Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it installed on the S refresh. Chill mode, Auto Max speed, Auto wiper, light rain, almost dark. Local drive in my tract of curvy unmarked roads to and from my neighbors house a few blocks away. 6 turns, 6 stop signs, 1 T intersection with slight obstructed views L and R.

The speeds were very comfortable, stayed on the right of the unmarked roads. Stops were in line with stop signs. Take off from stops were prompt, but accelerations were a bit slow. Left and Right turns were a little slow but feels save. The only jerk of the steering wheel was at the left turn of the T intersection. In general, one of the most comfortable ride I have.

The wiper did not come on automatically, apparently FSD had no problem of seeing through the rain. I manually activated it for me to see comfortably.

I think I will try tomorrow disabling the Auto Max speed.

My first drive:

I got 12.2.1 this afternoon and just took it on a good mix of narrow streets, streets with heavily-worn lane markings, weird intersections, busy commute-hour main streets, and residential and commercial streets in San Francisco.

I started just before dusk and ended with the sky relatively dark and got light rain for a bit halfway through the trip.

Grading on a curve (of course), relative to previous FSD releases, I would give it a B+. It got a few things right that V11 usually struggled with but it got a turn lane wrong (see below). Overall, it was, dare I say it, “butter smooth” with excellent braking and steering although slightly too aggressive launch acceleration for my taste. I had it in “average” driving mode and may try “chill” next time. I had the new “auto max speed” mode turned on.

I had one goof-up where a narrow road lined with cars on each side opened up into 2 marked lanes right at an intersection. The car sauntered into the oncoming lane in preparation for a left turn apparently thinking it was on a one-way road. Otherwise, intervened 2-3 times due to slightly over-aggressive launching at 4-way stops when cars at other corners also launched at the same time. Since this was my first drive, I didn’t want to trust that it would brake quickly enough.

I’m looking forward to more extensive testing tomorrow.

Last edited:
It still enters turn lanes when they open up...damn.

Edit: I haven’t tested this, yet, but I've seen 2 people say that's not resolved from v11. It was my number 1 issue.
Too bad. This also reduces the chances that it fixes the lane selection silliness with upcoming turns. But we will see!

It should highlight to Tesla that there are problems with the navigation interface, and/or with recognition different states' turn laneanemarkings. If the latter, more non-CA training video should help.

Does it still have the audio note disengagement reporting?

Reactions: beachmiles
It's crazy that v10 never did it and now Tesla can't fix it.
Well, V10 certainly did it for me. It got better toward the end of it's reign, but I fought it. V11 was worse though. I know a couple 75 mph US highways that have left lane turnouts about every half mile. 11.4.9 will try to slip into every other one. At 81 mph (8% over), no camera or wheel nag required to ensure alertness!

I am looking forward to seeing how V12 handles this. Like you, it's my worst issue.

Whole Mars Catalog drive on V12.2.1 in wet conditions with regular intervals of rain. This drive is brought to you by the words Hesitant and Slow.

03:34 Proper handling of consecutive lights while dealing with another driver going straight in a right turn lane.
05:28 Hard brake for light.
07:01 Same light, accelerator intervention required when light turns green.
08:22 Handles speed bump (10 mph)
09:33 Handles speed bump (13 mph)
10:18 Slow departure from stop sign
11:06 Right turn through traffic circle, sharp brake to yield to car
11:33 Straight through traffic circle, yield to car
12:07 Yielding to cyclist at narrowing in road
12:13 Straight through traffic circle, asserting right of way over entering traffic
13:33 Hesitant crossing of intersection after stop
14:01 Hesitant departure after stop
14:23 Straight through traffic circle, no traffic, slow
15:09 Very hesitant departure after stop
15:49 Rubbish left at four-way stop with traffic
17:47 End of drive, hesitation and accurately double-parking the only car nearby.

Last edited:
Whole Mars Catalog drive on V12.2.1 in wet conditions with regular intervals of rain. This drive is brought to you by the words Hesitant and Slow.

03:34 Proper handling of consecutive lights while dealing with another driver going straight in a right turn lane.
05:28 Hard brake for light.
07:01 Same light, accelerator intervention required when light turns green.
08:22 Handles speed bump (10 mph)
09:33 Handles speed bump (13 mph)
10:18 Slow departure from stop sign
11:06 Right turn through traffic circle, sharp brake to yield to car
11:33 Straight through traffic circle, yield to car
12:07 Yielding to cyclist at narrowing in road
12:13 Straight through traffic circle, asserting right of way to entering traffic
13:33 Hesitant crossing of intersection after stop
14:01 Hesitant departure after stop
14:23 Straight through traffic circle, no traffic, slow
15:09 Very hesitant departure after stop
15:49 Rubbish left at four-way stop with traffic
17:47 End of drive, hesitation and accurately double-parking the only car nearby.
1708402162076.png

Exactly what I was thinking. 😂