Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y'all. Y'all. I read OP and I just was screaming one thing: WHAT. GUYS. THE HW3 UPGRADE IS FREE IF YOU BOUGHT FSD!!

Why is there ANYONE left with AP2.0 hardware that bought FSD? Every one of them should have already scheduled their service to get HW3 installed. For free.

There's nobody running FSD Beta or Safety Score with AP2.5 hardware because it wasn't meant for that. Last year - now a year and a half ago - free upgrades were available to all FSD owners. MCU1 + HW3 was really the only remaining concern.

Y'all can't go around whining about not getting the button / being eligible for FSD Beta if you don't keep up on the news...

Meh. I purchased FSD years ago on my jan 2017 S. Originally HW 2.0, MCU1.

I don’t care if I’m not the first to get it. I want it to be successful. And much rather go without it for a while longer if it means the chances of the government completely removing it is less. Gone this long without it. I think at most would be another year before wide release.

I did get the button right away. I have a score of 92 currently with about 1,200 miles driving like normal. With upgraded MCU.

I have AP2 cameras but they upgraded my FSD computer at the same time I upgraded the MCU.

Last edited:
We have MCU2 and AP3. Paid for it. None originally shipped with MCU1/AP2 who later UPGRADED have the beta FSD yet, which is MS/MX prior to July 2017 (or so), but again later upgraded.
Okay, so you're saying, the complaint is that even though you have MCU2 and AP3, you still haven't got the button (or thus obviously the beta)? I mean, you didn't get the button when the update came down?

That's pretty f'd up if so. That's a supported combination. But maybe because of the differences in platform (yes, MCU2+old MX/MS systems throughout the car), they just didn't create the Button firmware bundle for that car. Which would still be super jacked up.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Okay, so you're saying, the complaint is that even though you have MCU2 and AP3, you still haven't got the button (or thus obviously the beta)? I mean, you didn't get the button when the update came down?

That's pretty f'd up if so. That's a supported combination. But maybe because of the differences in platform (yes, MCU2+old MX/MS systems throughout the car), they just didn't create the Button firmware bundle for that car. Which would still be super jacked up.
I got the button with AP 2.0 cameras, upgraded MCU and FSD computer on my January 2017 Model S. But it seems more of the complaint is that people with 100 didnt get the FSD beta itself yet?

Last edited:
I got the button. But it seems more of the complaint is that people with 100 didnt get the FSD beta itself yet?
oh my god, so wait, you're saying... you've got HW3, you bought the MCU2 upgrade, AND you're playing Elon's little "Squid Game" inspired FSD Beta mini-game... And winning... AND YOU'RE STILL NOT GETTING IT?

i'm on-board with the outrage now

(wipes tears with FSD Beta-holder golden ticket)

:p:p:p

no but really, you're not honestly missing much, though it is super F'd up and I'm with you on the outrage, legitimately. It's super-very-much an issue of needing to be improved and collect training data.

I believe the major difference between AP2.0 and AP2.5 was newer/different cameras, so maybe that difference is the reason why AP2.0 cars aren't getting FSD Beta? Wouldn't play as well with the same nets everyone else is using?

oh my god, so wait, you're saying... you've got HW3, you bought the MCU2 upgrade, AND you're playing Elon's little "Squid Game" inspired FSD Beta mini-game... And winning... AND YOU'RE STILL NOT GETTING IT?

Um no.

I have a score of 92. I don’t qualify for it yet in that regard. I have the button.

If we know that MCU1 was actively considered for exclusion of "the button", then it stands to reason that if y'all got the button, there's an intent from Tesla to get FSD beta to you. There could be a reason for the delay, like we saw for the S refresh folks.

The lack of comms is def frustrating, as well as having to maintain your score for longer, but I have hope that you'll get it.

I wish this was an article that was easier to skim and digest, but here's a decent explanation of the steps along the way of AP:

More to the point of this thread: there doesn't appear to be a camera difference in AP2.5 vs AP2.0 - just a difference in radar, which is disabled in FSD Beta. So what the hell Tesla, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
More to the point of this thread: there doesn't appear to be a camera difference in AP2.5 vs AP2.0 - just a difference in radar, which is disabled in FSD Beta. So what the hell Tesla, lol.
Absolutely wrong. The cameras are unquestionably different. AP2.0 has RCCC pixels and AP2.5+ has RCCB. Even Wikipedia lists it:

You can also just see it in any dashcam video from these cars.

The difference between RCCC and RCCG means many models need to be retrained for the old cameras, and they cannot pick out many traffic control devices.

It's obvious this is why Tesla is not rolling out to these cars. The cameras are the ONLY difference once they are upgraded to MCU2 and HW3.

Reactions: dbldwn02 and ACPark

This is exactly the problem.

I would love to have the beta but if I don’t get it then that’s okay. I just want to know officially so I can stop driving like my grandmother if there is no possibility of the beta coming to us. Don’t give us the button to play the game if you won’t give us the beta. It’s insane really. Feeling like Sisyphus.

For what it's worth, I have seen someone successfully "reset" their Safety Score by opting-out of the beta, then driving for a bit, then opting-back-in. It seems to delete all the history and start you back at 100. But the caveat is: you need to have a minimum number of miles as of the day everyone is "judged". Judging by Elon's comments, I would suspect that the players for "this round" were judged as of last Friday, even though it was sent on Sunday.

If you're part of the next round, the goal now is a score of 99 - so you don't need to play so perfectly and drive yourself insane. It might make it easier to hold out for later.

Really pulling for ya' to get the beta, though. It's not... amazing... but it is a fair bit of fun, and great to participate in a hundred disengagements for both minor and major things each day. lol.

I consider myself fortunate, over 3 cars I’ve only spent $12,000 on FSD and now have FSD beta on two cars and sold the third. Didn’t recover too much money for the $2k I spent on FSD over EAP on the first car…but I still feel good with the money I spent.