Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
We all work for Tesla but we are not Tesla employees. The only benefit we can get is to test FSD beta at our own risk.
Keep on saying that. Except that you need to add: "The other benefit is that the FSD that was paid for will enter service sooner with the feedback that gets sent to the Mothership."

You paid for FSD at a considerable discount below what it'll go for once it's feature complete. It doesn't mean you get a pony, early, you get a pregnant mare and have to pay for the vet OB care.

23 MSP and after transfer I have 2023.32.4
Do you have access to FSD beta after the transfer?

My son just bought a new model Y. He did not purchase FSD but gets 3 months free. However, the three digit factory firmware version doesn't let him activate FSD beta at this point, it says it will be available in a future update.

Off the FSD topic, what were the factors that caused you to choose MS instead of M3 or MY, or the MX at this point? It seems like you have to really want Model S to forgo the $7,500 credit

My son just bought a new model Y. He did not purchase FSD but gets 3 months free. However, the three digit factory firmware version doesn't let him activate FSD beta at this point, it says it will be available in a future update.

Off the FSD topic, what were the factors that caused you to choose MS instead of M3 or MY, or the MX at this point? It seems like you have to really want Model S to forgo the $7,500 credit
Fair questions granted the answers fit my particular needs. I picked up the car and the transfer was almost immediate for FSD. For the FSDb it took roughly 2-3 weeks. My decision was based on my enjoyment owning (1st EV) a 2020 MYP which served me well and my wife wanted to get rid of the ICE truckster so the timing worked out. As I drive a lot for work more than most I appreciate the comfort options of the MSP along with the jump in range which helps. With the FSD transfer offer, 10k special price offer, and 1k referral the price was acceptable to me. While the tax credit is great and a nice contribution to those first jumping into EV my wife and I worked hard over the years and the premium offering was more then justified. While I didn’t Need the Plaid, I knew (as did my wife) that with each drive I would wish I just got what we wanted vs saving a few dollars to concede. The MSP is truly an incredible machine and fast as all hell compared to any vehicle I ever owned. I have absolutely No regrets and my wife is loving the MYP.

I’d prolly buy a new X LR, and transfer FSD, but I live in a snowy climate. I have a set of designated snow wheels/ tires for my Y. I’d have to start from scratch for an X, and they don’t have square wheels…kinda a deal breaker. And what, have to add suspension mods so the rear tires don’t wear out in 10,000miles? I drive 30,000miles a year, having to dump tires into something at an alarming rate doesn’t justify it. I bought a Tesla to avoid maintenance (oil changes and rear brake replacements) like I had to do on my past SPA Volvos, over the time of ownership. The last two Y’s I’ve had have been pretty trouble free.

Fair questions granted the answers fit my particular needs. I picked up the car and the transfer was almost immediate for FSD. For the FSDb it took roughly 2-3 weeks. My decision was based on my enjoyment owning (1st EV) a 2020 MYP which served me well and my wife wanted to get rid of the ICE truckster so the timing worked out. As I drive a lot for work more than most I appreciate the comfort options of the MSP along with the jump in range which helps. With the FSD transfer offer, 10k special price offer, and 1k referral the price was acceptable to me. While the tax credit is great and a nice contribution to those first jumping into EV my wife and I worked hard over the years and the premium offering was more then justified. While I didn’t Need the Plaid, I knew (as did my wife) that with each drive I would wish I just got what we wanted vs saving a few dollars to concede. The MSP is truly an incredible machine and fast as all hell compared to any vehicle I ever owned. I have absolutely No regrets and my wife is loving the MYP.
Thanks, and I certainly didn't mean to imply any criticism nor that the tax break is the end-all for a purchase decision. (I don't actually like the concept of the taxpayer-funded rebates but wouldn't fail to claim it if it had applied to me at the time!)

i don't have much experience with the S, and have been in the backseat of MX Ubers couple of times. It does seem like the Plaid is a relative bargain right now.

Back to the FSD, did the access to DSDb appear once you were upgraded out of the so-called "break-in" software that presumably came with the new car? Or did it just appear one day independent of software download?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I’d prolly buy a new X LR, and transfer FSD, but I live in a snowy climate. I have a set of designated snow wheels/ tires for my Y. I’d have to start from scratch for an X, and they don’t have square wheels…kinda a deal breaker. And what, have to add suspension mods so the rear tires don’t wear out in 10,000miles? I drive 30,000miles a year, having to dump tires into something at an alarming rate doesn’t justify it. I bought a Tesla to avoid maintenance (oil changes and rear brake replacements) like I had to do on my past SPA Volvos, over the time of ownership. The last two Y’s I’ve had have been pretty trouble free.
I had the impression that the predominant pre-Tesla brand was probably BMW, but I've noticed quite a few people mentioning Volvo. I have had, and still have, "too many" cars laying around and they're almost all antique Volvos including some pretty scarce models.

For me this goes back to my dad ordering an Overseas Delivery Volvo back in 1974, not for the usual European vacation tour purpose, but because we spent a year in Denmark and that plprogram included the cost of shipping it back - as long as you owned it for less than 365 days before the return. So I earned my license by driving that 4-speed+OD in 1976, and later I started buying Volvos because I knew how to work on them. (Also a little Mazda, an old Hudson and a behemoth '47 Cadillac Series75 along the way).

The type of person who accumulates and works on old Volvos is not the same as the old stereotype of a Volvo driver. I think BMW has an even smaller niche of dedicated DIY enthusiasts but it does exist. With Teslas, even more than with today's highly computerized ICE cars, the achievable mods are mostly around the edges so to speak. Not much you're likely to do with customizing motor windings or tweaking the power electronics. Fortunately Tesla's engineering is proving to be first rate (not the same as perfect) and I don't feel any sense of serious compromise, I'm very glad I got this car.

I would be looking at the new Volvo electrics also, but increasingly I'm going to need what FSD can do for me, and no one else sells anything like it despite the printed wisdom that Tesla is actually in last place for self-driving tech...

One thing I’ve noticed that seems to be better with 11.4.7 is speed limit sign recognition. It was very sketchy with 11.4.4 but has been pretty reliable for me on 4.7
I agree. Speed limit sign reading seems better, and something else I've only started noticing now is sometimes when the speed limit reduces on the highway I do Not slow down, and a message appears that says "maintaining speed for traffic flow" or something along those lines. Essentially as I'm going to work and the speed limit drops from 70 to 65 to 55, if everyone else is still going 70-75 so will I. Hadn't noticed that before but not sure if it's truly new or just something I'm noticing because it's more reliably getting those speed limit signs

Reactions: sleepydoc

Just catching up on this thread after a bit away, this thread really has become the J thread, @Ramphex. Like that one drawer in the kitchen.