Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free premium connectivity transferable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is bs. I ordered just before 7/1/18 to get lifetime connectivity and now I can’t use it as a selling point to sell privately, and the official website says two different contradictory things.

By this logic, they could also take autopilot/FSD from the new owner, which I paid $8k for.
Right?! This is part of the reason I bought the specific car since it had lifetime premium connectivity. I’ll let you know if I’m able to get them to restore it. My hopes aren’t high though

What connectivity package applies to Tesla cars purchased privately and have transferred ownership?
Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or before January 20, 2020 will have free Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the car.

Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020 that do not have lifetime Premium Connectivity or an active Premium Connectivity trial will receive a 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity before being eligible for subscription.

Right?! This is part of the reason I bought the specific car since it had lifetime premium connectivity. I’ll let you know if I’m able to get them to restore it. My hopes aren’t high though

Thanks, I have the same problem too:
Free premium connectivity transferable?

Let me know if you find a solution. Otherwise, perhaps we can contact the tesla news sites or take to twitter? "Life of the car" seems pretty clear, not sure how they can just change that.

Here is the breakdown. Please note a vehicle could theoretically fall into multiple categories (Depending on how many times it has been sold back to Tesla. The most recent transaction will trump the prior ones)

If the car was originally ordered BEFORE June 30, 2018
  • The original owner has Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.
  • If sold Private Party Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.
  • If purchase USED from Tesla BEFORE January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.
  • If purchased USED from Tesla AFTER January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity.
If the car was originally ordered AFTER July 1, 2018
  • Original owner does NOT get unlimited Premium Connectivity. you must pay monthly.
  • If sold Private Party, the new owner does NOT get unlimited Premium Connectivity. you must pay monthly. (Unless it had been previously sold back to Tesla and falls into the category listed below)
  • If purchase USED from Tesla BEFORE January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.
  • If purchased USED from Tesla AFTER January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity.

If the car was ORDERED USED (no required build date) from Tesla BEFORE January 8, 2020
  • Car will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.
If the car was ORDERED USED from Tesla on or after January 9, 2020
  • No unlimited, you must pay monthly.
If purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or before January 20, 2020
  • Will have free Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the car.
If purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020
  • If the prior owner had lifetime Premium Connectivity, it stays.
  • If the vehicle did not have lifetime Premium Connectivity - No unlimited, you must pay monthly.

Last edited:
That doesnt explain why multiple people whose vehicle fall into the "purchased USED recently, NOT from tesla, a vehicle that previously qualified for unlimited premium connectivity" are having it removed, since it says "life of the car" but these people are being told by tesla "sorry there is nothing we can do".

When the ownership transfer goes through, it seems to be being removed. The asterisk in teslas instructions does not say "from tesla". Its implied, but it doesnt say that, unless I am mis reading it.

Note, I am not trying to make some excuse for tesla. It seems to be a strange place for them to draw a line in the sand over $120 a year.

Reactions: Gasaraki
That doesnt explain why multiple people whose vehicle fall into the "purchased USED recently, NOT from tesla, a vehicle that previously qualified for unlimited premium connectivity" are having it removed, since it says "life of the car" but these people are being told by tesla "sorry there is nothing we can do".

Probably the same reason this occasionally happens with used sales on EAP/FSD/etc and is eventually fixed.

Teslas back-end IT is terrible and incompetent because they built their own mnemonic device out of stone knives and bear skins

• Love
Reactions: navguy12
Part of me believes they do stuff like this on purpose... because for everyone that complains enough / reaches the right people to get it "corrected", there will be many who just shrug their shoulders.

On the customer end its "only" 9.99 a month. For tesla, its 9.99 a month times however many people they have to pay for, cause they are not getting this connectivity to a cellular network for free. If they can convert 1/2 the people who should have "free" based on this policy to paying... thats a lot of money.

I find this to be similar to how the TV ads for stuff like those "as seen on TV" products take about 10 seconds to order on a website (after prompting you for a million add ons) but are extremely difficult to cancel, like with policies that you need to mail them a stone tablet with that was notarized by both a catholic and baptist priest, within 14 days, to cancel.

Here is the breakdown. Please note a vehicle could theoretically fall into multiple categories (Depending on how many times it has been sold back to Tesla. The most recent transaction will trump the prior ones)

If the car was originally ordered BEFORE June 30, 2018
  • The original owner has Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.
  • If sold Private Party Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

If the car was ORDERED USED (no required build date) from Tesla BEFORE January 8, 2020
  • Car will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

Great summary - this was my understanding as well although these rules did not apply when I purchased.

My vehicle is a 6/18 that was presumably originally ordered before 6/30/2018. I bought it used from Tesla 8/30/2019.

I had read that cars ordered before 7/1/2018 had free lifetime premium connectivity and thought I may have inherited that. Checked my account and it showed 1 year connectivity with an expiration date.

When I was approaching the 1 year timeline, I checked my account and it had changed to "Included Package" or something vague like that. I was never charged and now it says "Premium Connectivity Free unlimited". That's when I saw this 1/8/2020 language on Tesla's connectivity page that seems to indicate that even though I am not the original owner I should still have free connectivity for the lifetime of the vehicle.

I hope that is correct as I've been thinking of selling it to move to MY and had planned on advertising Free Unlimited Premium Connectivity. I know it's not a massive perk ($120/yr) but it's nice to have if the new owner plans to hold on to it for a long time. Like @jjrandorin, I'd like for whoever bought it from me to not assume I lied about this if Tesla changes their tune again on this.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Here is the page back in 2019 - I also posted to the other thread.

Connectivity
Yea according to the policy then:

How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after July 1, 2018 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity.
So i had no expectation that my used m3 would have free lifetime connectivity but it looks like they made the policy for used cars more generous after this. It was a nice surprise

Bought my M3 AWD LR in December 2018 with premium connectivity included. In January 2020, I was notified that I had 30 days to sign onto premium connectivity for ~$10 a month. I signed up and haven't regretted it for a moment. Well worth it.

I got my model 3 in december of 2018 as well, and we at that time were not promised premium connectivity for longer than a year. I had included roughly the same amount of time you did. I also dont regret paying for it, even though I really am not a fan of monthly subscriptions.

I have to take my mom to dr appointments sometimes and with the new covid restrictions I need to stay in the car (frankly that I dont mind very much at all, lol). Anyway, I sit in my air controlled car and watch netflix, or youtube, and it really passes the time.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Yea according to the policy then:

How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after July 1, 2018 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity.
So i had no expectation that my used m3 would have free lifetime connectivity but it looks like they made the policy for used cars more generous after this. It was a nice surprise
When they say “used Tesla” what does that mean - a used car purchased from Tesla directly or any car that is a Tesla branded car? That may change the outcome of getting lifetime premium:

- If means FROM Tesla, then if you purchased through private party, it should stay.
- If “used Tesla” means any car that is a Tesla, then you don’t get lifetime connectivity even if purchased through private party since the car - the car is considered a used Tesla.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Quote from Tesla’s website as of today:
What connectivity package applies to Tesla cars purchased privately and have transferred ownership?
Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or before January 20, 2020 will have free Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the car.

Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020 that do not have lifetime Premium Connectivity or an active Premium Connectivity trial will receive a 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity before being eligible for subscription.”

There’s no specific wording for cars purchased AFTER jan 21, 2020 but had lifetime premium. I think they leave this purposefully ambiguous in hopes that customers will give up and just fork over $120. As someone stated earlier, to one person $120 isn’t that much but to Tesla if they get lax on the rules, they could be missing out on easy big money

Reactions: jsmay311
Getting lifetime premium connectivity not transferable anymore sucks, but I'm not surprised by that. What absolutely blows is if you pay thousands of dollars for FSD, and it wouldn't transfer for the life of the car. That'd be theft, pure and simple. No way I'd pay for that crap, even at 1/3rd of the cost. We'd never see that anyway (at least where I live), plus the horror stories of not transferring.

When the ownership transfer goes through, it seems to be being removed. The asterisk in teslas instructions does not say "from tesla". Its implied, but it doesnt say that, unless I am mis reading it.

Note, I am not trying to make some excuse for tesla. It seems to be a strange place for them to draw a line in the sand over $120 a year.

"sorry there is nothing we can do". Really? Is there actually some law of physics that prevents them from doing it? Or is it just that they could do it but have decided not to? I suspect that it is the latter and that they are simply being dishonest.

When people say that they cannot do something when they obviously could if they chose to, they should be confronted.

I bought my Model 3 used from Carvana and it was delivered in October of last year with Premium Connectivity included (car was built in September 2018). So far there haven’t been any glitches and it’s worked fine for me and I haven’t paid a dime extra for it.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus