Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD beta is now available to everyone who has paid for it with no safety score requirement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a less tuned in observer as of late, it seems kind of crazy. Most recent video reviews I saw were that it was a bit better in some areas but still wildly unpredictable and not particularly good in actual city driving.

Musk emboldened by other things he's been able to get away with? Tesla trying to front run FSD buyer lawsuits?

What metrics have been hit or tests passed that made them feel it was ready?

Or, final thought - is this about unlocked deferred FSD revenue that accountants allow them to book if it is widely released..?

Reactions: E90alex
I'm glad Elon came through and it's available for everyone. Should have been this way from the start.

The safety score game was total BS.
No, it was not BS. People, you need to look at this from all sides, not just the "technology", or your own personal experience. Tesla has regulators in a fledgling, wild-west industry that doesn't know how to create proper rules yet, breathing down their necks. From your personal experience, the safety score was "total BS", but from the industry and regulators watching how that industry is rapidly evolving, the safety score was a shield to keep the product on track and not get shut down.

No, it was not BS. People, you need to look at this from all sides, not just the "technology", or your own personal experience. Tesla has regulators in a fledgling, wild-west industry that doesn't know how to create proper rules yet, breathing down their necks. From your personal experience, the safety score was "total BS", but from the industry and regulators watching how that industry is rapidly evolving, the safety score was a shield to keep the product on track and not get shut down.

No actually you are wrong. When did regulators say anything about the safety score? The safety score was a complete waste of time that forced me to drive dangerously.

I'm glad that people that paid for FSD got it. Except for MCU1 people haha

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
No actually you are wrong. When did regulators say anything about the safety score? The safety score was a complete waste of time that forced me to drive dangerously.

No, actually I'm right. Regulators are working on laws to govern self driving vehicles, and some states have procedures in place with applications for companies to test those self driving features. In most cases, safety drivers are needed, who must be certified as safety drivers. The manner with which that certification happens is still evolving, with enough wiggle room to allow self-certification from the car company for their drivers. The "safety score" was Tesla's interpretation of these rules, and gave them enough cover with regulators so they weren't just immediately shut down. Again, the industry is brand new and moving fast, and regulators are slow to act, so many of Tesla's policies and features (like the steering wheel nag) are designed to keep regulators at arm's length while legislation is evolving.

Frak… I’m not looking forward to driving on US-101 after this… Teslas everywhere and now lots of folks will be testing their new FSD updates on their commute.
Not every Tesla has FSD, and highway/freeway driving will still be AP, which most Teslas do have. Your 101 commute probably has lots of Teslas on AP already and you just don't notice. That won't change. Where you will see it is with those who purchased FSD, found out that it's wide release, enabled it, and use it on city streets (which it's just Autosteer on City Streets). You'll probably see some Teslas making odd lane changes from time to time, or jerky left/right turns from time to time.

The hardcore Tesla fans will use FSD Beta on city streets pretty consistently. I feel that many others will turn it on, try it out a few times, and if it does something weird or requires a disengagement, those people will back off and not use it much.

This is absurdly scary. Also, does this mean they are just giving up essentially?
The company opens up access to the software and you think they are giving up?? It means that they believe they have made great progress with making the software safe enough for anyone to try. The huge increase in user base will give Tesla access to vehicle data that will be used to improve the software.

Reactions: pilotSteve and GSP
No, actually I'm right. Regulators are working on laws to govern self driving vehicles, and some states have procedures in place with applications for companies to test those self driving features. In most cases, safety drivers are needed, who must be certified as safety drivers. The manner with which that certification happens is still evolving, with enough wiggle room to allow self-certification from the car company for their drivers. The "safety score" was Tesla's interpretation of these rules, and gave them enough cover with regulators so they weren't just immediately shut down. Again, the industry is brand new and moving fast, and regulators are slow to act, so many of Tesla's policies and features (like the steering wheel nag) are designed to keep regulators at arm's length while legislation is evolving.

An FSD beta user isn't a "safety driver"

I just saw Elon’s tweet. I did the early adoption move with FSD when I bought my late 2016 S with it included. However, my understanding is that MCU1 is incompatible with the FSD Beta. I would think they should resolve that without cost for those customers given Elon’s latest comments.

Reactions: byeLT4 and GSP
interesting. I misunderstood and thought this was for v11. You still have to opt-in though so they aren't releasing it to the public. The user still has to opt-in to the beta program and accept the agreement for same. They are just dropping the requirements to opt-in. It will be good to get that data and also help Tesla sell FSD package/sub.