Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Attempts to Kill Me; Causes Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been trying to work with Tesla to resolve this issue out of the public domain, but they have been characteristically terrible and honestly don't seem to care. Over the last 3 weeks, I have sent multiple emails, followed up via phone calls, escalated through my local service center, and nobody from Tesla corporate has even emailed or called to say they are looking into this. One of my local service center technicians opened a case with engineering, which she said would take 90 days to review. I find that absurd, especially when Tesla is releasing new versions every 2 weeks. I think it's important for people to be extra cautious about which roads they engage FSD beta on, especially since Tesla seems to be ignoring my report entirely.

49548280121_4d220fbae7_c.jpg

This incident happened almost 3 weeks ago on Monday, November 22nd at around 6:15 in the evening, just shortly after the sun had set. I was driving my Tesla Model Y on a two-lane rural road and had FSD engaged. The car was still on version 10.4 at the time. It was a clear night, no rain or adverse weather conditions. Everything was going fine, and I had previously used FSD beta on this stretch of road before without a problem. There was some occasional phantom braking, but that had been sort of common with 10.4.

A right banked curve in this two lane road came up with a vehicle coming around the curve the opposite direction. The Model Y slowed slightly and began making the turn properly and without cause for concern. Suddenly, about 40% of the way through the turn, the Model Y straightened the wheel and crossed over the center line into the direct path of the oncoming vehicle. I reacted as quickly as I could, trying to pull the vehicle back into the lane. I really did not have a lot of time to react, so chose to override FSD by turning the steering wheel since my hands were already on the wheel and I felt this would be the fastest way to avoid a front overlap collision with the oncoming vehicle. When I attempted to pull the vehicle back into my lane, I lost control and skidded off into a ditch and through the woods.

I was pretty shaken up and the car was in pieces. I called for a tow, but I live in a pretty rural area and could not find a tow truck driver who would touch a Tesla. I tried moving the car and heard underbody shields and covers rubbing against the moving wheels. I ended up getting out with a utility knife, climbing under the car, and cutting out several shields, wheel well liners, and other plastic bits that were lodged into the wheels. Surprisingly, the car was drivable and I was able to drive it to the body shop.

Right after the accident, I made the mistake of putting it in park and getting out of the vehicle first to check the situation before I hit the dashcam save button. The drive to the body shop was over an hour long, so the footage was overridden. Luckily, I was able to use some forensic file recovery software to recover the footage off the external hard drive I had plugged in.

In the footage, you can see the vehicle leave the lane, and within about 10 frames, I had already begun pulling back into the lane before losing control and skidding off the road. Since Teslacam records at about 36 frames per second, this would mean I reacted within about 360ms of the lane departure. I understand it is my responsibility to pay attention and maintain control of the vehicle, which I agreed to when I enrolled in FSD beta. I was paying attention, but human reaction does not get much faster than this and I am not sure how I could have otherwise avoided this incident. The speed limit on this road is 55mph. I would estimate FSD was probably going about 45-50mph, but have no way to confirm. I think the corrective steering I applied was too sharp given the speed the vehicle was going, and I lost grip with the pavement. On the 40% speed slowed down version of the clip, you can sort of see the back end of the car break loose in the way the front end starts to wiggle as the mailbox makes its way to the left side of the frame.

Surprisingly, I somehow managed to steer this flying car through a mini-forest, avoiding several trees (although I did knock off the driver's side mirror). There is no side panel damage whatsoever. The bumper cover is ruined and the car sustained fairly severe structural/suspension damage, both front and rear suspension components.

Luckily, nobody was hurt (except my poor car). I could not imagine the weight on my conscience if I had been too slow to intervene and ended up striking that oncoming vehicle. Front overlap collisions are some of the most deadly ways to crash a car, and bodily injury would have been very likely.

I have a perfect driving record and have never had an at-fault accident in the over 10 years I have been licensed. The thought of filing an insurance claim and increasing my premiums over this incident makes me sick. I am considering legal action against Tesla, but I'm not going to get into that here. Just wanted to make everyone aware and hyper-vigilant about FSD. I thought I was, but then this happened. I am going to be much more careful about the situations in which I decide to engage it. There is too much at stake, it is not mature enough, and frankly, Tesla's apathy and lack of communication around this incident really concerns me, as both an owner and a road-user.

tl;dr: Be careful with FSD, folks. And if you get into an accident, hit the dashcam save button or honk your horn before you put it in park.

Display of a Tesla car on autopilot mode showing current speed, remaining estimated range, speed limit and presence of vehicles on motorway lanes” by Marco Verch is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to say it better:

I see this week an army of internet twolls deployed to bash Elon and Tesla after Reuters and others have published a FUDding about Tesla in response to Elon's Time magazine appearance. I feel the FUDge papers and twolls are paid these days increasingly more with political propaganda money rather than with direct competitor money.

It's hard to say it better:

I see this week an army of internet twolls deployed to bash Elon and Tesla after Reuters and others have published a FUDding about Tesla in response to Elon's Time magazine appearance. I feel the FUDge papers and twolls are paid these days increasingly more with political propaganda money rather than with direct competitor money.

still nowhere as bad as during Model 3 production hell :D

The second is if you take over using steering that it doesn't cancel out of TACC. So there is no full take over unless you steering, and slightly brake at the same time.
Yeah this is the one that worries me, and I've already emailed the FSD beta team about this (and encourage others to do so as well). IMHO when you input manual steering FSD should totally disengage (including TACC). In fact, leaving TACC engaged can cause the car to speed up, which is absolutely the wrong thing to do when you are dealing with an emergency.

I realize that TACC should not disengage in freeway situations, in this case the car suddenly slowing down after manual steering on a freeway is dangerous, but on normal roads leaving TACC engaged is a serious safety concern IMHO.

Don't think I've seen an autonomous vehicle accident have a material negative impact on the stock price. I haven't seen a positive impact on the stock price either, because I don't think many (if any) analysts expect much to materialize any time soon.

I think most people would also agree that autonomous vehicle development to curtail accidents caused by human error is all a noble cause and something we should be working hard on, which we are. And the US regulators have clearly been taking a hands-off approach to avoid stifling innovation in this space.

Media will do what media does, they're in the business of generating revenue through viewership and clicks.

People will die in Teslas, they die in every form of transport ever invented, including walking. But cars are much safer now, I think we can all agree. But, historically, auto manufacturers have been pushed kicking and screaming to increase safety. Even trying to get them to improve the air we breathe has been a hard slog. They have lied and cheated and lobbied every step of the way.
Credit must be given to Mr Musk. He set out from the beginning to create cars that were safer for society and safer to drive. Not because he had to but because he wanted to. Even the selection of beta testers concentrates on safety first

Both of these scenarios have happened to me multiple times, and by being alert, I was easily able to keep the car under my control. People who can't do this, or can't maintain the vigilance needed to stay safe should not be a beta tester. Either have the self-awareness to realize this and voluntarily bail from the program, or Tesla will continue to have to be more of a nanny to keep things safe.
When it happens for the 1000th time, you might have missed it, just once.

A split second after a miss, airbags go boom.

Don't think I've seen an autonomous vehicle accident have a material negative impact on the stock price. I haven't seen a positive impact on the stock price either, because I don't think many (if any) analysts expect much to materialize any time soon.

I think most people would also agree that autonomous vehicle development to curtail accidents caused by human error is all a noble cause and something we should be working hard on, which we are. And the US regulators have clearly been taking a hands-off approach to avoid stifling innovation in this space.

Media will do what media does, they're in the business of generating revenue through viewership and clicks.
The Uber death accident maybe?

Reactions: AndreP and DanCar
Here's something I noticed this week, in case anyone wants to wonder if Tesla is covered negatively, or s covered fairly.

A completely non-automotive story, a very disturbing one about the indictment of a cable television producer who is accused of a meticulously-planned molastation of a young child
(excerpted, emphasis added):

"...​
Griffin later transferred over $3,000 to the mother for plane tickets so the mother and her 9-year-old daughter could fly from Nevada to Boston’s Logan airport,” prosecutors said. “The mother and child flew to Boston in July of 2020, where Griffin picked them up in his Tesla and drove them to his Ludlow house. At the house, the daughter was directed to engage in..."​

CNN Producer Tried to Get Parents to Let Him Train Their Daughters to Be Sexually Submissive: DOJ

I'm just guessing that if he had picked them up in a Ford, Chevy, VW, Audi or whatever, it would not have been included in the story, as it has nothing to do to do with the crime charged.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
People will die in Teslas, they die in every form of transport ever invented, including walking. But cars are much safer now, I think we can all agree. But, historically, auto manufacturers have been pushed kicking and screaming to increase safety. Even trying to get them to improve the air we breathe has been a hard slog. They have lied and cheated and lobbied every step of the way.
In my small country with 5 mill inhabitants, we had 400 yearly traffic deaths 30 years ago. The last years we are well below 100 yearly deaths. Steady decline. (Psst It didn't happen because of Tesla, the whole industri is in.) In this period, traffic volume increased.

Safer cars is a very important factor. Look at EuroNCAP videos. Safer semis also with special bumper to protect small cars front, rear and sides.

Second is better roads; more highways and improved 2-lane roads with dividers between oncoming lanes being built the last 15 years. Strict speed limits and huge speed fines also help.

3rd, less driving under influence. We have a limit on blood alcohol level of 0,02 per mille. Basically, you can't even taste a beer without risking looking the driver's license. Still 2/3ds of those killed in traffic are dui. A decent social security system probably keeps number of substance abusers pretty low.

This is Europe. The US probably a different planet.

Reactions: AndreP
When it happens for the 1000th time, you might have missed it, just once.

A split second after a miss, airbags go boom.

This is also true in general being a defensive driver. I can't avoid all accidents, and I've only been in 1 accident in 30 years where the other person majorly failed to yield. But where FSD is concerned, I choose when to test, and I choose to test when I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere, or I have lots of my mind. I pay full attention. People who aren't paying attention are the ones most likely to blame the car and create clickbait threads.

As has been said over and over in this thread, there's no shortage of any of these kinds of events experienced by lots of testers. We could all post videos saying FSD is trying to kill us. But most of us knew what we signed up for (or realized very shortly after). And I think some smart people have already voluntarily left the program because it was either too stressful, or FSD was putting undue stress on their cars. If you find FSD beta too dangerous that you can't maintain your safety, it should be a no-brainer to opt back out.

In my small country with 5 mill inhabitants, we had 400 yearly traffic deaths 30 years ago. The last years we are well below 100 yearly deaths. Steady decline. (Psst It didn't happen because of Tesla, the whole industri is in.) In this period, traffic volume increased.

Safer cars is a very important factor. Look at EuroNCAP videos. Safer semis also with special bumper to protect small cars front, rear and sides.

Second is better roads; more highways and improved 2-lane roads with dividers between oncoming lanes being built the last 15 years. Strict speed limits and huge speed fines also help.

3rd, less driving under influence. We have a limit on blood alcohol level of 0,02 per mille. Basically, you can't even taste a beer without risking looking the driver's license. Still 2/3ds of those killed in traffic are dui. A decent social security system probably keeps number of substance abusers pretty low.

This is Europe. The US probably a different planet.
The vast majority of global traffic fatalities are happening in poorer developing countries with substandard infrastructure and a population driving old, bare-bones cars that lack many fundamental safety features we all take for granted right now. Or they're driving cheap mopeds and such with almost nothing for protection.

Countries in Africa are far and away the world's hotspot for traffic fatalities in the modern era in terms of accidents per person or per vehicle. And if we consider that FSD is supposed to be worth $100,000 in the future according to Elon, I find the whole argument for bringing down fatalities to be a little bit disingenuous. It will be decades before something like autonomous driving makes a dent in these numbers, much more would definitely be done right now by equipping all vehicles on the road with seat belts and air bags, encouraging their use, and spending money on infrastructure in areas with high traffic fatality rates.

Just making vehicles detect intoxicated or heavily fatigued drivers would probably bring the numbers down quite a bit, and that's already in the works

Reactions: daktari
Tesla already has a camera in the cab
Yup and there are legal moves being made to build in systems that can detect drunk drivers and disable vehicles where appropriate

It's a noble cause, but there's nothing to say that testing this immature technology on public roads will have a net benefit in the end compared to any other range of possible outcomes

The vast majority of global traffic fatalities are happening in poorer developing countries with substandard infrastructure and a population driving old, bare-bones cars that lack many fundamental safety features we all take for granted right now. Or they're driving cheap mopeds and such with almost nothing for protection.

Countries in Africa are far and away the world's hotspot for traffic fatalities in the modern era in terms of accidents per person or per vehicle. And if we consider that FSD is supposed to be worth $100,000 in the future according to Elon, I find the whole argument for bringing down fatalities to be a little bit disingenuous. It will be decades before something like autonomous driving makes a dent in these numbers, much more would definitely be done right now by equipping all vehicles on the road with seat belts and air bags, encouraging their use, and spending money on infrastructure in areas with high traffic fatality rates.

Just making vehicles detect intoxicated or heavily fatigued drivers would probably bring the numbers down quite a bit, and that's already in the works
Putting aside that Tesla's argument about traffic fatalities is largely US focused (not global), this argument about low hanging fruit in other countries sounds a lot like the argument that naysayers of EVs and other green tech use to argue against developing them. Instead they argue to continue using fossil fuels, but just to increase the efficiency, something that would cost less to reduce emissions than trying to switch away from them.

As for Elon's logic, the way FSD equipped Tesla may be worth $100k is by the cars acting as robotaxis. In such a usage, in the poor countries, the cars would not be owned by the people using them, they would be just be passengers, so the marginal cost to them is different than considering car ownership.

Reactions: EVNow
Then go watch the dozen other videos of the same behavior I posted, doing the same thing, but with in-cabin cameras so you can see for yourself.

I actually did watch them. thanks for compiling them all. I'm still convinced that, while dangerous, Tesla specifically warns us of this danger. And the people who made those videos reacted in time and didn't lose control. So all I'm saying is, people should really think hard about whether they want to participate in testing that can be dangerous if you lose attention.

I noticed your location is NH. I'm in southern NH, and I frequently am driving Boston metro. I'd imagine our experiences with FSD should be similar.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Don't we already have a feature where the car attempts to stay in lane if it detects deviation? I know i turned my setting off because the car was freaking out when I gave a cyclist a wide berth, and the car proceeded to swerve back in. Cyclist thought I was trying to push him off the road.

We do. This sort of issue can be resolved by signaling when you want to give a berth (which should probably be done anyway, but certainly isn't always natural). I leave mine on all the time. It beeps at me sometimes but I just ignore it and override the steering, or just signal.

However, it's definitely limited in its capabilities. A determined attempt to leave the roadway will not be countered. Arguably that is the right balance. But it depends on perception capability. If the car were superhuman, this would not be the right balance. So that's the issue. Having a car that knows exactly when the human driving is making the wrong decision would be a very capable vehicle, though likely not nearly ready for autonomous operation.

But it's definitely something it would be nice for Tesla to work on! (Actually the main reason I purchased FSD.) It seems like it could dramatically increase the safety of their vehicles. Unfortunately false positives have to be nearly zero, so implementing something like this suffers from many of the same issues as FSD, and like FSD, it's possible more powerful hardware and much more time will be required to implement a solid "safety net."

It's an extremely difficult problem.

I actually did watch them. thanks for compiling them all. I'm still convinced that, while dangerous, Tesla specifically warns us of this danger. And the people who made those videos reacted in time and didn't lose control. So all I'm saying is, people should really think hard about whether they want to participate in testing that can be dangerous if you lose attention.

I noticed your location is NH. I'm in southern NH, and I frequently am driving Boston metro. I'd imagine our experiences with FSD should be similar.
I don't think that is the issue.

The problem is, how to get consent from the school kids and their parents if THEY want to be part of your testing?