Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you backseat drive your Uber drivers. Or just let them get you to your destination?
I have a Model Y, so don't use uber, but I do loose sleep after a cab ride in NY city. However I did learn some interesting driving style tips from those cabbies: In NY, you can not wait for a clear spot to lane change, so the rule is that whoever's front bumper is ahead has the right-of-way. You get a bit ahead, then just start to change lanes, and let the other guy back off or crash into you, which they don't want to do. This works because it is too crowded to ever get a clear spot to change into. In California this in considered rude or dangerous. In NY it is just how driving is done.

Do you backseat drive your Uber drivers. Or just let them get you to your destination?
The not-exactly-off-topic issue was artificial intelligence, neural network technology, aka FSD end to end AI, to quote the thread title.

Driving style is central. Uber drivers, unlike FSD cars, do learn from their own experiences. Uber drivers who don't respect customer comfort soon become former uber drivers. FSD subscribers who do not like how it drives soon become former subscribers. As many already have done.

The not-exactly-off-topic issue was artificial intelligence, neural network technology, aka FSD end to end AI, to quote the thread title.

Driving style is central. Uber drivers, unlike FSD cars, do learn from their own experiences. Uber drivers who don't respect customer comfort soon become former uber drivers. FSD subscribers who do not like how it drives soon become former subscribers. As many already have done.
Fair point. And my post, after second read, came across rather snarky so I edited it.

FSDB and now SFSD is a newish product and constantly changing. When I first started using it, it was quite raw and scary. In two years it has come a long way, and I respect everyone who has decided it’s not their cup of tea or worth the $. But it has progressed far enough that now we can start questioning nuances of it fitting our individual driving styles. I think that’s overboard. We have 3 settings for aggressiveness. Those can be refined to actually make a difference. For example, turning on Chill mode and the least aggressive setting the car will still accelerate at a rate that is too fast for my wife as a passenger at times.

I also think conflating people’s past behavior with subscribing and / or unsubscribing from FSD doesn’t validate your argument that it needs to learn each families specific driving style to reach mass adoption. It just needs to work better. Just like an Uber driver.

Still a little confused. This was in the map window only? What was in the left pane? Also not sure what you mean by manual mode. AFAIK the visualization doesn't change based on whether or not AP/FSD is engaged.

EDIT: Or are you saying you had AP engaged but somehow got the FSD visualization instead?
I had neither AP or FSD engagement. The map on the right had changed, showing much more detail/resolution than normal.

In my Intel car at least, the visualization in the left panel is quite different when FSD is engaged vs. standard visualization. I thought that was a normal thing.

Anyway, it was the map change that amazed me.

Bull Gates:
640K ought to be enough for anybody.

just that FSD doesn’t need to learn every persons individual driving style. Chill mode, and the three options for following distance (forget the other two because I always use assertive) should suffice.

You are right, perhaps technically not a requirement for a Robo Taxi. But maybe for a profitable RT as peeps won't use transport they are uncomfortable with. Or perhaps the better question would be "Why not personalize?". Should be cheap and easy for any competent AI down the road to learn and apply automatically, learning like calibrating cameras if not ongoing.

Reactions: JB47394
That's more an issue of social graces than anything else. Perhaps the better question is: do you request the same Uber driver when they don't drive in a way that you prefer? Configuring a robotaxi for how it drives may be one of the best unique selling points in the business. As with Uber drivers (or GPS voices), services may offer a variety of driving types by name. Rocket Ralph. Mellow Morris. Scenic Sally. Then there are the silly possibilities with LLMs, where each driving style interacts with the passengers (when requested) in a way that is consistent with the driving style.

2024.3.25 burn down is almost all complete! Remaining folk are the FSD Testers who will get the next FSD update?

1718630176650.png

That's more an issue of social graces than anything else. Perhaps the better question is: do you request the same Uber driver when they don't drive in a way that you prefer? Configuring a robotaxi for how it drives may be one of the best unique selling points in the business. As with Uber drivers (or GPS voices), services may offer a variety of driving types by name. Rocket Ralph. Mellow Morris. Scenic Sally. Then there are the silly possibilities with LLMs, where each driving style interacts with the passengers (when requested) in a way that is consistent with the driving style.
Doesn't seem all that silly for the passenger to be able to articulate "slow down" or "drive faster" and have it obeyed.

Reactions: JB47394
2024.3.25 burn down is almost all complete! Remaining folk are the FSD Testers who will get the next FSD update?

View attachment 1057170
There are still ~675 pending updates to 2024.14.9, so it is likely most of the ~600 left on 2024.3.25 have pending updates that just haven't been installed yet.

My guess is that most of the FSD V12.4.2 testers will come from the 2014.14.9 version.

Please check me on this. This video appears to confirm what I said about the immense calculation needed to train current AI models, such as FSD. The video then speculates on future, as yet unproven ideas about "liquid" and "spiking" models, which, it suggests might be able to learn after they are trained. Promising, yes, but FSD does not incorporate either of these hypothetical technologies. And the video does not give any clue as to how the liquid model incorporates any experience after training into the parameters of the "core" of the "liquid" model called the "reservoir". I'm not calling BS, but this video sounds a lot like pseudo-science AI. That is to say there may be some reality behind this, but this video does not illuminate.

Did I miss something?

I do hope that some sort of learning in the Tesla cars is eventually implemented, beyond "Home" and "Work" and other favorite destinations and manual settings. Things like how much acceleration after a stop is comfortable for this driver, where the pot holes in my neighborhood are so I don't have to disengage every time I get near home, and which turns should be taken slower so as not to veer over the lane divider line.

So far, Telsa's approach is one style, one set of learning fits all cars. This has never been the reality, where each driver has a different style as well as a different family, pets and friends as critics of their driving style. Safe is necessary, but comfortable for each family is the metric critical for market acceptance, which metric is different for each family. Learning in each car may be necessary, in which case, we certainly still have quite a way to go.
Per vehicle learning introduces too many variables and unpredictability. I suspect it will never happen. Rather, pre-trained parameters will be used just like it is used today (assertive, chill, minimal lane changes, etc).

Reactions: Yelobird
Are you ready to sell your car?

Well it's too late to sell now that the cat is out of the bag. It's amazing that Tesla really has a hold more than any product I can remember. New hinges (HW5), golden hinges (AI5) just around the corner always causing such a buz ... impressive.

My 2022 yoked USS HW3 MSLR will be for sale in 2027. I figure it will still have some value with 3 years left on the battery waranty. I wonder what the buz will be at that time.

Last edited:
Well it's too late to sell now that the cat is out of the bag. It's amazing that Tesla really has a hold more than any product I can remember. New hinges (HW5), golden hinges (AI5) just around the corner always causing such a buz ... impressive.
HW5 power won't be fully utilized until 2028-2029. First HW5 cars won't be available until end of 2026 (they said end of 2025 but I think there will be a delay). Then HW5 will run HW4 emulation mode for at least a year. Then they will release HW5 real mode and it will take a year to fix the bugs. I won't buy until 2029.

Last edited:
To be fair, it would be hard to be worse than the last outing. Still, not at the first 9. That is another thing that matters. It does not appear they were holding back until they had the first two 9s, as some have surmised.

Yes, it it’s important to stop at the line. If you stop before the line you may get a ticket if you do not also stop at the line. The law says to stop at the line. Five feet before it doesn’t count, of course. That was the specific case referenced above - the defendant stopped before the line. This was deemed to not be legal (by the appeals court as I recall). Plenty of discussion up thread.
I will Stop/slow down at the line but only when the line is at or very close to the intersection. When the Stop line is not near the intersection I always Stop/roll to the imaginary line in the road where I can make that decision. Police where I live don't care if creep slowly past the Stop line when it's 5-20 feet from the intersection and then do a very slow roll. I mean that is how the Police drive too so why be different. :)

Please check me on this. This video appears to confirm what I said about the immense calculation needed to train current AI models, such as FSD. The video then speculates on future, as yet unproven ideas about "liquid" and "spiking" models, which, it suggests might be able to learn after they are trained. Promising, yes, but FSD does not incorporate either of these hypothetical technologies. And the video does not give any clue as to how the liquid model incorporates any experience after training into the parameters of the "core" of the "liquid" model called the "reservoir". I'm not calling BS, but this video sounds a lot like pseudo-science AI. That is to say there may be some reality behind this, but this video does not illuminate.

Did I miss something?

I do hope that some sort of learning in the Tesla cars is eventually implemented, beyond "Home" and "Work" and other favorite destinations and manual settings. Things like how much acceleration after a stop is comfortable for this driver, where the pot holes in my neighborhood are so I don't have to disengage every time I get near home, and which turns should be taken slower so as not to veer over the lane divider line.

So far, Telsa's approach is one style, one set of learning fits all cars. This has never been the reality, where each driver has a different style as well as a different family, pets and friends as critics of their driving style. Safe is necessary, but comfortable for each family is the metric critical for market acceptance, which metric is different for each family. Learning in each car may be necessary, in which case, we certainly still have quite a way to go.
It's alarming how much energy is needed to train these models. It's an eye opening video, for me anyway. These models don't learn - it's just another hard coded system in a way. It kind of makes me wonder what we've gotten ourselves into, as a society. But I digress.

Driving styles? Remember Elon wants the robotaxi. Driving styles don't figure into that idea.

Reactions: Sharps97
I will Stop/slow down at the line but only when the line is at or very close to the intersection. When the Stop line is not near the intersection I always Stop/roll to the imaginary line in the road where I can make that decision.
While of course this can also be ticketed, it’s less problematic in terms of communicating with other road users and in terms of the other issues outlined by the court of appeals.

It’s not complying with the letter of the law, but it satisfies the core purpose of the law in many respects. Whereas stopping 5-10 feet before the line of course does not - which is why it is so problematic, as discussed at great length in the earlier linked post.

Not to mention it serves zero purpose and there’s no good reason for a partially autonomous system to be doing this. Legally of course FSD will always need to stop at the marked line, which is going to lead to some non-optimal stop behavior at some intersections (stopping can be highly optimal but the position may be largely useless). But it is what it is, and FSD should start doing so, and then quickly proceed.

Last edited:
Reactions: kabin
Are you ready to sell your car?

No. With Tesla's knack for over promising and under delivering, I won't hold my breath. Remember Elon said HW3 was 'a game changer' and over built with redundancy. There's been too much trial, error, and obsolescence. In the end HW5's increased capabilties will help but only time will tell if TSLA can ever make a refined consumer grade FSD product.