Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, exactly. Meanwhile even Elon appears to be confused and is frittering away the focus of SELLING CARS for some pie-in-the-sky dream of robotaxis which obviously is not a good use of limited resources. Focus on making FSD good; maybe people will like it and maybe it will improve safety. And make cars - good cheap ones.

But wasting resources on extremely difficult Robotaxis is obviously a dead end at the moment or at least is starting from scratch. So infuriating. Waste.
Wait, do people actually think their cars will become robotaxis? If anything, Tesla will build separate robotaxis (ala Waymo), but our cars will only have L2 driver assist. Maybe one day L3 with limited ODD (ala Mercedes).

Reactions: DrGriz
Wait, do people actually think their cars will become robotaxis? If anything, Tesla will build separate robotaxis (ala Waymo), but our cars will only have L2 driver assist. Maybe one day L3 with limited ODD (ala Mercedes).
I have no idea if people think that. I think Tesla and Elon have not shot down that misconception in any case. Seems like they should just come out and make it very clear in their marketing and sales and Twitter ASAP. L2 only, going to be really really good. Obviously Robotaxis are many years away. I assume on 8/8 they will set a target for 2030 or so.

Reactions: DrGriz and Dewg
I have no idea if people think that. I think Tesla and Elon have not shot down that misconception in any case. Seems like they should just come out and make it very clear in their marketing and sales and Twitter ASAP. L2 only, going to be really really good. Obviously Robotaxis are many years away. I assume on 8/8 they will set a target for 2030 or so.
That would be a realistic goal. You think Musk is going to set a realistic goal?

Many in the investment forum think all cars will be robotaxis, even the original models.

FSDS bitc$ slaps Waymo and then befuddles construction worker at GA Tech.

From gym decided to FSDS through Midtown and then turn into the GA Tech campus and do some pedestrian “fighting” before heading home. And had a GREAT drive too. Heading north on Peachtree St had a car beside me and a Waymo behind it while coming up on a double parked car. Will FSDS slow down or what? It intimidated the Waymo and treaded the needle between the two sliding over just enough to go around the parked car but not fully changing lanes.

IMG_4816.jpeg

IMG_4817.jpeg

IMG_4818.jpeg

On GA Tech campus there is a good bit of construction around the stadium. Coming to the end and a construction worker by the edge is waving his arm. At first I was like what is he saying and FSDS also slowed. He was actually holding sunglasses and just waving his hand to talk on the phone. As I got close realized and then gave me a wave forward. Held my hands up and at the same time car started turning left. You can see the surprise on his face as he see this.

IMG_4821.jpeg
IMG_4822.jpeg

I've been using the accelerator but sometimes I get the needless audible alert that I'm not slowing enough - even though I'm closing the distance with a steady decel and plenty of remaining distance.
Can also just disengage and let the supremely smooth Tesla drivetrain bring you to a stop; this works super well for most (not all) stops and is quite relaxing.

Does anyone else in this thread have two Teslas? If so, are you noticing this: I have two 2020 Teslas, an AWD 3 and a MYP. Both have been on identical versions of V12.x, now both on V12.3.4. The Y is much, much better at FSD. I have no idea why, but I very rarely have a safety related intervention with the Y, but with the 3 it's a much more common experience. I have re-calibrated the cameras on the 3, no help. I swear, it's like entirely different versions of FSDS on each.
My MS was perfect until yesterday, sans a few long stops at stop signs or a few accelerator pushes in the last software version. No question that different cars are getting different results. Is it intentional by Tesla for A B testing? Is it the vast majority of clips being fed into the computers are from mostly MY? Does my MS have slightly better processing power? Is the placement and height of the cameras making a difference? Who knows, but definitely a difference from what we all are experiencing based on the model car we drive. I love to complain about everything, however, loving 12.3.4 as it is. Haven't had a single time with curb concerns... while others have a bunch..

Your character assassination of FSD not withstanding, why do people think FSD is smarter than it is? It's a driving assist system. It's not contemplating the meaning of the universe and existence. It's driving. You, as a human, can ask the deep questions, and ponder why the cars are all stacked up. You can come to the conclusion that those cars are probably in line waiting for the upcoming turn, but it's really just a guess. I guarantee you that there are times in your past where you sat, patiently, in line for an upcoming exit/turn, and then later, when you start to see lots of people changing lanes, find out there was an accident up ahead, and you just wasted tons of time sitting there like an idiot. But were you an idiot? You made a decision based on the information you had at the time, and didn't know there was an accident up ahead.

My point is that in that situation - DISENGAGE FSD AND DRIVE MANUALLY!! You, as a human with a sophisticated brain that's taken hundreds of thousands of years to evolve, can outthink a computer that's been learning for just a few years.

*ugh*

Why? Maybe partially related to Elon's nonstop fake news. Maybe partially from social media shills. And partially from online apologists.

We can only evaluate FSD progress on its performance. There's no harm in identifying shortcomings. It even has a chance of making driving assist systems better. And no, I'm not gonna give FSD a pass/break. I'll leave that for you.

No question HW3/HW4 will fail from time to time and we all should disengage. The above video demonstrated that. She knew the area. Knew how long to let it play out. She even mentioned she wouldn't be 'that guy' pissing everyone off. SHE DISENGAGED and DROVE MANUALLY!!

Gotta love the use of 'character assassination' as if FSD was human while the same time arguing it's not human. :)

I think my car could become a robotaxi only because Elon says so. Experience shows that his predictions are puffs of smoke, but this is what I get from all this: the goal of robotaxi, plus constraints from the law, will put the emphasis on safety. If you don't like the creep up to the stop sign, well, get used to it, I don't think that will change because they were required to add this. And with an emphasis on safety, I don't expect the software to appeal to people who are impatient drivers.

They need to iron out the odd speeding and slowing down, and figure out "road closed" signs. And maybe add a 3-point turn. But what I've seen from videos of local drivers, it's getting much closer to being very useful. I'm in California, and I gather we have an advantage with more data.

AIDRIVER has a cool demo of driving through the Berkeley hills that shows it off pretty well.

you don't like the creep up to the stop sign, well, get used to it, I don't think that will change because they were required to add this.
Where on earth is this coming from? There is absolutely no such requirement. I keep on seeing variations on this statement and it is very bizarre. No idea the origin of this Tesla lore.

Tesla is solely responsible for the behavior of their FSDS feature. No one is forcing it to do things poorly.

And with an emphasis on safety, I don't expect the software to appeal to people who are impatient drivers.
I’m a super patient driver.

Going slowly at the wrong time makes the system less safe.

All of my complaints with the system at the moment (stopping, going, etc.) are safety issues.

I want FSDS to be a patient driver. Currently it is not, as demonstrated over and over again in numerous videos.

Last edited:
Not a chance. Elon has always been delusional on this topic. Two years max, one year away likely is what he will state, if he sets a timeline. Perhaps with a lower goal of L3.
I'd guess the 8/8 thing is a a new model reveal like the original CT reveal song & dance - no steering wheel, etc. How long after the CT reveal until they became real? Could be easily a couple of years. FSD could come a long way in a couple years - maybe even a non-issue for whatever this 8/8 thing is.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Little under 200miles today on 12.3.4.

Mostly rural roads, small towns. Biggest issue is this auto speed control. I think it works waaay better in a more urban environment. It just doesn’t work on 55-35mph rural roads.

This trip was mostly on 55mph roads (posted), but along those roads, there are small town where the speed drops to 35 or 30 from a 55mph zone. A few times it entered 30mph zones at 57mph. You loose your license in NY for that kind of thing.

It NEEDS to react to speed limit changes correctly. It’s either too fast or too slow. It is better than 12.3.3, but still issues.

The other big issue is the hesitancy/slowness in turns like I’ve stated a couple pages back.

Another issue, I think the pedestrian crossing lights (orange/red LED) “hand” is sometimes being interrupted as a red light (the UI even shows it), causing issue of when the vehicle can proceed.

Otherwise, drives pretty well.