Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot my key today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my key on a hook next to the car in my garage, so took off this morning, took my son to school, went to the bank drive through, heading to the post office... and realized I left the key at home. If I had stopped at the post office and gotten out, I would have been stuck there. I didn't see any "Key not present" warning, which surprised me. Thankfully I realized I forgot my key before I turned the car off anywhere...

i would move that hook a lot farther away.

Yeeeeeah . . . I'm surprised it doesn't differentiate between a key inside and a key very close by. This makes me curious to test with my other half's SUV, to see if I can start it if he's right outside, and if so, how close he can be and the car not realize he's not inside the car. I guess the hook is very close.

I was thinking about removing the battery from my second key fob and hiding the fob and key somewhere inside my car.

If I ever lost my active fob, had a fob failure or had a situation such as yours, I could unlock my car using the mobile app, retrieve the battery and spare key and all would be well.

I have to imagine Tesla has the ability to remotely "start" the vehicle. They can do everything else. Not sure if they'd ever actually do it for you, or admit they have the ability, but if they can unlock the doors, honk the horn, and look at all of that diagnostic stuff, I am betting they can turn the thing on as well.

I find this a little scary - I did not know the S would drive off without the key in the car. Maybe we should suggest that there be some type of proximity that the key should be in, or else the car would shut down. Maybe I should not say this too loud, but what would keep someone from seeing you drive up, stop, get out with the autolock setting on and walking away - jump in your car before the door handles recess, and drive away with your car....food for thought.

I know it is a pain, but I always turn around and watch to make sure the handles retract when I am walking away, or press the top of the fob to lock the car.

I've owned several cars with keyless entry/start, and every single one of them would:

1. Only start if the key was IN the vehicle. Even one inch outside the door frame the car would not start.
2. If the key moves out of range, an immediate visual and audio warning are given and doesn't stop until the key is back.

I don't have my MS yet so I can't test how sensitive the car is, but if it will start with the key outside the vehicle that's a major flaw.

I was thinking about removing the battery from my second key fob and hiding the fob and key somewhere inside my car.

If I ever lost my active fob, had a fob failure or had a situation such as yours, I could unlock my car using the mobile app, retrieve the battery and spare key and all would be well.

If that works it would be brilliant, especially on long trips where, if TM can't remotely start the car, you'd be screwed.

Can the Model S be driven away if I send the "unlock" command from the iPhone app? That might be a solution if one were to forget the fob. Guess I'll have to try it later.

Edit: didn't see gasdocs post. Seems like this workaround won't work by itself. Still need a fob.

I tested this same thing this weekend with my in-laws Toyota Camry. They stood about 10 feet away from the car with the fob in their pocket and I was able to jump in the car and drive off in it. Pretty scary stuff! I'm surprised that the software doesn't poll every minute or so to see if the fob is nearby.

I've owned several cars with keyless entry/start, and every single one of them would:

1. Only start if the key was IN the vehicle. Even one inch outside the door frame the car would not start.
2. If the key moves out of range, an immediate visual and audio warning are given and doesn't stop until the key is back.

My old Cadillac was incredible at being able to tell if the key was inside or outside. I could literally hold the key against the outside of the car, and it would still auto-lock after the requisite countdown. If I got out of the car when it was running, and left the key somewhere and got back in, the car would say "Electronic Key Not Detected. One Restart Allowed" or something like that. The Tesla seems to be more proximity-based than key inside vs. key outside of car.

I tried to see if I could reproduce this also:
1. Car was manually unlocked the night before (I have walk away locking turned on) and charger plugged in
2. Placed fob on a table 3 feet from the car - handles extended automatically
3. Removed charger cable
4. Got inside car and was able to turn car on and drive off (without any fob in car)

There were no warning messages that the key fob was not present.

Last edited:
If I don't have the key inside the car, it complains. I suspect there's a miscalibration or something at play here. Mine can tell whether the key is 1' outside the door versus being inside.

I find this a little scary - I did not know the S would drive off without the key in the car. Maybe we should suggest that there be some type of proximity that the key should be in, or else the car would shut down.

I prefer not. I've been at a gas station with my other half, driving his SUV but didn't bring my key, he goes in for something and I have to move the car. It complains when he leaves, but IIRS it still works. I prefer that.

But it should warn like his does.