Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the reply! I see, so since I have 12.3.6, I need to have 12.4 in order for that system to be enacted? I have only had a Tesla for less than a month, so I'm still learning about the software and updates. I had a VW ID4 before this, and in the 3 years I owned it, we got only one OTA update about a month before I returned it, and the update was only to prepare the software for future OTA updates! 😂
The change in the strikes applies to FSD 12.3.6 starting with 2024.20.1. It's in the release notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Just went out to the car to see 1. why it was showing "offline" in Teslafi since I should have been within wifi range on the driveway and 2, if the car had downloaded the maps overnight.

It didn't show it was connected to the wifi at the top of the NAV screen until I touched the LTE sign (surprise, I can't get any mobile service here but the car thought it had 1 bar) and that screen showed a green checkmark next to the wifi SSID.

When I went to the software screen it showed the old maps so I checked for updates and now, in theory, the maps are downloading.

This is a good thing because the car is not where it should be parked but I've had it sitting here for over 24 hours, hoping it would update the maps.

When I went to the software screen it showed the old maps so I checked for updates and now, in theory, the maps are downloading.
There should be no theory. On the software screen it either shows they are downloading with a progress bar, that also shows the download speed, or it isn't downloading the maps.

Not an AI issue specifically, but this is making the rounds through our local tesla facebook group because we are in the middle of a heat wave. I didn't see anyone mention it here or in the Software threads so I thought it should be shared.

Dog mode apparently isn't working in 2024.20.1, telsla knows and is working on a solution. Owners who used dog mode in my area in the past few days report it seemed to be working but no-one had left the car longer than a few minutes, whereas the reddit poster left the car for 10 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Thanks for the reply! I see, so since I have 12.3.6, I need to have 12.4 in order for that system to be enacted? I have only had a Tesla for less than a month, so I'm still learning about the software and updates. I had a VW ID4 before this, and in the 3 years I owned it, we got only one OTA update about a month before I returned it, and the update was only to prepare the software for future OTA updates! 😂
You won't have a new strike with 12.3.6 if you do the following:
1. Keep one hand on the wheel and pressure down a little bit. If you have both hands on the wheel then you need to pressure down more on one side and keep the other side light.
If you see a blueish color on the screen then push one hand down for more pressure and look away from the screen.

2. Don't look at the screen more than 3-4 seconds. If you see a red blinking wheel on the screen then turn your head up and away from the screen RIGHT AWAY. Don't look at it. Scroll the music thumbwheel or speed thumbwheel up/down a little bit to indicate you are not sleeping.

3. Move your head up/left/right often (not down) as if you are scanning the road.

Last edited:
First time in thread, as I just upgraded my 3 to HW3 and have been using FSD for a few days now.

Are there any ideas on how the neural nets are weighting/training the models for distance to move over to the correct lane for exiting? I would like it to move over at least one mile left before the exit and nothing less. Yesterday I was getting closer to my exit, I was in the middle lane, and there was space to move over to the right lane to get ready to exit. But it kept on its normal pace in the middle lane, passing everyone, and then tried to get over really quickly to make the exit at the last minute. WTF is going on? Are they throwing in vids from 16 year olds? Who drives like that?

First time in thread, as I just upgraded my 3 to HW3 and have been using FSD for a few days now.

Are there any ideas on how the neural nets are weighting/training the models for distance to move over to the correct lane for exiting? I would like it to move over at least one mile left before the exit and nothing less. Yesterday I was getting closer to my exit, I was in the middle lane, and there was space to move over to the right lane to get ready to exit. But it kept on its normal pace in the middle lane, passing everyone, and then tried to get over really quickly to make the exit at the last minute. WTF is going on? Are they throwing in vids from 16 year olds? Who drives like that?
You need to manually change lanes to your comfort. FSD sometimes change lanes late for exit.

At the moment, highways are handled by the old V11 code instead of the end-to-end V12 code. Elon has said that v12.5 will be the first version that's single-stack end-to-end. V12 makes pretty good decisions about when to exit based on the traffic, but V11 seems to be hard coded to wait until exactly 0.5 miles from the exit. Travelling at 60 MPH, 0.5 miles means it's only got 30 seconds, and if the traffic in the lane is heavy it can struggle.

Not an AI issue specifically, but this is making the rounds through our local tesla facebook group because we are in the middle of a heat wave. I didn't see anyone mention it here or in the Software threads so I thought it should be shared.

Dog mode apparently isn't working in 2024.20.1, telsla knows and is working on a solution. Owners who used dog mode in my area in the past few days report it seemed to be working but no-one had left the car longer than a few minutes, whereas the reddit poster left the car for 10 minutes.

My vision park assist didn’t work today for some reason, I was going under 5 mph in a parking lot and it wouldn’t come up, it just continued to show the regular autopilot/fsd screen

Ughhhh

Speed vs Navigation. It did it again.

Highway with 5 lanes on one side.

The right two lanes are full of traffic and slow because 1 mile ahead they are the exit off the highway.
The left most lane is empty.
FSDs 12.3.6 goes giddy under "Average" mode and changes to the left most lane so that it can go 77mph (10%+ on 70mph speed limit)
In doing so, it realized too late that it now has to switch over 3 lanes to get to the exit lane, which of course nobody is going to let you at those speeds.
FSDs goes bonkers, slows down to 65 while it reroutes. Vehicle driver behind me goes bonkers not knowing why my vehicle slowed down.
It then took the next exit and ended up adding 15 more minutes to my drive.

FSDs needs to stop acting like a kid.
On the other hand I have been trying that particular exit with both Average & Chill mode. When using Chill mode, it never misses. When using the average mode, it is 50% chance it will get it right, depending on the traffic on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Today I got to get on a tollroad that has no shoulder, doing 75mph next to the wall. Felt like I was in NASCAR or even better F1 in Monaco!🇲🇨
FSDs did an amazing job hugging that wall for that drive.

IMG_0430.jpeg

Last edited:
So yet another architectural rewrite? Will Tesla start from scratch or try to just merge the different NNs into one big one?

I am not surprised that Elon wants to do end-to-end AI. It is very consistent with his vision and AI centric approach. I am sure he sees it as the ideal end goal for autonomous driving.

Wayve is already doing end-to-end AI for their self-driving. But all they have are some nice demos, nothing they can actually deploy to the public yet. Experts like Waymo's Anguelov say that the industry is moving in the direction of end-to-end AI but that doing reliable autonomous driving everywhere with pure end-to-end AI is probably still far off. End-to-end AI is difficult to troubleshoot, difficult to train and likely requires new AI. End-to end AI will likely happen at some point but I think we can expect it will take awhile. I think we should expect delays, lots of Elon missed deadlines before V12 actually makes it to general release. It is also likely that V12 will not be pure end-to-end AI if Tesla cannot solve it in time. So we will see progress towards end-to-end AI but not the "finished" stack yet.
This man has the entire globe with internet access, and the number 1 selling car in the world. He is used to getting the impossible done.