Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the parking map should not be in 3D display because:

1. It covers a big area the parking space we want to select. It's hard to select a spot in front of the ego.

2. It doesn't correctly show the shapes of the surrounding cars. A lot of times it shows the car behind my car as a grey football when I am moving out of the parking stall. I'd rather see it as a car.

3. 3D objects in my garage looks weird.
I assume 3D display refers to the Park Assist visualization.

It doesn't do well with fully rendering and animating moving objects unfortunately, possibly a compute limitation. It also has a habit of showing pedestrians that don't exist; not sure why it struggles with that in Park Assist view but not the standard visualization. It does very well at giving a level of detail necessary for parking though. Hopefully the shortcoming will improve when they start optimizing for HW4. Might be helpful if you could switch between the 2 visualizations manually instead of automatically based on context, though I find it does a pretty good job of determining the right mode most of the time.

First time this has happened to me almost jumped out of seat

Had FSD turned on with no destination,

was stopped at a red light with 3 cars in front of me

I’m sitting there relaxing waiting for light, after like 15 seconds car decides very quickly to jump into the left lane that’s a turn only lane without even using its turn signal

I took over and jerked it back into the straight lane that it needed to go through the light

Edit: should have saved dashcam but didn’t think about at the time
Isn't this like what happens to me when I press the right scroll button once to activate FSD, but I have no destination, so it gives me the two blue lines (rather than one in the center) and I'm on TACC or whatever at that point? Wouldn't that still be the old C++ codebase driving, or is it actually the NN-based FSD? I have no idea.

Some odd behavior for me. Earlier this week when I got in my car, the display wouldn't turn on, though I could still drive. It struggled to start up but eventually did. During the trip I got an alert along the lines of "Vehicle Configuration Update Pending". I'm certain of the word "configuration" as apposed to "software". As far as I can tell there was no change to my software. I had recently gotten the 2024.14.9 firmware and 2024.8-14924-690ef3c3f6 map updates already.

Also on the short drive back immediately after that, the displayed fuel efficiency was crazy. It kept dropping, at one point showing negative Wh/mi before eventually coming back up to 19 Wh/mi just before parking. It was a short 4 minute trip.

IMG_0104.jpg

Isn't this like what happens to me when I press the right scroll button once to activate FSD, but I have no destination, so it gives me the two blue lines (rather than one in the center) and I'm on TACC or whatever at that point? Wouldn't that still be the old C++ codebase driving, or is it actually the NN-based FSD? I have no idea.
I hadn’t just turned it on, I had it on for a few miles before I got to the light on a straight road

What scared me is it didn’t give any warning with a turn signal it just went to left lane very fast with no warning

When you have no destination FSD is supposed to keep going straight until you reach a dead end with a right turn, but it went into a left lane that’s a left turn only

• Informative
Reactions: cyborgLIS
Not sure what is the "current version"? Auto-Park is not actually FSDS code or at least a part of FSDS. It seems all versions of 24.14.x to 24.20.x have the same Auto-Park now. In fact I stated and posted video proof of getting the faster Auto-Park a few days before the 24.14.9 update. So it seems to be more of an invisible Delta update sent.

Also as to the faster. Yesterday I used Auto-Park and pulled up so it had to make a couple of adjustments. It switched from R to D to R so fast it kinda whipped my head a little forward and back. 😂 It also seems that it is getting faster at switching gears by the week. 🤔 🤣
I tried again on Home Depot parking lot. It worked NICE. I honestly think this thing can now park as well as I do. Still need more verification, but the current behaviour is good enough for me to use it even when other cars are waiting around me.

I hadn’t just turned it on, I had it on for a few miles before I got to the light on a straight road

What scared me is it didn’t give any warning with a turn signal it just went to left lane very fast with no warning

When you have no destination FSD is supposed to keep going straight until you reach a dead end with a right turn, but it went into a left lane that’s a left turn only
That's alarming. Never experienced that but as a policy I never use FSD without navigation. I learned early on that it's too easy to forget that you're navigation-less and wrongly expect it to make a turn for you. Have had to perform a couple of hard brakes as a result.

Some odd behavior for me. Earlier this week when I got in my car, the display wouldn't turn on, though I could still drive. It struggled to start up but eventually did. During the trip I got an alert along the lines of "Vehicle Configuration Update Pending". I'm certain of the word "configuration" as apposed to "software". As far as I can tell there was no change to my software. I had recently gotten the 2024.14.9 firmware and 2024.8-14924-690ef3c3f6 map updates already.

Also on the short drive back immediately after that, the displayed fuel efficiency was crazy. It kept dropping, at one point showing negative Wh/mi before eventually coming back up to 19 Wh/mi just before parking. It was a short 4 minute trip.
You experienced a MCU crash. It can happen from time to time and even when driving.

I tried again on Home Depot parking lot. It worked NICE. I honestly think this thing can now park as well as I do. Still need more verification, but the current behaviour is good enough for me to use it even when other cars are waiting around me.
I could be mistaken but I think it also allows you to click the button to start Autopark sooner before bringing the car to a complete stop. That along with faster D/R transitions were 2 of my suggestions to improve Autopark without improving the primary Autopark code itself. Would also speed up the process if it allowed you to click start without interacting with the screen to select a spot. It should assume the recommended spot is selected in the absence of an explicit choice. It's easy enough to bring your car into a position where the recommended spot is the one you want, and you wouldn't have to fiddle with the screen.

No. Historically when I don't have a destination entered FSD does not default to going straight. Some have said FSD will default to home or work but I'm not sure that is true. Seems somewhat random but it's so rare now not to have a destination entered I'm not sure of a pattern. But to assume FSD will go straight is a bit risky IMO.

No. Historically when I don't have a destination entered FSD does not default to going straight. Some have said FSD will default to home or work but I'm not sure that is true. Seems somewhat random but it's so rare now not to have a destination entered I'm not sure of a pattern. But to assume FSD will go straight is a bit risky IMO.
Agreed, a few months back I turned on FSD on leaving my driveway and was 20 minutes into my drive to work when I realized I never inputted a navigation destination. It just decided that was where I was likely going, and followed the exact route I normally take. My navigation frequently suggests where to go based on the day of the week and time I am leaving Wayne Manor. It is almost always correct.
I am pretty lame though and usually go to the same places at the same times.

Last edited:
Agreed, a few months back I turned on FSD on leaving my driveway and was 20 minutes into my drive to work when I realized I never inputted a navigation destination. It just decided that was where I was likely going, and followed the exact route I normally take. My navigation frequently suggests where to go based on the day of the week and time I am leaving Wayne Manor. It is almost always correct.
I am pretty lame though and usually go to the same places at the same times.
So now you have corrupted your Tesla to instinctively head for the strip club with out even needed to input the destination. 🤔 🤪🤪

Last edited:
You experienced a MCU crash. It can happen from time to time and even when driving.
It might be better to call this a reboot. "Crash" has a special meaning in this case. ;-)

Many years ago I called King Avionics to report a software bug in an early aircraft GPS navigator which caused it to freeze up and required cycling the power off and back on. Being a tech nerd, I said I wanted to report that the GPS crashed. The guy at King went silent for a long pause, and then asked timidly if anyone was hurt. I quickly re-phrased.

That's alarming. Never experienced that but as a policy I never use FSD without navigation. I learned early on that it's too easy to forget that you're navigation-less and wrongly expect it to make a turn for you. Have had to perform a couple of hard brakes as a result.
I did not think FSD could even be on except when navigating, hence my confusion over gotta's post. And I can't go play with it to test because even after mobile service replaced a camera and some sensors yesterday, I still can't complete an FSD recalibration (200 miles+ now). Sigh.

I did not think FSD could even be on except when navigating, hence my confusion over gotta's post. And I can't go play with it to test because even after mobile service replaced a camera and some sensors yesterday, I still can't complete an FSD recalibration (200 miles+ now). Sigh.
You have always been able to turn FSD on without a Destination. I speculate part of the problem now is V12 wants to go into ALL the lanes and without a destination it is more likely to wobble and change lanes. Seems V12 makes up its "mind" on all the lanes and not just one lane. V12 wants to have its cake and eat it too.