Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer - NO - but Tesla says it's really OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why the “fool me once…. Fool me twice…” saying doesn’t apply to EM with his FSD promises. How many cars do you think have been purchased with FSD and crashed or sold with those owners never getting a chance to actually use any sort of FSD? (A couple of gimmicky features like summon are NOT “FSD”)

Assuming you had decent insurance it ought to have covered the cost of FSD if you bought a replacement Tesla.

Yes, I think most people are blissfully unaware of competitor pricing.

Someone feels $12k is too much (for that person) and declares the price to be “insane”.

I think given all the features and you can get it without having to buy a higher trim, $12k is a fair market price … for what you get today I.e. excluding FSD beta.
I would actually consider the $12k fee if Tesla offered FSD level 3.

Thankfully for me it's not about the money it is entirely about the capability for the money paid.

Having lived with 7 years of AP1 - FSD3 over 4 Model S' and a '17 Model X w/FSD(still own) and Elons constant..this year....3 months maybe 6 months definitely....this year..... etc etc etc, there is just a real knowledge that Elon has great vision and thinks things are just a program to be written but in reality are still a way off pipe dream.

Those that have paid we know you will defend to the end....I have paid and have stopped defending.

Reactions: Ramphex
Insurance is only obligated to pay market value for a comparable car. The market doesn’t value fsd on used teslas at anything close to the new price.

My insurance is required to pay replacement cost.

If I buy a Tesla without FSD and add FSD the replacement cost for FSD is $12,000 that insurance would be obligated to pay.

Obviously if I buy one that already has FSD and is otherwise comparable, they'd pay for the whole thing including FSD.

Either way I didn't "lose" anything by having bought FSD on the now-wrecked car compared to where I end up.

If you are in a position to lease and were considering the subscription it would be a wash 🤷‍♂️. Wish I could be a leaser.

As is my car is the family weekend beater and my 100+ mile a day commute makes my car a buy / sell "fairly often" one. Paid for FSD 2 times now on it and got nothing close to what I paid for FSD for my resale. Despite what people "think" vs "know' the resale value is not there for pre-paying for FSD.

After fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, I will certainly pay a subscription fee, whatever it is, once something viable is actually released.
So you must love FSD…some things just aren’t about financial return….enjoy FSD like you would ice-cream 😀

I would actually consider the $12k fee if Tesla offered FSD level 3.

Thankfully for me it's not about the money it is entirely about the capability for the money paid.

Having lived with 7 years of AP1 - FSD3 over 4 Model S' and a '17 Model X w/FSD(still own) and Elons constant..this year....3 months maybe 6 months definitely....this year..... etc etc etc, there is just a real knowledge that Elon has great vision and thinks things are just a program to be written but in reality are still a way off pipe dream.

Those that have paid we know you will defend to the end....I have paid and have stopped defending.
If FSD was anyhow functional, it might be worth the price, depending on the person and their financial status. Is $12k more worth for someone who’s buying a $45k M3 because they’re an average middle class person and that’s all they can afford but they want the best EV on the market?

The problem is exactly what you said though, most people will not stop defending their decision to buy regardless if the project ends up being a flop. They’re also the same people who will come here in 5 years when FSD isn’t done and pound at their chest saying how they’ve been buying FSD cars for the last 10 years to support the groundbreaking, breathtaking, revolutionary project, despite its shortcomings.

My insurance is required to pay replacement cost.

If I buy a Tesla without FSD and add FSD the replacement cost for FSD is $12,000 that insurance would be obligated to pay.

Obviously if I buy one that already has FSD and is otherwise comparable, they'd pay for the whole thing including FSD.

Either way I didn't "lose" anything by having bought FSD on the now-wrecked car compared to where I end up.
Replacement cost for a comparable vehicle is all they're obligated to pay. There are Teslas on the used market with FSD that do not carry anything near a $12k premium. They're not required to pay you enough to buy an aftermarket add on after the fact.

Replacement cost for a comparable vehicle is all they're obligated to pay. There are Teslas on the used market with FSD that do not carry anything near a $12k premium.

I'm not sure why you think that's relevant.

You lost a car with FSD. And it was replaced with a car with FSD. Without you paying anything to buy FSD again.

They're not required to pay you enough to buy an aftermarket add on after the fact.

They are if the only available, otherwise comparable, cars don't have FSD.

Same with other software upgrades like acceleration boost too if your policy is aware of them.

Which in a really tight used car market might be possible. But even when it's not, see the top part for why it's irrelevant to the whole "THINK ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LOST FSD DUE TO AN ACCIDENT" argument. They didn't lose anything if they have decent insurance and replace a Tesla with a Tesla.

I'm not sure why you think that's relevant.

You lost a car with FSD. And it was replaced with a car with FSD. Without you paying anything to buy FSD again.

They are if the only available, otherwise comparable, cars don't have FSD.

Same with other software upgrades like acceleration boost too if your policy is aware of them.

Which in a really tight used car market might be possible. But even when it's not, see the top part for why it's irrelevant to the whole "THINK ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LOST FSD DUE TO AN ACCIDENT" argument. They didn't lose anything if they have decent insurance and replace a Tesla with a Tesla.
I don't know if you've ever dealt with actually getting insurance to pay, but no matter how good your insurance is, that's just not how it works. They pay market value for a used car with similar miles and similar options. Just because there may not be models with FSD readily available on the market doesn't mean they're obligated to pay you the brand new cost for purchasing FSD after the fact. The market as a whole does not value FSD that highly. All they have to do is cut you a check for market value. What you choose to do with that check is upto you. You can just to buy a car without FSD and pocket the difference. You could choose to look for a car that has FSD and buy that. Or you could choose to buy FSD after the fact and pay a premium.

Reactions: Ramphex
I don't know if you've ever dealt with actually getting insurance to pay, but no matter how good your insurance is, that's just not how it works. They pay market value for a used car with similar miles and similar options. Just because there may not be models with FSD readily available on the market doesn't mean they're obligated to pay you the brand new cost for purchasing FSD after the fact. The market as a whole does not value FSD that highly.
Which is why I am getting Musk Insurance as soon as it’s available here

I don't know if you've ever dealt with actually getting insurance to pay, but no matter how good your insurance is, that's just not how it works.

It's how mine has worked (USAA). Perhaps you need to find a better insurance company?

They pay market value for a used car with similar miles and similar options. Just because there may not be models with FSD readily available on the market doesn't mean they're obligated to pay you the brand new cost for purchasing FSD after the fact. The market as a whole does not value FSD that highly.

You seem to be confusing replacement cost and actual cash value.

These are different coverages.

replacement cost WOULD pay $12,000 for FSD if that's the only way to obtain a replacement vehicle with FSD on it.

It pays whatever the cost to replace what you lost is. It's in the name and everything.

Point being, if you replace a tesla with FSD with another Tesla- you will end up with FSD at no "loss" to yourself for having bought it on the wrecked car.

I have one of the highest rated non-military insurances available (Amica).

Where you're getting confused is replacement cost does not imply NEW cost. All they're obligated to pay you is what it would cost to get you into a Tesla that has similar miles and options to yours. They're not obligated to pay you the cost of a brand new Tesla or the cost of purchasing FSD new from the factory.

Have you actually totaled a Tesla with FSD at the current $12k price and gotten them to pay you $12k on top of the current used market value of your car?

I have one of the highest rated non-military insurances available (Amica).

Where you're getting confused is replacement cost does not imply NEW cost. All they're obligated to pay you is what it would cost to get you into a Tesla that has similar miles and options to yours. They're not obligated to pay you the cost of a brand new Tesla or the cost of purchasing FSD new from the factory.

Again you appear to be citing a distinction without a difference.

They are obligated to replace what you had before.

If you can find a used tesla of comparable age, and miles AND it has FSD- they pay whatever that vehicle costs, including the FSD it comes with.

If you can't find ANY comparable used cars with FSD, they'd be obligated to pay to make the car comparable, which is $12,000.

Here are examples:

Guy who totaled his FSD tesla said:
I have Geico and my car was totaled. They included FSD because I bought it up front when I bought the car in 2019. They asked for my order confirmation sheet I received when picking up the car. I paid $6k for the FSD add on. In the Market Valuation Report Geico added $6,300 value to the comparable model 3's that didn't have FSD.

Another guy who totaled his FSD Tesla said:
I bought FSD post delivery and my 3 got totaled. I provided a receipt and they included it in the appraisal. This was Progressive

So 2 examples from 2 different insurance companies- where the FULL cost of replacing FSD was included in the value of the totaled vehicle... (in the first guys case they appear to have even added the TAX on FSD to the value of it)

Reactions: Yelobird
Tesla pays nothing extra for FSD when trading in.

Aftermarket 3rd party sales also offer a very small premium for FSD.

Basically it’s worthless unless you plan on keeping your car forever and you enjoy using it.

There are some delusional fanbois who feel differently but their feelings are not backed up by any real-world data. These are also the same people who think a fleet of robo-taxis is coming next year and their base-level, rear-wheel drive Model 3 will be worth $100,000.
My name is Phan and I'm a boy and now my bubble is burst 😦

The price of FSD is increasing every now and then.

Selling it to a dealer, the FSD goes away

Unless the dealer is Tesla, no it does not.

. If I get into an accident and get salvaged, FSD is gone(Insurance dont pay for FSD).

Sounds like you need better insurance, as it absolutely should pay for it.

When I buy software, like MSOFFICE or WINDOWS, I get to keep the software until it gets outdated and unuseable.

This is not always the case.

OEM licenses- for example if you buy a new machine with windows from HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.... are not transferable to other hardware.

They're tied to the single machine they came on.

RETAIL licenses can be transferred- but are also more expensive.

Even so, It should do what Microsoft does at least.

They are.

You are buying the equivalent of an OEM Microsoft license- it is tied to the specific device it was sold on.

For $5000 FSD was totally worth it but $12000? No f.... way.

Then don't buy it. That's why it's an option.

If you can't find ANY comparable used cars with FSD, they'd be obligated to pay to make the car comparable, which is $12,000.
I mean this simply isn't true. And it's never going to be the case anyway. Except for maybe the refresh X, there are examples on the market right now with FSD available. So it's a moot point to argue that if you can't find a used car with FSD, they're obligated to pay the $12k.

Just checked my own policy, and I suspect others have similar phrasing - they adjust the value for depreciation. Exception in my case is if the vehicle is under a year old, in which case they'll pay the full new MSRP (which in this market may be a disadvantage, but not usually the case).

I mean this simply isn't true.

It is though. That's what replacement cost is. They must pay the cost to replace what you had before.

Again it sounds like you have some lesser coverage and are unfamiliar with such policies.

Just checked my own policy, and I suspect others have similar phrasing - they adjust the value for depreciation.

Confirmed- you don't have a replacement cost policy and don't appear to understand them.

I just sourced to 2 people from 2 different insurance companies who DID get the full cost of FSD added to their insurance settlement as examples of the replacement cost coverage you don't appear to have.