Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had such high hopes for vision based autopark, but reality has crushed them.

It takes too long to select a spot on the x, it's more tolerable on the y, and i hate having to come to a complete stop like a dementia patient to start the process. When it starts. It's slow and still grinds the wheels. While it performs well in empty parking lots, in my real life tests in crowded parking lots (where I'd most want this system) it has failed 4 out of 5 times. And when it fails, it's so frustrating. It doesn't tell you why. It just aborts and you're stuck guessing.

I'm sad to say that autoparking is still a gimmick feature which I can't recommend to people. When none tesla owners hear me say fsd has gotten usable but autopark doesn't work, they don't believe me about fsd. Tesla really needs to make autopark a priority, they should be class leading in this area. It's embarrassing that they aren't.
Honest question, does anyone have any picks for autopark systems that are better than Tesla's in any regard? In person I've only used one and watched several videos of other systems, and am curious if there are systems with any advantages over the Tesla. The pros of the Tesla system:

-The presentation of parking spots via the UI/visualization is where the Tesla system has no apparent rival.

-Identifies and allows you to select any parking space within a fairly wide area in front of, behind, and on either side of you, and is very reliable about detecting any potential spot.

-Doesn't require you to almost drive past a spot before it can be recognized, and even then often fail to detect spots.

-Can detect spots that don't have another car already parked on both ends (not possible with USS-only systems).

-Doesn't require you to indicate what type of spot to search for (parallel vs perpendicular) or even to enter the autopark mode at all (Tesla autopark starts scanning for spots automatically).

-Handles all steering and pedal inputs (some other system require you to operate the brakes).

-Good execution. This is debatable, and I am very curious if any other systems perform better in this regard. From my experience it has rarely aborted a park attempt. Occasionally the centering is slightly off, but most of the times is satisfactory to perfect. The execution speed could be improved (does any other car do it faster?). And occasionally it turns a 1-motion job into multiple steps; ironically this seems to occur more so when both ends of the spot are not occupied by other cars.

-Out of the box thinking for non-standard parking requests. I'd be surprised if any other system would offer this parking spot, let alone complete the request.

My only concern is its accuracy in gauging distance. There was at least one occasion where if I had not pressed the brakes I am almost certain it would have hit a concrete sign post at base of the parking spot. There was maybe an inch of clearance left while the visualization indicated ample space. Has anyone had any collisions or near misses while using the current autopark (I've seen accidents with earlier versions)?

I'm also not sure how well it responds to changes in the environment during parking (e.g. moving vehicles and pedestrians). Most of my experience is in static conditions but the few times that there was movement around me it seemed to be largely unaware of other traffic.

There are also simple ways that Tesla could speed up the autopark without even modifying execution:

-Automatically select the recommend parking spot. Currently it will recommend a parking spot and highlight it in the UI, but you must still explicitly select this spot if you want to use it, which requires you to focus on the UI and drive more slowly than you otherwise would. You must also bring the car to a complete stop before you can press "Start". Instead, you should be able to confirm that you want to engage autopark while you are bringing the vehicle to a stop. Once the car is stopped, it would automatically start autopark, using the recommended spot in the absence of an explicit choice.

-Transition between Drive and Reverse more quickly. It seems to waste a lot of time in the transition between Drive and Reverse, even when it has already brought the car to a stop. I imagine this delay would be easy to remove without much modification to the execution of autopark.

Last edited:
I think we should have a class action started to demand fresh wiper blades every 6 months until the autowipers are made to work well. My wipers dry-hump my windshield so often that the wiper blades are already toast. ;)
It wouldn't even be so bad if it simply sucked, but the car insists on using it every time you engage autopilot/FSD, forcing you to turn it off again. I almost always forget that they are active until it does another dry wipe. This happens multiple times a trip. Effectively the routine needs to be: engage autopilot, pull up wipers menu, disable auto. Every single time.

And then there's the fact that it's running a complex AI algorithm that steals computer resources which could be used for the UI or self-driving functions.

Speaking of voice commands. Is there a voice command to turn navigation volume off? You can turn it up or down, but I haven't found a way to turn it off without going into the settings. This would come in handy when using FSD for routine trips where you only need the navigation for FSD, not the actual directions.

Speaking of voice commands. Is there a voice command to turn navigation volume off? You can turn it up or down, but I haven't found a way to turn it off without going into the settings. This would come in handy when using FSD for routine trips where you only need the navigation for FSD, not the actual directions.
Yes, "mute voice" or "mute navigation voice".

IMO, I find Tesla's self-parking bad, still.

I like the UI (outside of the S/X) to select a spot, which is unique, but it performs worse than my old Ford in both parallel parking and back-in. It's really slow and often wants to make a second attempt because the first it misjudges, unless you pre-angle the car perfectly.

Most tests online show BMW, Audi, and Ford better than Tesla, but they are older tests. They all seem faster and to make less mistakes, except ford that will ramp the curb on occasion.

I like the UI (outside of the S/X) to select a spot, which is unique, but it performs worse than my old Ford in both parallel parking and back-in. It's really slow and often wants to make a second attempt because the first it misjudges, unless you pre-angle the car perfectly.

Most tests online show BMW, Audi, and Ford better than Tesla, but they are older tests. They all seem faster and to make less mistakes, except ford that will ramp the curb on occasion.
Thank you. I suspected there are cars that handle the actual parking aspect of self-parking better.

Even though I don't own one myself, I think it's unfortunate that the higher end S and X are actually lacking in some ways compared to the lower end 3 and Y. The dashboard screen is nice, but you should have the option to view the visualization on the touchscreen where it can be larger and allow for user interaction, i.e. move the camera angle and select a parking spot.

And then there's the fact that it's running a complex AI algorithm that steals computer resources which could be used for the UI or self-driving functions.
The good news is we will have more storage, compute, and less latency when they scrap the V11 code still on our cars for highway use. When it's all NN's just the dropping of all that code should be a nice step up. We basically have V11 and V12 concurrently installed on all our cars...

I prefer hitting the wipers button on the stalk then selecting off or the desired speed from the UI; takes roughly the same amount of time and I don't have to speak to my car. Sometimes I use the wipers shortcut button but that requires searching for it on the taskbbar. The bigger challenge is actually remembering to do this.
I set my wipers to off, they never turn on unless I manually do it.
I don't know why some cars don't have that feature.
One and done for me.

I tried it once in an empty parking lot with Tesla Vision turned on.
Still managed to curb the right front wheel 🛞.
Good news, the new curb rash was done over the preexisting rash!

Went back to uss for good.

It’s not complicated granted your detail and story has now changed. Now it’s “stop and Go” traffic and going 10 mph. Different story evolving.
Wut?
Not sure how people use v11 in traffic on the freeway. If someone in front of you jams on the brakes, so does v11.

If you’re free flowing on the freeway, there’s no traffic. When there is traffic it is inherently stop and go. That is the way things are.
Different story evolving.
The only thing evolving is your understanding of the situation I laid out (which of course there is ambiguity in,but everything I described was 100% consistent with stop and go traffic - I just did not explicitly state that).

No change in story. I cannot use tons of words to describe exactly what the situation was. I said stop and go to clarify that is what I was talking about originally (which was describing stop and go not using that description).

Please don’t say my story is changing when there is nothing in my posts saying that I was talking about high-speed traffic and if anything it seemed likely to be low-speed.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: sleepydoc
I set my wipers to off, they never turn on unless I manually do it.
I don't know why some cars don't have that feature.
One and done for me.
I'll check again but I thought if I disengage FSD and then re-engage, the autowipers are turned back on. Maybe that was only for Autopilot though. I'm pretty FSD turns autowipers on for first engagement of the trip though.

Reactions: FSDtester#1