Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AWD Model 3 is perfectly capable to be modified in Performance. That’s mostly a software throttle on the front motor to appears less quicker than the Performance version.

Thanks. Really good information - was waiting for somebody to do that test. Turns out the last 59 pages of discussion around 980 vs 990 motors should have been around the 960 instead - just like we started to suspect. :) The front is limited with 30% and the rear with 10% compared to performance.

I assume the measurements are pre-2019-36.1 (5% boost). Would be awesome to test the LR-RWD as that should have more power on the rear motor than Performance according to the dyno tests that have been done.

Also interesting that the power distribution looks like this (if you take into account that the rear motor is 4% more efficient).

Performance: 42% / 58%
AWD: 37% / 63%

Does anyone know what 0-60 time the AWD non performance would be after the upcoming 5% power boost ?

I’m a little confused because we received a power boost a while back, that brought the AWD 0-60 close to 4.1 seconds ( If I recall that correctly ).

So is this 5% more ?
Would that bring us into the high 3’s. ?

Does anyone know what 0-60 time the AWD non performance would be after the upcoming 5% power boost ?

I’m a little confused because we received a power boost a while back, that brought the AWD 0-60 close to 4.1 seconds ( If I recall that correctly ).

So is this 5% more ?
Would that bring us into the high 3’s. ?
AWD does 0-60 in roughly 4 flat with the 1 foot roll-out. I think this boost may get us to 3.9 but we will see. 3.9 is BMW M3 territory BTW.

IMG-8054.png

one step closer ;)

Noticed the following on page 179 of the latest owners manual. It seems really strange to me that the RWD can handle a higher maximum current than the non-performance AWD. I knew that there's speculation that the performance may have a different rear motor, but I always thought that the RWD and non-performance AWD had the same rear motor. This really implies to me that they're artificially limiting the AWD. Am I mistaken in my interpretation of this?

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 4.49.48 PM.png

Noticed the following on page 179 of the latest owners manual. It seems really strange to me that the RWD can handle a higher maximum current than the non-performance AWD. I knew that there's speculation that the performance may have a different rear motor, but I always thought that the RWD and non-performance AWD had the same rear motor. This really implies to me that they're artificially limiting the AWD. Am I mistaken in my interpretation of this?

View attachment 474652

Even if true, the front motor for the AWD is the real bottleneck. They’re limiting it by about 30% compared to the P.

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Yeah it's interesting because even with the lower 600A peak current on the AWD rear motor compared to the P, what this video shows is the delta between the P and AWD is only 26 kW for peak current at the rear motors, but is 54 kW delta between the front motors. And with the max amps the same on the front motors, it would seem to imply that it's actually artificially limited on the front and the front inverters are the same soooooooo there should easily be room to boost the AWD safely further if not full P if all this holds water.

Last edited:

View attachment 474652
The speculation was always RWD and Perf having the same inverter whereas the Dual motor has a different one. It was based off of the EPA specs back in the day.

• Informative

View attachment 474652

They're absolutely artificially limiting the AWD.

Up until earlier this year RWD, AWD, and P all got the same rear motor- the 980.

Which is why again AWD cars with the 980 have been flashed to P any number of times for buyers who wanted a P3D- but there was an AWD on the lot when they showed up.

Several months back (how many seems to depend on what market you're in) the AWD only switched most production to the 990 rear for reasons unknown. Maybe cost savings?

That'd explain what you see in the manual.... but as noted most of the actual performance difference exists in the front motor which is the same between AWD and P and is being software limited in the AWD.