Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ran over to Home Depot to grab some springs. Install took about a minute and made a huge difference. I have a new SR+ and the hood popped up as normal, just a bit slower and without the loud thud sound. All-in-all an excellent fix, thanks everyone for researching this!

Reactions: zhu-
The HD spring with the stock struts worked on my car at first, but then this evening after not opening the frunk for a few days, it wouldn't open enough to get my fingers under the edge, even after I pushed the frunk in and popped the open button a few times. Finally had to use a couple of pry tools to open it. I put the stock spring back in.
I've had the HD spring on for a few days and it definitely doesn't open up like it does with the normal spring. However it does open even for me to get my fingers in from the corner and still lift up the hood. So It's acceptable for me right now.

I've had the HD spring on for a few days and it definitely doesn't open up like it does with the normal spring. However it does open even for me to get my fingers in from the corner and still lift up the hood. So It's acceptable for me right now.
It worked fine for me at first, popping the frunk lid up about an inch, but yesterday it stayed completely flush with the rest of the body. This was at home, so no big deal since I have the proper tools to get it open, but I don't want this to happen some time when I'm on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
I'm seriously considering replacing the struts now. It appears that the OEM are 45 lbs. and the ones people have been using for auto open are 100+ (which is more than double). I'm thinking of looking for around 75 lbs. I don't need to auto open. I really don't think I even want that, but I do want to lessen the spring requirement. I've replaced my spring with one that is about 10% stronger than the home Depot spring and mine still won't pop

I'm seriously considering replacing the struts now. It appears that the OEM are 45 lbs. and the ones people have been using for auto open are 100+ (which is more than double). I'm thinking of looking for around 75 lbs. I don't need to auto open. I really don't think I even want that, but I do want to lessen the spring requirement. I've replaced my spring with one that is about 10% stronger than the home Depot spring and mine still won't pop

You can just replace one side only with the 100 lbs. This way when the frunk full extend and doesn't shake at the end. I tried other struts including the 75 lbs and they all make the hood wobble at full extension. I didn't want to use one strut because it just feels wrong to me. In the end I put the stock back.

Edit:
I didn't read your post fully. I think your hood is not popping because the spring you are using from home depot is a tad bit too long (2 1/2"). I'm using 1 7/8" with 0.047" wire and it works fine for me.

I tried installing the heavier strut on the frunk, and I noticed that the hood did not close flush against the side fender anymore. It was about 0.11" higher. It probably doesn't mean much but it is visible and I don't want to find out what the long term implications are. I put the factory struts back on.

• Informative
Reactions: is2scooby
I tried installing the heavier strut on the frunk, and I noticed that the hood did not close flush against the side fender anymore. It was about 0.11" higher. It probably doesn't mean much but it is visible and I don't want to find out what the long term implications are. I put the factory struts back on.

This is the main reason why I went back to the stock struts and the lighter spring instead...

Reactions: is2scooby and dloop
Since my home depot spring didn't pop my frunk , I replaced it with a different one that was about 10% stronger. That still didn't do it so I cut about 3 turns out of the home depot spring and now my frunk pops up like it should. I will have to let the seals sit for a week without opening it - which will require a little more force and check it again, but I think it's good. Still much easier than stock.

I was thinking about stronger struts but the above messages are exactly why I have been hesitant. Getting a 60 lbs or 65 lbs strut might be the necessary compromise (that won't auto lift on pop but would lessen the spring requirements). I think stock is 45 lbs and most auto lift modifications use 108 lbs!

Last edited:
Since my home depot spring didn't pop my frunk , I replaced it with a different one that was about 10% stronger. That still didn't do it so I cut about 3 turns out of the home depot spring and now my frunk pops up like it should. I will have to let the seals sit for a week without opening it - which will require a little more force and check it again, but I think it's good. Still much easier than stock.

I was thinking about stronger struts but the above messages are exactly why I have been hesitant. Getting a 60 lbs or 65 lbs strut might be the necessary compromise (that won't auto lift on pop but would lessen the spring requirements). I think stock is 45 lbs and most auto lift modifications use 108 lbs!
So a few days later (without opening my frunk) and it, again, didn't pop up when released. Yes, I was fairly easily able to pry it with my fingertips since the spring load is ALMOST just right...but this is after removing 3 turns from the Home Depot spring! I probably needed to remove 4 loops to ensure the pop each time. It's kind of funny, I'm sure Tesla sized their spring to ALWAYS pop and errored on the heavier side. Since the box came with 4 springs, I'll probably re-cut one of the spares down to be 4 turns few than the 2.5" and replace it when I get around to it. Still looking for struts that are 15" extended and around 60- 70 lbs, but no real luck. I need to make sure they have the same fitting type too.....

So a few days later (without opening my frunk) and it, again, didn't pop up when released. Yes, I was fairly easily able to pry it with my fingertips since the spring load is ALMOST just right...but this is after removing 3 turns from the Home Depot spring! I probably needed to remove 4 loops to ensure the pop each time. It's kind of funny, I'm sure Tesla sized their spring to ALWAYS pop and errored on the heavier side. Since the box came with 4 springs, I'll probably re-cut one of the spares down to be 4 turns few than the 2.5" and replace it when I get around to it. Still looking for struts that are 15" extended and around 60- 70 lbs, but no real luck. I need to make sure they have the same fitting type too.....

What’s the length of the stock spring?

What’s the length of the stock spring?
My Home Depot 2.5" spring was almost the same as stock, but slightly longer. So, the original HD spring was captured correctly, but had zero initial force in the open position, while the OEM spring definitely had some preload. Not sure that answers your question....a little less than 2.5"!

If you want to pixel peep, here's a photo of the OEM next to the HD spring.....

My Home Depot 2.5" spring was almost the same as stock, but slightly longer. So, the original HD spring was captured correctly, but had zero initial force in the open position, while the OEM spring definitely had some preload. Not sure that answers your question....a little less than 2.5"!

If you want to pixel peep, here's a photo of the OEM next to the HD spring.....

Ahh I did see that pic before. the HD spring did look longer to me....and questioned whether cutting it down to stock length would help. I bought the HD spring a couple days ago....but just haven’t gotten a round to testing it myself yet.

Hello everyone,

I also replaced the frunk hood spring, since the packet brought two springs I am open to giving the second spring to anyone in the SW Miami, Florida area. Let me know if anyone is interested. Maybe even start a separate thread where frunk spring buyers can pair up and share the second set?