Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, he couldn't even get the camera angle right which made the video a chore to watch. So I checked out his channel for his latest video. Guess what? The angle is still bad with the rear view mirror still in the way. And this is after tons of people mentioned it in his last video. Sigh!
And that is why I watched about 15 seconds of the video before leaving.

My entire claim, is quoting the person architecting and implementing the entire stack at Tesla -- Karpathy.
By comparison... Your claim of HD maps was quoting a TSLAQ cult member!

I will take Karpathy's definition of HD maps over yours, but I believe I have enough information to filter your posts at this point.
I hope the rest of the forum has been as enlightened as I in these past few "revelations" of yours!
anything to evade the question, I see.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Is car have a problem not possible I saw today 30 minutes drive left/turn right turn not protected red turn on strong rain and no arbort !
And if you take a look Brand doesn't sent message when an error occur on FSD to Tesla not pressing the camera icon on the right of the T others videos I saw today test drivers press evertime they saw an error on the drive but Brandon never !
I did not know that they had to press the camera icon to record. Is there a source for this?
I know that other testers are pressing it, but I thought that was just their way of capturing in case Tesla needed specifics.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
anything to evade the question, I see.
Please explain which question I evaded.
The discussion is: does Tesla use HD maps or not. I think my answer has been straight forward with sources (even videos of the sources now)

You are the one not answering the questions. You mean you want sidetrack us from the main point, to try to paint yourself as not saying that they use HD maps everywhere re
where was it stated that Tesla's current "FSD beta" does not work in absence of HD maps?

I did not know that they had to press the camera icon to record. Is there a source for this?
I know that other testers are pressing it, but I thought that was just their way of capturing in case Tesla needed specifics.
I ask a user for that because I saw they press it many time on the video

Frederic Merkelil y a 14 heures
Whats the icon camera on your screen just after the T on the right ???

Réponse sélectionnée
Gabriel Hershbergeril y a 8 heures
Sending the video to the Tesla Autopilot Engineers

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Per Karpathy, the car sees all intersections “for the first time” every time.

A map is something you save in memory for later use. Per Karpathy, the intersections and road characteristics are not saved beforehand, so Tesla doesn’t use any maps for the intersections or curbs or lane lines, etc.

Per Karpathy, Tesla does use some SD maps for approx position of stop signs and lights.

I don't see this as more useful than me just driving around turning on autopilot myself after turning. As is.... it is not useful at all and it is nowhere near ready for public release. None of those were difficult situations.
I am really grateful that you were not selected as the beta tester!!! like seriously.

Last edited:
Per Karpathy, the car sees all intersections “for the first time” every time.

A map is something you save in memory for later use. Per Karpathy, the intersections and road characteristics are not saved beforehand, so Tesla doesn’t use any maps for the intersections or curbs or lane lines, etc.

Per Karpathy, Tesla does use some SD maps for approx position of stop signs and lights.
I mean, he really should watch the videos.
They are not that long, and it gives really good insight into their thought process.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am really grateful that you were not selected as the beta tester!!! like seriously.

I was selected as a beta tester. most people with a tesla have been beta testers for years now. I have a few things in my car that still say beta.

They hand picked people to be "early access fsd". So the people who have it are beta beta testers.

This is a joke for those that dont

Here's another instance of the neural network making predictions of things it cannot see:
View attachment 602436
By design, many roundabouts are made to not allow the driver to see across, and the neural network knows that roundabouts look a certain way. Notably, the far end of the circle will have a median/curb even if it's physically impossible to see from the current position.
Here's a better example of the neural network predicting things it cannot see but based on training data experience, it makes a pretty good guess.

Before approaching the roundabout, the curbs and street name are clearly visible (and probably the crosswalk too as Tesla cameras can probably see more in the dark than the one used to take this picture), so the neural network makes a reasonable prediction that there's 2 lanes of traffic for the cross street. Also, for "straight across," the neural network predicts no crosswalk and some median separating the other side into 3 sections (notice the pink parallel lines behind the circle).

before roundabout.jpg

After getting almost through the roundabout, the cameras have a better view of what's past the roundabout and makes a better prediction of a number of things. The cross street had a yellow dividing line that wasn't noticed/predicted from the earlier position. Similarly, for the "across," it noticed there was indeed a crosswalk as well as 3 lines: white, yellow, white dividing 4 sections for parked cars, driving both ways, and more parked cars.

after roundabout.jpg

This is quite impressive for the neural network to predict the intersection, and I would think the Autopilot team would take it as a compliment that people could mistake this quality for something else.

Huh? I can’t name a single person I know of that has met this lofty metric.
I've met your lofty metric and then some by alot!
Got my license in 1968 and have never been in an accident or gotten a moving violation so obviously Tesla should have picked me!.
And the fact I drive in suburban Boston should also account for something:)
Its mostly about predicting what others will do. More than once I've noticed a car before they ran a red light or stop sign and didn't enter the intersection.

Mardak said:
By design, many roundabouts are made to not allow the driver to see across, and the neural network knows that roundabouts look a certain way.

Really? You might be right, but it doesn't seem to make sense if that is the case. Up here in my area, I have never noticed an instance where I could not see fully across the roundabout. What am I missing?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I've met your lofty metric and then some by alot!
Got my license in 1968 and have never been in an accident or gotten a moving violation so obviously Tesla should have picked me!.
And the fact I drive in suburban Boston should also account for something:)
Its mostly about predicting what others will do. More than once I've noticed a car before they ran a red light or stop sign and didn't enter the intersection.
Clearly you are the 0.001% then. For a time it was so bad that I had a car totaled nearly once a year. — All none at fault.

Has anyone tested the auto parking to see if it got any better?

Tesla Owners Silicon Valley did a Smart Summon test. They were overly positive about how much better it was but...uh...it wasn’t. Got stuck turning a corner and paused for 3 seconds 3/4 of the way in the road. Maybe it went slightly faster when on straightaway but very similar overall.

There are plenty of impressive things about the beta so far (which is very early!) but I wouldn’t put Smart Summon in that list yet.