough I'd have rather paid a few hundred bucks and bought the "authorized" version.

I fully understand how it works - but this is Tesla. If they even detect something, can they start implementing changes to the car assuming nothing happens and no warranty claim is needed. For example, what if they apply code that forces my car to operate in chill mode permanently.

Sure they could.

"Software detected car running out of spec- car goes into limp mode for safety and to prevent damage- please schedule service to correct"

The car already does that for some conditions- they just add a new condition.

Bottom line is anyone can modify their car. There is nothing Tesla can do about it. Now if you take your car in for warranty service and they determine your upgrade caused the failure. They can legally reject to fix it under warranty.
You can buy the upgrade from EG and tesla can find out. Yet they cant automatically void your warranty because of it. And they cant void the warranty for the whole car. Only for what was upgraded that failed.

Funny thing...if stage 2 said 0-60 in under 3 second and 1/4 mile time in 11 seconds and everything else is the same in the description....ALL of y’all would totally consider buying it but because there is a car that exist at that speed (the performance) you hesitate despite tradings up would cost you at minimum 5k+ in potential loss. So technically the warranty discussion isn’t really the issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: phantasms
Funny thing...if stage 2 said 0-60 in under 3 second and 1/4 mile time in 11 seconds and everything else is the same in the description....ALL of y’all would totally consider buying it but because there is a car that exist at that speed (the performance) you hesitate despite tradings up would cost you at minimum 5k+ in potential loss. So technically the warranty discussion isn’t really the issue.
Warranty/updates IS the issue.

It could run 0-60 in 2.6 seconds and run 10's for $5000 and I still wouldn't do it.

Bottom line is anyone can modify their car. There is nothing Tesla can do about it.

Of course there is.

They can set a condition "If car exceeds possible acceleration for car type, set limp mode until car is brought in for service because something is wrong with it"

Again- they do this NOW when they detect certain things operating outside parameters.

(That's apart from any theft of service issues if they're really tricking the car into thinking you paid for boost or a P or something of course- I would imagine they're NOT doing that for stage 1 at least since they're ok leaving the car talking to Tesla meaning they can't just be toggling the BOOSTPURCHASED flag because it'd just get toggled back off constantly- but maybe they ARE for stage 2 and it's why you have to get cut off from talking to Tesla?)

Now if you take your car in for warranty service and they determine your upgrade caused the failure. They can legally reject to fix it under warranty.
You can buy the upgrade from EG and tesla can find out. Yet they cant automatically void your warranty because of it. And they cant void the warranty for the whole car. Only for what was upgraded that failed.

I don't believe anybody has claimed otherwise (and several have already said what you just wrote)

Warranty is only one possible issue though.

Last edited: