Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How the heck did they get beta then when all of officially upgraded cars still haven’t? I guess Teslas servers see the car as a complete 2.5 hardware vehicle and disregard the model year entirely?
Yeah, to tesla it's the same as a complete 2.5 car now. I'm still 99% sure the "autopilotcameratype" gateway config is the gating item for fsd beta access currently. But as we've seen, setting that does *not* work on "HW2" vehicles because the APE rejects the config. (I think the APE must have some code that is looking for the other HW items to match too; eg the steering rack).

With that said, FSD beta runs just fine as best I can tell on a "HW2" car with the autopilotcameratype still set to RCCC (both with RCCC cameras and with the upgraded RCCB ones)... So your guess is as good as mine as to what the issue actually is.

One thought: Maybe they just want to keep their training dataset "clean" and not include clips/etc from RCCC cars? And they haven't yet added the "HW 2 radar + steering rack + RCCB camera" config to the APE codebase? Which would mean they'll add us in with a future update once they have that in place...

Well, after two weeks with the mobile appointment scheduled, I get this lame excuse this morning, ON THE DAY OF THE APPOINTMENT.
I took time off to be home for it.
They had to wait the day of to postpone it? Super frustrating!
First they say that a part is damaged and have to order a replacemnt, immediately after, that mobile can't do the camera upgrade.
:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_5715.PNG
    IMG_5715.PNG
    468.4 KB · Views: 83
Yeah, to tesla it's the same as a complete 2.5 car now. I'm still 99% sure the "autopilotcameratype" gateway config is the gating item for fsd beta access currently. But as we've seen, setting that does *not* work on "HW2" vehicles because the APE rejects the config. (I think the APE must have some code that is looking for the other HW items to match too; eg the steering rack).

With that said, FSD beta runs just fine as best I can tell on a "HW2" car with the autopilotcameratype still set to RCCC (both with RCCC cameras and with the upgraded RCCB ones)... So your guess is as good as mine as to what the issue actually is.

One thought: Maybe they just want to keep their training dataset "clean" and not include clips/etc from RCCC cars? And they haven't yet added the "HW 2 radar + steering rack + RCCB camera" config to the APE codebase? Which would mean they'll add us in with a future update once they have that in place...
This seems like the most likely explanation of the situation to me as well. Also, I wonder if they're holding up software updates to our class of vehicles until they implement such a change? Does anyone in our group have anything newer than 2021.36.x?

Well, after two weeks with the mobile appointment scheduled, I get this lame excuse this morning, ON THE DAY OF THE APPOINTMENT.
I took time off to be home for it.
They had to wait the day of to postpone it? Super frustrating!
First they say that a part is damaged and have to order a replacemnt, immediately after, that mobile can't do the camera upgrade.
:mad:
Oh no, I have an Orlando Mobile Service appointment tomorrow morning for the camera swap, I am guessing I will get cancelled too.

Indeed. I did a bit of digging and found out that this car belongs to a very dedicated owner that did their own AP 2.5 hardware retrofit. It was originally an *AP1* vehicle; they added radar, new steering rack, cameras, etc and it now has HW3 + MCU2. So it actually has newer hardware than our "HW2" vintage vehicles, even post camera upgrade (specifically, it has the steering rack with redundant CAN, and the longer range conti radar).
Impressive work by that owner but hopefully he/she didn’t pay much for the now useless upgraded radar hardware:cool: I am a little puzzled though. How would one possibly convert a AP1 car to an AP2+ car? People have inquired about that possibility for several years. Typical of me to be skeptical but this sounds like a joke.

When Elon was asked about upgrades to AP1 he noted it could not be done since that involved upgrades to the cutoff Mobileye hardware. What digging around did you do that would suggest Elon is wrong?

Jason Hughes, Hacker Supreme, also nixed the possibility although his tweet needed an edit or two to be clearer

Last edited:
Oh no, I have an Orlando Mobile Service appointment tomorrow morning for the camera swap, I am guessing I will get cancelled too.
Is your appointment still stuck at the Preparation step?
"We're preparing your service visit and will reach out if we need further information"

Mine was like that for 2 weeks, never got the invoice with the part numbers...

Please let me know what happens and if they reschedule you what excuse they give you.

Reactions: YellyYeti
Neither said it can't be done. They just said it wouldn't be worth the effort. (Though Jason pretty much said the same thing about adding AP1 to a non-AP car, but he did it anyway.)
Ok, obviously I have diverted this thread. Getting back to the topic: Assuming this former AP1 car is the 2016 S reported with FSD Beta, that is bad news for us as there now isn’t even a single known upgraded HW2.0 car with FSD Beta.

I sent them this email, not that it will do anything but I had to let them know how I feel...

To:OrlandoService
Wed, Dec 15 at 10:27 AM

Hello,

First of all, I would like to express my frustration and disappointment that I was notified on the morning of the appointment that it could not be completed by mobile service...
I took time off and rushed back from Ohio to make sure I'd be home for the appointment!
The appointment had been scheduled for 2 weeks, and you only found out on the morning of?
You claimed that a part was found damaged and had to be postponed... that I would have believed it, if the second message didn't say the appointment had to be changed from mobile to in store.

Second, please help me understand why the camera retrofit cannot be completed by the mobile service, when on the tesla website it clearly states that this upgrade can be done by mobile service?
In the TMC forum (Tesla Motors Club) some are receiving the camera retrofit via mobile service without any problem, while others are receiving the same message you sent me, that it cannot be completed by mobile service.

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
How long will the camera replacements take?
The camera replacement process will take up to an hour to complete.
Can Mobile Service complete the camera replacements?
Yes. The camera replacements may be completed by Mobile Service or at a Tesla Service Center.

Why this discrepancy?

Thanks,

Reactions: T-Mom
Seems like they are for MCU2/AP3 upgrades - we seem to be in that same "ineligible for FSD beta" group. 😪
Meh, I don't think they're remotely the same issue. One is Tesla's competence and execution to get cars with upgraded cameras "on the list", which they'll no doubt do in the coming days/weeks. In the other case, anybody who still thinks MCU1 is going to support FSD is deluded.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Meh, I don't think they're remotely the same issue. One is Tesla's competence and execution to get cars with upgraded cameras "on the list", which they'll no doubt do in the coming days/weeks. In the other case, anybody who still thinks MCU1 is going to support FSD is deluded.
So what you are saying is that Tesla needs to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 to support FSD?

Reactions: dbldwn02