Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get to ask about the monocam, but when I brought up the triple cam "B" vs "C" cam discrepancy, he brushed it off as "you can't believe everything you read online" and "we're doing it based on the bulletin"

I guess we'll just see what happens when this gets done in a few weeks. If it turns out to be the right parts, then great. If it's wrong, it'll be their problem to fix lol
You certainly can’t believe everything on the Internet but I can assure you that when I first took my car in for the cameras, I asked the service rep to double check with his parts guy. He doubled checked and assured me the triple camera you listed was the correct one. I went home and about five hours later got a call apologizing for their error. Two weeks later on my second visit the correct triple camera was installed and I now have nice bright colors on all cameras. Sorry that you are going to waste a trip just as I did.

P.S. After they install the wrong triple camera, drive around the block and check your Dashcam clips for proof that you have the wrong triple. Then drive back and show them that sometimes online info is more reliable than the information they get from Fremont:)

Last edited:
I didn't get to ask about the monocam, but when I brought up the triple cam "B" vs "C" cam discrepancy, he brushed it off as "you can't believe everything you read online" and "we're doing it based on the bulletin"

I guess we'll just see what happens when this gets done in a few weeks. If it turns out to be the right parts, then great. If it's wrong, it'll be their problem to fix lol
Just google it for them!
When you google "1089531-00-C" you get it's a "2016 Tesla Model S Ap2 Auto Pilot Forward Facing Camera", so obviously not the correct part, it is the same you already have installed.

I was hopeful about a mobile tech install for next week, but Tesla contacted me through the app saying it was still too new for them in our area and they weren't comfortable sending a mobile tech and instead scheduled us for a service center visit. Sadly the time they picked we aren't going to be in the area, so we just pushed it out a bit to early January.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Did they show up this morning or postponed you?
So the tech called me at 8:30AM asking what else I needed, because all they had me down was for a tire check and nothing else. I tried to explain that I needed the camera upgrade, but it sounded like he had no idea what that was. He said he would talk to his supervisor about it, and that my appointment would be rescheduled. I checked the estimate in the app and sure enough, all it showed was Tire Check for $0. I am guessing their system was not set up correctly, because I picked FSD Camera Upgrade when I booked the appointment, about 2 weeks ago. Did you add a note mentioning the FSD Camera Upgrade? Probably something I should have done.

I just checked my app and the appointment has been changed to Dec 27th but it is still a Mobile appointment. I will message them and ask for clarification.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
So the tech called me at 8:30AM asking what else I needed, because all they had me down was for a tire check and nothing else. I tried to explain that I needed the camera upgrade, but it sounded like he had no idea what that was. He said he would talk to his supervisor about it, and that my appointment would be rescheduled. I checked the estimate in the app and sure enough, all it showed was Tire Check for $0. I am guessing their system was not set up correctly, because I picked FSD Camera Upgrade when I booked the appointment, about 2 weeks ago. Did you add a note mentioning the FSD Camera Upgrade? Probably something I should have done.

I just checked my app and the appointment has been changed to Dec 27th but it is still a Mobile appointment. I will message them and ask for clarification.
This happened with my appointment too. Shortly after making it I sent a message to ask about parts availability & they said the only thing the appointment showed was a tire pressure check. So they then fixed my appointment.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D

When I set my appointment I selected the camera upgrade from the service menu.
The next day I received a message from service asking me if I made the appointment by mistake, if not what's the request. So I told them...
Apparently selecting the camera upgrade option does not show up on their end.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
When I set my appointment I selected the camera upgrade from the service menu.
The next day I received a message from service asking me if I made the appointment by mistake, if not what's the request. So I told them...
Apparently selecting the camera upgrade option does not show up on their end.

Hah wow.

Clearly, it's all hands on deck at Tesla for getting their best supporters and early adopters FSD which was promised for the last 5 years...

Update! My appointment has been switched to the Orlando Service Center and moved to Jan 6th. "..this request is not capable of Mobile Service"

Send them a similar message questioning why mobile can't do it
[email protected]

I sent them this email, not that it will do anything but I had to let them know how I feel...

To:OrlandoService
Wed, Dec 15 at 10:27 AM

Hello,

First of all, I would like to express my frustration and disappointment that I was notified on the morning of the appointment that it could not be completed by mobile service...
I took time off and rushed back from Ohio to make sure I'd be home for the appointment!
The appointment had been scheduled for 2 weeks, and you only found out on the morning of?
You claimed that a part was found damaged and had to be postponed... that I would have believed it, if the second message didn't say the appointment had to be changed from mobile to in store.

Second, please help me understand why the camera retrofit cannot be completed by the mobile service, when on the tesla website it clearly states that this upgrade can be done by mobile service?
In the TMC forum (Tesla Motors Club) some are receiving the camera retrofit via mobile service without any problem, while others are receiving the same message you sent me, that it cannot be completed by mobile service.

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
How long will the camera replacements take?
The camera replacement process will take up to an hour to complete.
Can Mobile Service complete the camera replacements?
Yes. The camera replacements may be completed by Mobile Service or at a Tesla Service Center.

Why this discrepancy?

Thanks,

Update! My appointment has been switched to the Orlando Service Center and moved to Jan 6th. "..this request is not capable of Mobile Service"
So for me they waited until the last minute and then made up a lame excuse about a damaged part and postponed it... for you they simply decided to ignore your service request until the last minute to then ask you what it is you need and then postpone it.
This is getting from bad to worse!

I messaged my Service peeps in the app since they were being persistent about me having the correct part. I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks!
Screenshot_20211216-095616.png

Chiming in to echo what others have said about Tesla not seeing anything on their end when selecting the camera upgrade that we were invited to - I suspect either somebody pulled the trigger too early and we weren't supposed to get the invite or, because it's so narrowly specific to a (relatively) small group of vehicles, they coded something incorrectly so it doesn't show up properly on the Tesla service end.

Slightly off topic, but for anyone still stuck on 32.22 if you opt out, connect to WiFi, and manually check for an update on the software tab it should pull 36.5.1 at minimum.

It wasn't being pushed to me automatically it seems but I had to manually "check for updates" via the Software tab to pull it.

Thanks, is it worthwhile to upgrade? I'm stuck on .22 but I don't think that .36 has any significant improvements.

I was hopeful about a mobile tech install for next week, but Tesla contacted me through the app saying it was still too new for them in our area and they weren't comfortable sending a mobile tech and instead scheduled us for a service center visit.....
Ah, well at least they gave you a reason instead of just saying we don't do mobile service like some SCs are saying. Perhaps this gives some hope for a few other customers that if the SC becomes more comfortable doing the upgrade, then they may start doing mobile. The one here in Reno started mobile service almost right from the beginning.

Thanks, is it worthwhile to upgrade? I'm stuck on .22 but I don't think that .36 has any significant improvements.

I really like the ability to select charging current and schedule departure time or charging start time all from the app !

Basically what @valem said, they are nice QOL improvements.

Personally I’m hoping that by going to 36.5.1 that I might be back on the update train and get 40.6 or 44.5 soon which has been coming to MCU2 S/X.