Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On FSD yesterday, the car actually got out of the left (passing) lane on its own. Twice. I was like, "Whoa!"

This was on a 50 MPH section that had crossroads.

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 10.12.40 AM.jpg

Later, on the limited access 65 MPH section it stayed in the left lane for miles even when someone came up behind me (and tailgated).

What do think the difference was?

This might be one of those FSD non-accidents. It's a shame as the driver had time to disengage 12.3.6 prior.

Here's what I guess happened there. The car was driving below the speed limit on a straightaway, so the driver pressed the accelerator briefly. The car then sped up and failed to slow down for the curve. That's something I've observed.

What you are proposing, that FSD reads signs and lanes some places and not in others, makes no sense to me. How could that even be?
These are neural networks and especially with 12.x end-to-end, you need to think about things as probabilities more than is something supported or not. Even with 11.x visualizations rendering painted lane turn arrows, these can be missing or predicted as the wrong type, e.g., straight/turn vs turn. Internally to 12.x, there could be a similar turn lane prediction based on painted arrows on the ground or other signage, and there's the additional control prediction of whether to follow those.

I have an intersection just after a bridge/overpass that 12.3.6 wants to get into the right-most lane for an upcoming turn that is actually at a later intersection. Potentially this incorrect behavior is based on incomplete map data, but I've noticed it stop trying to switch lanes after seeing a "right lane must turn right" sign about halfway over the bridge. It could be coincidence with enough visibility of the upcoming intersection for it to realize it shouldn't get into the right-most lane anymore, but the painted turn arrows only show up much later as well as shorter dashed lines followed by solid white lines. Whatever it's detecting seems to be enough to eventually be in the correct lane in this case.

I have the latest map data NA-2024.8-14924, but it didn't fix any of the incorrect lane information in my neighborhood. Here's hoping that 12.4 adds the ability for fsd to read (improve?) the lane markings in real time.
Interesting! TeslaInfo shows 2023.44 as the latest map data. But it's the internet, could be fake or at best outdated.

1000031827.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Interesting! TeslaInfo shows 2023.44 as the latest map data. But it's the internet, could be fake or at best outdated.

View attachment 1051642

TeslaFi doesn't show any North American vehicles updated to the 2024 maps yet either. But they do show updates for Europe and Australia.
1717004396337.png

I think the NA-2024.8 version has just started to trickle out, it may be a while before it goes wide.

Yes, I saw those. But DavidWang bio says SanFransisco Bay Area.
Yep. But the majority of the Tesla fleet doesn't report to TeslaFi, or other online services, so it may be a while before they see the new maps.

And until they go wider we won't know if the updated maps require newer firmware. (Like the new maps might only go to vehicles on 2024.14 or newer.)

Yep. But the majority of the Tesla fleet doesn't report to TeslaFi, or other online services, so it may be a while before they see the new maps.

And until they go wider we won't know if the updated maps require newer firmware. (Like the new maps might only go to vehicles on 2024.14 or newer.)
Yup. These services and how the cars are connected is pretty cool ... but not the complete picture. TMC can add a little more info.

On FSD yesterday, the car actually got out of the left (passing) lane on its own. Twice. I was like, "Whoa!"
I'm jealous! Just completed a 3800 mile trip, never moved to the right on it's own once and even approaching cars didn't force the move. Mine used to move to the right for tailgating cars at least, no more.... :mad:

The FSD button was automatically disabled when I got 5 strikes. Both Autopilot and FSD buttons are disabled now for the week.

It is not fair, that not only Tesla took one week off of FSD usage ($25 worth) from my monthly subscription, they even disabled Autopilot usage too. :mad:
That sucks, them taking away AutoPilot as well as FSD.

I'm not sure it is "unfair" exactly. To get FSD, we all agree explicitly to pay attention at all times, and we get strikes for not paying attention. The strike process is described in the release notes which you implicitly agreed to. So, when you do not comply, it technically is fair for Tesla to revoke the privilege, even though you paid for it.

There have been reports of folks abusing the standard AutoPilot with steering wheel weights, back seat "driving" etc. I wonder if Tesla is considering adding the strike count and penalty to AutoPilot as they have in FSD. The current penalty of disabling AP for the rest of the drive is easily overcome by stopping and putting the car in park momentarily. A week off might be a more effective incentive.

Had a new behavior for me this morning - was in the right lane for an upcoming freeway entrance. Traffic was backed up a little, and there was a strip mall with a few cars waiting to turn right. FSDS slowed down, and left a big gap for a waiting car, and once he went, FSDS pulled up and filled in the gap. Was a very polite thing to do.

This was on a 50 MPH section that had crossroads.

View attachment 1051636

Later, on the limited access 65 MPH section it stayed in the left lane for miles even when someone came up behind me (and tailgated).

What do think the difference was?
Any chance you had the average setting on when on the highway? I've found assertive stays in the passing lane but average will usually move over if there is a car behind me. The setting will change when you right click on the scroll wheel if you're in chill or average. It will move one position to the right. Same holds true if you click the scroll wheel to the left. Your situation sounds different though.

Code sync up guys

Just got 2024.14/12.3.6
Are we next going to 2024.20/12.4?
It appears that the "tester" group are not being updated to 2024.14.x . You own update history would tell if you are in the tester group or not. The testers and the main branch have had different sequences of updates. The latest tester update appears to have been 2024.3.25 and they appear to being held there.

If the pattern continues, several releases of 12.4.x will go to testers before the main branch receives a version of 12.4.

Time will tell. But Tesla won't tell before time. ;-)

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Any chance you had the average setting on when on the highway? I've found assertive stays in the passing lane but average will usually move over if there is a car behind me. The setting will change when you right click on the scroll wheel if you're in chill or average. It will move one position to the right. Same holds true if you click the scroll wheel to the left. Your situation sounds different though.
Good guess, but I haven't made any changes in that setting recently.