Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Done arguing for today. Don't care what you believe personally.

To summarize, I think it would be a very good idea to take the 3K offer while it stands.
If you don't plan to have your car in 2 years, probably not worth the expense.
But if you do, I really think you should.

But hey that's just my opinion. I got FSD when I purchased the car so I'm already set.

Level 2 does not require hands on the wheel.

Yes. To clarify my statement above - though I think it was pretty clear - the nags (currently in the form of steering wheel torque sensing) will continue to exist for Tesla's L2 FSD implementation not because they are required by the definition, but because it provides an extra layer of safety and helps ensure appropriate use of the system, where the driver is forced to "constantly supervise" the system, as required for L2. That, and the NHTSA has encouraged more intrusive driver attentiveness systems, based on incidents to-date : "Develop applications to more effectively sense the driver’s level of engagement and alert the driver when engagement is lacking while automated vehicle control systems are in use. " (The NHTSA has also made it clear that it's the driver's responsibility to use the system in a way consistent with guidance and warnings from the manufacturer, irrespective of whether these additional engagement systems have been implemented.)

Yea I know, don't cry for spilled milk. But I'm still pissed I am getting 220 miles... when they advertised 310 miles, same range as the LR RWD. Any ideas on how to improve that? I am thinking a front spoiler and lowering the car.

Per Elon's latest tweet on Advanced Summon, "It finally almost doesn't suck".
Reference: Twitter

That said it's a lot better than it started out. Personally the biggest reason to get the HW 3.0 hardware is so that you'll continue to get AP or EAP updates after development diverges and focuses on the new hardware. Current 2.5 hardware is at about 90% of it capable capacity. So not much new can be added to it. HW 3.0 will begin it's life at about 20% utilization and also provide redundancy for safety that the current Nvidia board does not offer.

Not sure why your experience has been bad. I got out the door out the door with a 240 Mile range Tesla Base Plus with FSD for 46K then got $10,800.00 back between the state, feds and PG&E. ($7500, $2500 and $800) So that's $35,200.00 after rebates. Also got stickers to run in high occupancy and toll lanes for free which saves me a ton every month. The car has been flawless since day one. Have almost 10K miles on it so far. Best purchase decision hands down that I've ever made. But that's just my opinion.

My experience was superb with LR RWD, hence I upgraded it even costing me $80k (tax included), ok net maybe $7500 less taxes, $500 SCE credit... CA because is my 3rd EV I am not allowed, trying to add my wife and use her name on it for this year CA rebate. Now after terrible services on both cars, they were damaged during service, range of 220 miles on a advertised 310 miles car, it does leave a bitter taste.. forget comparing to ICE.

I just want to know if I have HW3. Car built in April. No exact date. If they want to use HW3 upgrade as incentive to pay 3k then offer an easy way to find out what HW version is in your car.

Not sure how to find out, I got my on December 18, 2018... is there any official document from Tesla that FSD will grant HW3 for whoever doesn't have it? I called 3 times and nobody could assured me they just said there is a free HW upgrade for FSD, they said on phone since nobody reply emails on Tesla, not even escalations.

Most likely 70% I will get this FSD before 16th just because of HW3 crap. Can't we just make it modular like a PC? :D

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yea I know, don't cry for spilled milk. But I'm still pissed I am getting 220 miles... when they advertised 310 miles, same range as the LR RWD.

Huh? 210 miles? Why are you only get 210 mile range? My P3D shows 310 fully charged and my wife's LR RWD shows 319 miles fully charged. I get pretty close to that real-world, though the LR RWD gets better range.

• Funny
For FSD adjusting for reality. By Q1, maybe Q2 we should see EOP like function in city environment. FSD late 2020.

But changes will come quick once the fleet and software dev are all HW 3.0. Those with HW 2.5 will end up feature locked probably by end of the year.

I cant wait!!! I know we are on Elon time, so delays happen. But it is so exciting :)

Reactions: ibGeek
I've heard the price increase for FSD will be 7k after the 16th
So a $3,000 bet that FSD will be realized, with the fact that summon isn’t yet released...? When it’s been promised for how long? Theory versus reality...
Plus who’s to say they won’t drop the price again, next time they (Tesla) needs a cash infusion?
When I see a couple riding in the back seat pass me on the road, I’ll think it may be close...Pass.

Why are you only getting 210 miles?

He said 220 miles. This is a perfectly reasonable result for a P3D+ traveling on I-15 from Los Angeles to Vegas at 80mph. If you look at his other posts in other threads that is likely the scenario. He may have some minor battery issues but overall this result is pretty reasonable. Off topic; best to discuss in the other thread.

Reactions: Dan_LA
There are clearly people here who should not buy into high-tech.

Some are temperamentally better off not putting any money
into the hands of explorers who can't precisely tell, or know,
their itinerary. You know, like Christopher Columbus.

Maybe there should be a background check, and those who
think the meaning of words is frozen by a printed dictionary, that
achievements in technology respond to management concepts
like "double the manpower to get it done twice as fast", who believe
that human give and take is best handled by lawyers, or who buy on
stretched margin and can't afford some ups and downs, these people
should not be buying into any high tech, as they will inevitably feel
abused, disappointed and will only poison the waters for others.

For some, 97% is scandalously, inexcusably, short of 100%, and
adds to their misery. For others it's inspiring, pretty damned useful,
and adds 97 points daily to their joy of living. To each his own.

Some are temperamentally better off not putting any money
into the hands of explorers who can't precisely tell, or know,
their itinerary. You know, like Christopher Columbus.

Maybe there should be a background check, and those who
think the meaning of words is frozen by a printed dictionary, that
achievements in technology respond to management concepts
like "double the manpower to get it done twice as fast", who believe
that human give and take is best handled by lawyers, or who buy on
stretched margin and can't afford some ups and downs, these people
should not be buying into any high tech, as they will inevitably feel
abused, disappointed and will only poison the waters for others.

For some, 97% is scandalously, inexcusably, short of 100%, and
adds to their misery. For others it's inspiring, pretty damned useful,
and adds 97 points daily to their joy of living. To each his own.
07-elon-musk-smoking-weed-2.w700.h700.jpg

97% FSD is a reasonable expectation IMHO. Though whether or not that will be legal on public roads is another question. The problem is many people are expecting 99.9999% FSD which is about what is required to not require a driver.

• Funny

I think it's totally fine for people to buy into this, eyes wide open, for whatever reason they want. To support the development, to have a cool toy, to be able to track progress, to get the latest 3.0 hardware which might improve safety, to get the FSD features, etc.

There just seems to be a lot of confusion about what is actually being promised here - and it is not really due to Tesla's website...it has to do with the social media pronouncements by various people ;) , talk of robotaxis, Tesla YouTube fans, the media representations of what is being delivered, people's misperception of what the cars can do, etc.

I think as long as people realize that FSD is being promised as an L2 system for the city which can recognize and respond to street signs and lights and do "automatic" driving on city streets (and highways of course), and understand that "automatic" driving means the features "require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous," then people can proceed with their purchase, eyes wide open.

Will it progress beyond that? Maybe, someday! Is Tesla required to provide that progress to FSD owners, if it turns out the current hardware (with HW 3.0) can't do L3/L4/L5? No. Tesla can (and will!) come out with products with more capable hardware (better radars, better cameras, etc.) that can do L3/L4/L5 in the future, call it something else, say FSD 2.0, and there is no obligation for them to provide compensation for people purchasing FSD under the current description, which will not be as capable.

In the event the current hardware (HW 3.0 + sensing suite) turns out to not be capable of "achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers," there's no reason Tesla will need to update it, and no requirement for them to do so, as long as they have delivered the L2 automatic driving capabilities in the city with that hardware. The statement of this possibility is right there in the description of the product.

That's my take on it, anyway.

None of the above means you shouldn't buy it of course! It's a personal decision, and there are a lot of reasons to spend $3k on it - just have to understand what you're buying, and what the future holds, as with any product. Technology will march on and cars will truly drive themselves at some point - but Tesla's FSD is not promising to deliver that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_LA
@ibGeek, care to refute my post instead of just hitting disagree? Seeing as FSD has delivered nothing more than what I indicated to any customers who have EAP, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.
What is EAP supposed to give anyway (I guess that depends on when you bought it).

I don't remember City NOA ever being promised for EAP. This is what I expect with FSD in the next year or so.