Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fundamentally, the issue is that there is no word whether the people who have July 2017 or earlier cars who bought FSD and even paid to upgrade to the latest infotainment tech and and have AP3 now will EVER be able to use FSD because the unupgradeable cameras are different than the newer cars.

We’ve been patient. Years of waiting to use this feature that cost $10k. and what we want to know is IF they plan to support these cars. Yes or No and if Yes a rough estimate. My car is now over 4 years old. I’ve bought 3 Teslas. Just looking for some communication on where this stands.

Also, I RT’d some of the tweets here to my followers fwiw.
Definitely pissed. Have 100 safely score paid mcu2 upgrade and have hw3 AP w old cams 😭

From my local service center:
“Hello, Thank you for your
interest in upgrading the full
self driving. Currently there is
no solution or upgrade for the
cameras that has been made
available to us. There has
been a lot of discussion so
this should be an offering we
see in the future but as of
now, is unavailable. As soon
as a solution is ready, we
would be happy to perform
the upgrade. I would suggest
keeping an eye on the
upgrade section of your
mobile app as that will be the
first place it is listed once
available for your vehicle.
Once again, thank you and
have a great day”

Not all parts though, but supposedly good enough for vision based FSD beta(until they find another reason to leave us out again). Here's a list of differences from my reddit post I made 3 years ago between Pre July 2017 and Post July 2017 Model S builds

1. Camera suite - AP2.0 has RCCC filters compared to AP2.5 which has RCCB filters, not sure if the resolution or anything else is also different
  2. Radar - AP2.0 has a 160m range Bosch radar while AP2.5 has a Continental 250m range Radar (Radar is also not just longer range, conti radar is dual range, with pedestrian detections and such (not sure that part is as important)
  3. All AP2.0 cars have MCU1
  4. Needed required Wiring redundancy (not sure if any internal wirings need to be upgraded, when I took my AP2.0 car for a simple upgrade for door handle lights and rear door puddle lights, it was evaluated as not feasible)
5. There's a new efuse block missing in ap2.0 cars with a bunch of redundant wiring. new radar needs additional wiring too since it has two canbuses

6. steering rack is different in hw2.5 and allows for redundancy and dual input, nothing like this on hw2.0
dg6kxwkug5q21.jpg
What's weird is that my July 2015 MS 70D had the lane departure steering wheel shaker. And of course our 2017 M3 and 2020 MY have this feature, too.

The service appointment I scheduled as soon as I saw Elon’s tweet was finally addressed today. It was originally scheduled for November 1st as that was the earliest available appointment. When they wrote me a similar message to others posted that there is currently no upgrade they can do & that they would cancel the appt I asked if we could just postpone it for now, with the hope that instructions will be made available soon. They agreed to postpone it once & updated the date to 11/22. They said if there are no instructions by then that they will cancel the appt & then I’ll have to request a new one once it shows in the upgrades section of the app.

100% you are not getting it. Opt out for now and enjoy your car again. I did today. Nice to be able to use the brakes again.
I literally just spent $1500 on MCU2 last week too, lol. Its crazy because MCU2 opened up a ton of new features and dash visualizations (signs, road markings, objects, etc). Strange to me that it can show all these upgrades but still not enough to run Beta.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka