Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 616490

Was looking at the upgrade to FSD page on my M3 and noticed that "FSD computer" is listed as an included option in the upgrade. Since HW3 (current FSD computer) is included standard on the M3, does this imply that those who purchase the upgrade now will have access to any new hardware in the future?

Also - it looks like Recognize Traffic Lights and Stop Signs is in the coming later portion. I thought FSD and EAP already did this?

View attachment 616490

Was looking at the upgrade to FSD page on my M3 and noticed that "FSD computer" is listed as an included option in the upgrade. Since HW3 (current FSD computer) is included standard on the M3, does this imply that those who purchase the upgrade now will have access to any new hardware in the future?

Also - it looks like Recognize Traffic Lights and Stop Signs is in the coming later portion. I thought FSD and EAP already did this?

It does already do that- but Tesla is terrible about updating static descriptions.

As to HW3, it wasn't standard on the Model 3 for the first ~1.5 years of production, so those folks get the upgrade included with the purchase at no added charge... (Ditto all the S/X owners who bought before HW3 became the factory installed computer)

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
According to this, the holiday release will have some FSD features:

yg0sOYl.png

According to this, the holiday release will have some FSD features:

Yes!!!

Is there a thread or place to discuss rumors of Tesla rolling FSD beta out to more people? Every time I read this thread I just get more excited.

I am interested in this too... I am not sure the best thread for this.. and also to discuss your comment below as well. Should we create a new thread. for talking about the FSD wide release / beta expansion.

What would watered down FSD beta features look like? Only right turns?

I am interested in discussing this. I could imagine, something that has the perception pipeline rewrite and maybe new visualization... but no new features.

It could also be something like confirmations before every turn, or require the driver to turn the wheel on turns.

There could be very frequent nags if you enable FSD beta in settings.

Just brainstorming

Yes!!!

I am interested in discussing this. I could imagine, something that has the perception pipeline rewrite and maybe new visualization... but no new features.

It could also be something like confirmations before every turn, or require the driver to turn the wheel on turns.

Just brainstorming

I would think any underlying changes to how the car handles inputs would be updated regardless of FSDBeta vs not. It may be a FSDBeta teaser that has you go on a prescribed route in your local area that is known to be safer - no unprotected lefts, roundabouts, weird lane changes.

IMO - fleet-wide release isn't close. Most of Tesla's pre-selected testers have been experiencing disengagements in many of their videos. These are people they have explicitly instructed on the safety and capability of the software. A full rollout means putting it into the hands of EVERY FSD owner. This will create a lot of unpredictable behavior and variables for the software that can create some dangerous situations. For instance there will undoubtedly be the one random person who decides that they have FSDBeta and can have their car drive them to and fro the bar and ruin it for everyone.

Reactions: Cyclegamer
Yes!!!

I am interested in this too... I am not sure the best thread for this.. and also to discuss your comment below as well. Should we create a new thread. for talking about the FSD wide release / beta expansion.

Just brainstorming

What would watered down FSD beta features look like? Only right turns?

Who knows? It is speculation at this point.

I am thinking that Tesla will release the new FSD visualizations to everybody. There would be no risk in that.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
IMO - fleet-wide release isn't close. Most of Tesla's pre-selected testers have been experiencing disengagements in many of their videos. These are people they have explicitly instructed on the safety and capability of the software. . This will create a lot of unpredictable behavior and variables for the software that can create some dangerous situations.

I agree with you... but please tell me what aspects of it do you see as unsafe and not unsafe. Because I would imagine this would determine what is in the watered down release and what isn't

"I would think any underlying changes to how the car handles inputs would be updated regardless of FSDBeta vs not"

You claim this... but I would argue that these changes are potentially the biggest source of dangerous behavior, much more so then any new features.

I agree with you... but please tell me what aspects of it do you see as unsafe and not unsafe. Because I would imagine this would determine what is in the watered down release and what isn't

"I would think any underlying changes to how the car handles inputs would be updated regardless of FSDBeta vs not"

You claim this... but I would argue that these changes are potentially the biggest source of dangerous behavior, much more so then any new features.

I should say inputs from the environment. I don't see them having different software stacks for AP vs EAP vs FSD - if anything Tesla's philosophy on manufacturing is to create efficiency and reduce redundancy.

Driver inputs are definitely a source of dangerous behavior, but the current software is far from perfect. Putting that product into a random person's hands is a risk - and it's that risk which will delay a full release.

My 2¢: The current visualizations are engineering and not what we will get. We will likely get a LOT more info (and wider screen) but it will be de-colored and polished (no boxes but cars and people) and look a lot more like what we have now, just more detailed.

My out of my a$$ guess would be in order:

1. Just replacement with the new code.
  2. Red light confirmation removed for straight.
  3. Stop sign confirmation removed for straight.
  4. Right hand turns.

Who knows? It is speculation at this point.

I am thinking that Tesla will release the new FSD visualizations to everybody. There would be no risk in that.

Yea - they may have the production visualization ready to go out, or may just have an option to make your visualization look like the developer screen the testers have now - as sort of an Easter egg.

The screen grab in the tweet can be read in different ways too - did the email talk about FSD and V11 as separate topics not linked? Like, "hey everyone, we're hiring internal testers in AZ. Also, V11 rolls on Christmas and has a yule-log screen saver"

I should say inputs from the environment. I don't see them having different software stacks for AP vs EAP vs FSD - if anything Tesla's philosophy on manufacturing is to create efficiency and reduce redundancy.

AP and EAP do not require HW3. FSD does.

AP and EAP already are feature complete. FSD is not.

I would expect the HW 2.x codebase is largely finished getting significant updates- not so much the HW3 codebase.

My guess would be:
Go at stop signs/lights with no lead car or confirmation.
Automatic lane change in city streets, and roundabouts
If they are going to do a neutered FSD release then I'd imagine we'll get all the functionality that FSD Beta has EXCEPT that it will require confirmation (either stalk or pedal) to act on intended movements.