Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ColdEnvy does some interesting winter drives which should provide some good data for Tesla. He does a good wrap up starting at 16:00
"FSD is not ready for snow" but that is no surprise. Actually does better than I expected but a long way to go. He is brave to even try!

No, FSD is nowhere near ready for snow! I’ve tried a couple times when the roads are empty and I feel I can do it safely.

The first thing you do when you head out in snow or other winter weather is get an idea of how slippery it is. You start to do this by looking at the roads and the type or snow (or whatever form of water fell from the sky.) Then you look at how much is on the ground. Once you’re on the road you get a feel for how easy it is to start and stop and you adjust your speed, how much you slow down for turns/curves, how closely you follow people and how soon you start braking. FSD does none of this.

The other thing you typically do is drive in the tracks others have made on the road until the roads have been plowed. FSD doesn’t do this, either. I’ve slid all the way through an intersection with the ABS trying in vain to stop the car. FSD didn‘t blink an eye and promptly kept going at the posted speed.

None of this is surprising - you learn how to drive in good conditions first, then you learn to adapt for inclement weather. FSD is still on ’phase 1’ and anyone who trusts FSD in snow or ice is a fool.

No, FSD is nowhere near ready for snow! I’ve tried a couple times when the roads are empty and I feel I can do it safely.

The first thing you do when you head out in snow or other winter weather is get an idea of how slippery it is. You start to do this by looking at the roads and the type or snow (or whatever form of water fell from the sky.) Then you look at how much is on the ground. Once you’re on the road you get a feel for how easy it is to start and stop and you adjust your speed, how much you slow down for turns/curves, how closely you follow people and how soon you start braking. FSD does none of this.

The other thing you typically do is drive in the tracks others have made on the road until the roads have been plowed. FSD doesn’t do this, either. I’ve slid all the way through an intersection with the ABS trying in vain to stop the car. FSD didn‘t blink an eye and promptly kept going at the posted speed.

None of this is surprising - you learn how to drive in good conditions first, then you learn to adapt for inclement weather. FSD is still on ’phase 1’ and anyone who trusts FSD in snow or ice is a fool.
Nice write-up and well covered. I would just add the ability to expect the unexpected, ice/snow/water layers which vary variably with myriad unpredictable factors, black ice, blah blah blah. I would also simplify the statement "anyone who trusts FSD in snow or ice is a fool" to anyone who trusts FSD is a fool.

Last edited:
It’s quite refreshing to see so many finally see what I’ve been saying for over a year now. Peoples eyes are FINALLY opening..
It is a failure but so what? You can't succeed without failing. Just as you cannot be right without being wrong, both are impossible. Failure is not the question, the process and will to success is.......

You have to embrace and learn from failure and being wrong or you will never move forward.........

It is a failure but so what? You can't succeed without failing. Just as you cannot be right without being wrong, both are impossible. Failure is not the question, the process and will to success is.......

You have to embrace and learn from failure and being wrong or you will never move forward.........

It's not a failure until Tesla says it's given up on making it better.

It's not a failure until Tesla says it's given up on making it better.
That’s what Elizabeth Holmes kept saying… :p

Seriously, you and @PACEMD are correct - Tesla is trying to do something no one has really done with FSD and unsurprisingly they are having difficulties. One bit I take away from all the update notes is how they’ve seemingly needed to switch paradigms more than once when it comes to various facets of the FSD stack. That says their original approach either wasn’t working or wasn’t scalable to the degree necessary. (Or wouldn’t work with the hardware they had/wanted to use.) It’s also a part of developing a system de novo; they don’t have a roadmap or other work to build.

Still, what bothers me is not the failures; it’s statements by Elon that at best are naive and misleading but at worst could be considered fraud. Everyone [here] knows not to trust Elon’s predictions, but when do ‘aspirational statements’ turn into deceit?

Still, what bothers me is not the failures; it’s statements by Elon that at best are naive and misleading but at worst could be considered fraud. Everyone [here] knows not to trust Elon’s predictions, but when do ‘aspirational statements’ turn into deceit?
Right, but it does certainly generate publicity and entertainment. A more staid CEO would not draw in the same crowds. And when that traditional CEO made a statement everyone would damn well expect to hold them to that statement. Musk wiggles free from all those traditional restraints........

Last edited:
Reactions: LSDTester#1