Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since "Deep Eye" tracking has gotten so good [sarcasm] Tesla should let you just LOOK at the Parking spot you want to park in and the Auto-Park starts right away. This would save a few steps and make it faster than a human. 🤣
I'd take this over the current scroll wheel implementation. It's so frustratingly non user friendly.

Since "Deep Eye" tracking has gotten so good [sarcasm] Tesla should let you just LOOK at the Parking spot you want to park in and the Auto-Park starts right away. This would save a few steps and make it faster than a human. 🤣
That would be good but I want Parking Assist to use AI to realize I avoid parking next to other cars if possible. When you're averse to scratches on your car there is a list of rules on where to park to minimize scratches from happening :). Probably explains why my car is wrapped. Of course if you're my son-in-law you just park far away from anybody to keep your Tesla ding free.

Reactions: Stan930
Why does the NHTSA choose to die on the stop sign hill yet allow FSD to automatically exceed the posted speed limit?
Rolling stops are a potential safety issue. Speeding isn't as much. I also think there is presidence with CC. If NHTSA slammed a company for allowing the car to speed, then all cars would have to get slammed.

Why does the NHTSA choose to die on the stop sign hill yet allow FSD to automatically exceed the posted speed limit?

We'll probably never know exactly how this discussions went done between Tesla and NHTSA.

My theory is that stop sign detection is extremely accurate (or at least once the car thinks it sees a stop sign it's highly probable there actually is a stop sign), on the other hand speed limit detection is garbage. It's seriously just bad. My car routinely misses 65 mph signs on rural roads. You've also got cases where you're entering a road at an intersection and map data is all the car has to go on until it sees a speed limit sign. And you've got the rather ridiculous practice of states that put up "END speed limit" signs that the car doesn't know what to do with. Oh and the car often reads minimum speed signs as speed limits. And sometimes the car has stale map data and just decides the speed limit is 45 mph on a 65 mph highway. That's so annoying.

Long story short, there's a whole pile of cases where the car demonstrably will not know the correct speed limit, so FSD would either simply be unusable in those places or it has to be allowed to ignore speed limits.

Perhaps NHTSA was swayed by this sort of thinking.

Another factor is that failure to keep up with traffic around, especially if the car abruptly slows down, does pose a safety risk in a way that painful slow stop sign handling does not.

Rolling stops are a potential safety issue. Speeding isn't as much. I also think there is presidence with CC. If NHTSA slammed a company for allowing the car to speed, then all cars would have to get slammed.
One of the biggest problems in my area is people jumping across intersections without looking or going through stops too fast (20 km/h plus) even with traffic and people around, but full stops when you have stops every 200ft or less is painful. I usually just slow to 5-12 km/h myself, not all the way down to zero, if visibility is good. Speeding on the other hand is likely to have you smashing into one of those same jumpers, so fsd automax is too fast and even where it’s safer, IME cops are mostly pulling over speeders or stop sign jumpers around schools.

At least the nhsta stops can be overridden with the accelerator, though it feels like fsd fights a bit with you so it’s not always smooth.

Except @FSDtester#1 frequently gets distracted by some … ‘shoppers’ walking in the parking lot so the car would be veering all over the place if it followed his gaze!

You have always been able to turn FSD on without a Destination. I speculate part of the problem now is V12 wants to go into ALL the lanes and without a destination it is more likely to wobble and change lanes. Seems V12 makes up its "mind" on all the lanes and not just one lane. V12 wants to have its cake and eat it too.
Like I’ve said before, if you don’t set a destination you’ve tacitly told your car you don’t care where it goes so it can’t be wrong!

I counted to "eight chim-pan-zee" today.
I timed with a stopwatch today - it seems to be about 5 seconds, although I had some as short as 4 and one as long as 15. Nag frequency seems to be affected by surrounding traffic so I wonder if it influences the ‘look at the road’ nag as well. (I have no data to support this, it’s just an observation.)

Regardless, it was never as short as 2 seconds. Here’s my theory about what’s happening to @dhrivnak :
  • they are looking down at the screen for longer than they realize (5 seconds goes by pretty quickly and humans are horrible at estimating time when they’re distracted.)
  • They get a ‘pay attention’ nag, look up for a second to deactivate it then look down at the screen again
  • (Hypothesis) Repeated episodes may trigger a nag in a shorter time period
  • (Hypothesis) With repeated episodes of not paying attention FSD will lose patience and give a strike with no ‘warning’ other than the previous 5 ‘pay attention’ nags that you’ve gotten in the last 2 minutes.

That would be good but I want Parking Assist to use AI to realize I avoid parking next to other cars if possible.
Correct. I use the same logic to maximize occupancy separation in choosing a parking spot, as I do when selecting an alcove or stall in the men's room.

It's relatively straightforward algorithm, and should not require billions of training examples. I myself picked it up early on, years before I qualified for my driving learner's permit!

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I timed with a stopwatch today - it seems to be about 5 seconds, although I had some as short as 4 and one as long as 15. Nag frequency seems to be affected by surrounding traffic so I wonder if it influences the ‘look at the road’ nag as well. (I have no data to support this, it’s just an observation.)

Regardless, it was never as short as 2 seconds. Here’s my theory about what’s happening to @dhrivnak :
  • they are looking down at the screen for longer than they realize (5 seconds goes by pretty quickly and humans are horrible at estimating time when they’re distracted.)
  • They get a ‘pay attention’ nag, look up for a second to deactivate it then look down at the screen again
  • (Hypothesis) Repeated episodes may trigger a nag in a shorter time period
  • (Hypothesis) With repeated episodes of not paying attention FSD will lose patience and give a strike with no ‘warning’ other than the previous 5 ‘pay attention’ nags that you’ve gotten in the last 2 minutes.
This does fit with my general experience, especially the part about repeated complaints on a drive increasing the sensitivity of the nags/pay attention warnings. And all of this depends upon the length and complexity of the drive. Very easy to avoid a strike on a 10 mile drive around suburbia. Less so driving 120 miles on a straight, flat interstate with minimal traffic. I don't think I ever had a strike on a drive <60 miles

(Hypothesis) Any one who ever gets a pay attention warning will get a strike given a sufficiently long drive

But to me, the irony is that the autonomous vehicle with surround cameras, no attention lapses and no danger of becoming habituated to a usually-empty residential intersection, is actually quite safe in executing mild rolling stops.

For humahs, the main danger of rolling stops is that one gets so accustomed to them and stops paying attention. That's what sets up the conditions for an accident.

Therefore, the idea of forcing FSD to adhere 100% to full stops, while humans demonstrably flout them regularly, is really not supportable.

Speeding is a somewhat different issue. We could rightfully criticize FSD for speeding faster than needed, and especially if faster than surrounding traffic. But slower than surrounding traffic can also be problematic, even if it follows the legal limit exactly.

^ IMO this is totally correct. And exactly why we need updated laws with more reasonable requirements for autonomous vehicles. I'd suggest something like requiring always slowing to 5 mph at all stop signs, and slowing to 1 mph if any pedestrians or bikes are present in the areas.

That kind of policy would be difficult for humans to follow and difficult to enforce, but relatively easy for tech companies to be compliant with and easy to test.

Interesting thing with fsd 12.3.6. It automatically set max speed on freeway. I verified with 3 different trips on the same freeway.
On the entire strecth of freeway 56 eastbound from freeway 5 to 15 in San Diego, FSD automatically set max speed to 75 mph. The speed limit on this freeway is 55 mph and 65 mph.

Interesting thing with fsd 12.3.6. It automatically set max speed on freeway. I verified with 3 different trips on the same freeway.
On the entire strecth of freeway 56 eastbound from freeway 5 to 15 in San Diego, FSD automatically set max speed to 75 mph. The speed limit on this freeway is 55 mph and 65 mph.
I have reported earlier, during my drives from LA to SF and back last month. I have noticed that FSDS 12.3.6 Freeway code seems to remember my earlier Max Speed settings for I-5, which was 74 mph and 152 which was 68 mph a few months earlier. I noticed that because of the specific speeds of 74 mph and 68 mph.

Also, during those drives (350 miles each way) I hardly got any nags, not until I specifically looked away and have my hands off the steering wheel. It seems to me FSDS remembered my record of no strikes on my FSD driving history.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Except @FSDtester#1 frequently gets distracted by some … ‘shoppers’ walking in the parking lot so the car would be veering all over the place if it followed his gaze!

I think this plan could work.

IMG_0644.jpeg

I tried auto park today in a pretty tight parallel parking space, with the additional challenge that it was a narrow street so the maximum angle it could take was limited by the cars parked on the other side of the street. I thought it did amazingly well. Took 3 back-and-forths to get in, but ended up well placed and didn't hit anything. Props to the auto-park team