Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And another one. The car really screwed up at the start and forced a couple of takeovers.

edit: this vid and the ones where it tries to turn into the opposite lane makes me think we aren’t going to be getting a wide release by the end of this year, or if we do there will be a quick yank of it after a few people let their car hit someone. I’m excited by this, and it’s clearly a good step forward, but the AP Nag defeat device thread shows me the general public can’t be trusted with this. I really hope I’m wrong because I’d love to see the visualizations on my car.

Last edited:

Longer Vid from TeslaRaj with a cleaner edit (picture in picture showing the road and the dash) and taking out all the annoying screaming at each other.

edit: voice over is a little annoying, and he kind of glosses over or doesn’t acknowledge a couple of problematic things. Still shows some impressive stuff, but the “faberge egg” stuff was over the top.

Last edited:
A lot of impressive stuff so far and it’s very cool, but also clearly still scary. Looking forward to seeing what Tesla can integrate from here on with their data collection. I wonder if Tesla considers letting people download updates with the new software but with FSD disabled, if that helps with their data collection/training? I really want wk or Green to get their hands on a build so they can maybe tell us a little bit more about what’s happening.

Driving through midtown Sacramento

looks like he’s had the most problems so far of all the vids I’ve watched. He was forced to take over quite a few times. Some very impressive stuff nonetheless (how many objects were detected, how the car detected the truck with the crap parking job and maneuvered around it), but some very clear issues, the most important of which was the car apparently not detecting the dude speeding while it was at a stop sign and starting forward. The car might have stopped when it did detect the car, but the driver did the right thing not chancing it. Sure hope that they can fix that detection better when cross traffic is speeding.

Longer Vid from TeslaRaj with a cleaner edit (picture in picture showing the road and the dash) and taking out all the annoying screaming at each other.

edit: voice over is a little annoying, and he kind of glosses over or doesn’t acknowledge a couple of problematic things. Still shows some impressive stuff, but the “faberge egg” stuff was over the top.

They clearly left only the succesful parts in the edit and it kind of paints a wrong picture here but some of it is really impressive.

Overall it seems to be great when it works (e.g. slowing for speed bumps or creeping into right turns with heavy traffic) but horrible when it doesnt (e.g. choosing the wrong lane on left turns) so it will be interesting to see how much they can improve it until december. Of course highway autopilot was also like this at first and now it can drive me for hours without it even causing me to sweat in a single dicy situation.

It lends a lot of credence to the approach of primary vision+NN FSD and I can definitely see it getting there, timeframe is unclear though.
I hope it is not long after Dojo comes online (commercial Robotaxi in early/mid 2022? would be earth shaking).

that sure is a widely misunderstood comment, sigh.

What I mean is Tesla cannot include a Lidar sensor without at least some loss of face.
Do you have any indication of if Tesla engineers have ever expressed the desire for lidar?

I mean, the comment is misunderstood only because it is full of innuendo!
You claim to report what you see. Good / bad / otherwise.
Where have you seen anyone at Tesla express the desire for lidar?

Its quite amazing overall though, and demonstrates why Tesla is right for it to be a 'limited' release at present. Am still astounded it can do half the stuff that's been shown.
I am not bashing it, I just want these things (detailed videos) out there so that we can more clearly see the progress when my Y gets these features.
And in general, it would be cool to see drives from October 2020 vs January 2021 vs June 2021 of exact same routes but with new software builds.

Reactions: gangzoom
Folks, I gotta warn you, all the "skeptics" will be moving the goal posts at an alarming rate over the next few days|weeks|months.

Brace thyself!

@Knightshade @daniel -- bet you guys glad you chickened out of the bets.
I really wish someone would have taken at least one of the bets.

Moving the goal post? What? everything we told you came true. You are looking at ~10 milers per disengagement versus waymo's ~1 million miles per disengagement.