Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chiming in with a 2017 S that received the FSD Beta firmware a couple of days ago.

Nothing more to add other than (IMHO):
1. Perception is WAY better than I expected
2. Car control continues to baffle - Certain things are fine, other things have been issues for years, but these "should" be easily fixable
3. Mapping is still pretty bad, which I believe makes #2 worse

Case in point, went to pick up lunch, car drives fine the entire way, pulls into large, blatantly obvious parking lot, speed limit changes to 35MPH (?!?!?) Leaving from picking up lunch, pulls correctly into the rightmost lane, which quickly becomes a right-turn only lane, car knows it needs to move left, briefly attempts, aborts, goes back for the right lane. THESE are fixable issues.

Most impressive, in the middle of the afternoon, a big ass white tail deer is sauntering perpendicularly across a 2 lane 35MPH road. With FSD Beta engaged, I decided to play chicken and hover over the brake pedal to see what would happen as there was plenty of room. While the deer was paused in the oncoming/opposite lane, I saw what I think was a dog icon appear and the car began slowing down quickly. As the deer moved into my lane, I could see it was highlighted as blue on the dash and the car came to a stop while it sauntered off into the woods. Once it was all-clear, the car resumed normally. To me, THIS is the kind of safety feature that can help today, right now, this moment - perception.

Case in point, went to pick up lunch, car drives fine the entire way, pulls into large, blatantly obvious parking lot, speed limit changes to 35MPH (?!?!?) Leaving from picking up lunch, pulls correctly into the rightmost lane, which quickly becomes a right-turn only lane, car knows it needs to move left, briefly attempts, aborts, goes back for the right lane....
I see this one a lot when coming into my neighborhood from various directions. It knows it needs to go straight, but gets stuck in the right lane anyway (a merge lane that ends and turns right). It's always done that since last year. Hopefully one day that will work. Of course if I manually indicate for it to get in the left lane before the merge, then it continues as it should.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I thought that when a sensor fails, it gives a specific error message about that. I got such a message but that was 4 years ago and it was replaced. No problem since that time. I don't know if it still gives a specific error message or not.
Here's the thread about the issue - so hopefully a firmware rather than a hardware issue...

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
TeslaFi is showing a lot more 2016 vehicles on FSD Beta 10.12 while during 10.11, there weren't any 2016 X in its database. Here's some of the lowest 2016 VINs I see right now of the 6 X and 13 S:

• X P90D 25XXX
  • X 90D 25XXX
  • X 75D 26XXX
  • X 90D 34XXX

• S 90D 156XXX
  • S P100D 159XXX
  • S 75D 162XXX
  • S 90D 164XXX
Both those sets seem to match up with VINs delivered around October 2016 with HW2's introduction.

Case in point, went to pick up lunch, car drives fine the entire way, pulls into large, blatantly obvious parking lot, speed limit changes to 35MPH (?!?!?)
This....on my first drive with FSD beta I started in my neighborhood. It was quite startling when the car tried to speed up to 35 while directly going toward the closed front gates (and showed no signs of stopping). Given the road has no lines and is clearly residential, I was shocked that the speed limit was 35 (while the posted # is 15). Seem to have the same issue when returning home....turns correctly down the street, then immediately speeds up like its going to run down the closed gate thats just ~150 feet away

Here's the thread about the issue - so hopefully a firmware rather than a hardware issue...
Car was back to normal today, so "sleeping" over night resolved the issue for now.

This....on my first drive with FSD beta I started in my neighborhood. It was quite startling when the car tried to speed up to 35 while directly going toward the closed front gates (and showed no signs of stopping). Given the road has no lines and is clearly residential, I was shocked that the speed limit was 35 (while the posted # is 15). Seem to have the same issue when returning home....turns correctly down the street, then immediately speeds up like its going to run down the closed gate thats just ~150 feet away
My car thinks it is 45 mph for the first 150 feet into my neighborhood (same as, the road before the turn.) Rocket launch to slamming on brakes. Maybe the speed limit of the road you are turning in from is 35?

My car thinks it is 45 mph for the first 150 feet into my neighborhood (same as, the road before the turn.) Rocket launch to slamming on brakes. Maybe the speed limit of the road you are turning in from is 35?
Yes, the road I was turning from into my neighborhood is 35 mph....it just baffles me it doesn't at least see the gate 100 feet ahead and slow down instead of sprinting for it. I've yet to have the courage to see if the car is actually going to see the gate and stop. However, I get the same issue when I start FSD inside my neighborhood as it thinks the unmarked road is 25 (or 35...cant recall), which is way too fast for my crowded townhome community (with a posted speed limit of 15 mph).

It doesn't help that I generally keep my speed offset around 15%, which is great around atlanta drivers.....It just becomes ever so problematic when Tesla incorrectly sets the baseline speed limit far exceeding the actual limit.

Ok. thanks. I don't think the retrofitted MX or MS vehicles are getting the FSD beta invite after accruing 100 miles on AP>
I did. I opted my 2016 Mod S with upgraded computer and cameras out of the system in late January after it became obvious no more people were being added to the program. I opted back in last Sunday and received the FSD beta on Tuesday after accumulating 100 miles on auto steer…

Reactions: MTOman and Dr Doom
TeslaFi is showing a lot more 2016 vehicles on FSD Beta 10.12 while during 10.11, there weren't any 2016 X in its database. Here's some of the lowest 2016 VINs I see right now of the 6 X and 13 S:

• X P90D 25XXX
  • X 90D 25XXX
  • X 75D 26XXX
  • X 90D 34XXX

• S 90D 156XXX
  • S P100D 159XXX
  • S 75D 162XXX
  • S 90D 164XXX
Both those sets seem to match up with VINs delivered around October 2016 with HW2's introduction.
Yeah. My previous X was an 09/2016 build with VIN 21029. Made the month before the AP2 switchover.