Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's okay because cars in the outer lane must turn right immediately, they aren't allowed to use it for straight through routing or left turn routing. At least that's my understanding, with the disclaimer that I've never actually driven a multi-lane roundabout myself.

Edit: I guess the Europeans on this forum are snickering at the naivete of USA drivers discussing kindergarten basics of roundabouts!
I want FSD navigation has an additional option: Avoid Runabout:)

I think that's okay because cars in the outer lane must turn right immediately, they aren't allowed to use it for straight through routing or left turn routing. At least that's my understanding, with the disclaimer that I've never actually driven a multi-lane roundabout myself.

Edit: I guess the Europeans on this forum are snickering at the naivete of USA drivers discussing kindergarten basics of roundabouts!

This is the land of NASCAR. We invented turning left. :)

2022 Model 3 Long Range. Auto Speed off. Assertive.

This was a twenty mile drive at night, in the rain, and that ran the full gamut of typical suburban roads, from two lane paved winding roads to suburban highways. Very little traffic.

I had a continuous "may be degraded" message for the whole drive, but V12 pulled it off. The only glitches were crossing lane lines a couple times (never into oncoming lanes), missing a speed hump that it always spots in daytime, and getting into a turn lane that it shouldn't (which it does during daytime as well). I set the speed to +5 mph, but it tended to go at or below the speed limit, and those speeds were warranted, given the conditions.

It was a very relaxing trip.

Deceleration profile in general (not just stop signs).
I think people have alluded to it, but on stops and perhaps even when just modulating speed slightly at lower speeds, it has a tiny oscillation. You’ll be coming to a stop or changing speed and the car just judders along with a little stutter step.

You can see it on the regen bar; it jitters a bit.

I assume this is on all car models. No idea how this comes out of a learning model.

Does 12.3 stop the car from slamming on brakes if someone turns in front of you or pulls out in front of you?

if I’m going 60 and someone turns in front of me at somewhat close distance but not too close slowing down to 55 to 50 would have been plenty to not hit the car but on the old self driving the car slams brakes and slows down to 30 to 25 mph instead and cars almost hit me from behind

Does 12.3 stop the car from slamming on brakes if someone turns in front of you or pulls out in front of you?

if I’m going 60 and someone turns in front of me at somewhat close distance but not too close slowing down to 55 to 50 would have been plenty to not hit the car but on the old self driving the car slams brakes and slows down to 30 to 25 mph instead and cars almost hit me from behind
One of the most noticeable improvements in v12 is exactly this. The car has a much better apparent understandieng of the timing of various adversarial actors, including cars crossing your path, pedestrians beginning or ending their journey across the street, and cars turning out of your lane ahead of you. In all these cases, v11 would typically be oversensitive and not able to time the defensive slowdown, causing a lot of unnecessary braking and/or very noticeable delay in returning your car to normal traffic speed.

v12 will usually slow down only when necessary, and often not at all if there's no real safety threat - the same way that you would act in normal manual driving. It's pretty good, but the only downside is that as you're trying to get develop confidence in the new system, you can't really be sure that the car even saw the adversarial car or pedestrian.

Almost certainly it did, and if you had enough time to look down at the screen you'd see that it was at least registered on the visualization. But otherwise, if there's no reaction at all to telegraph the car's understanding of what is happening, you can't really tell that the car's inaction is a controlled judgment vs. just a blind ignorance of the threat.

It's an interesting point about learning to trust FSD as it gets more and more calm and natural in its reactions.

An update on multilane traffic roundabouts. 12.3 does marvelously in even heavy traffic when exiting the roundabout's 1st exit (right turn equivalent) and 2nd exit (straight equivalent) because it stays in the outer lane. However, when exiting the 3rd exit (left turn equivalent) it becomes a blubbering mess. Before entering the roundabout, it first signals a left turn, then it swerves into the inner lane where it stays until it tries to exit. Then it puts on its right turn signal and cuts off all the traffic in the outer lanes. Admittedly, multilane roundabouts are a dumb design and further, most US drivers don't understand them. With regard to roundabouts, FSD seems to rely on Catch 22. If everyone else drives poorly in a roundabout, I'd be a fool to do otherwise.
Yes, the car is behaving exactly as it should on a right-turn.

I’ve never noticed those dotted lines before but you’re right. Once you know it makes sense - It’s not actually 2 circular lanes, rather the inner lane is a circle and the outer lanes are more like 4 arcs that enter and leave (with some short connecting bits.) The inner lane actually splits at each exit and the outer lane exits unless you cross over the inner lane. If you don’t know that, the natural impression is to think of it as 2 circles which means the inner circle crosses the outer one to exit.
You are correct, but you are still over-complicating it. Read on:
Not quite... you can go straight from any lane. You go left from the left lane, you go right from the right lane. Just behave as you would at any multi-lane crossroad.
😁 you just get used to it. It’s similar to a normal square intersection: you stay in the same lane and when exiting, exit onto the lane you entered on. You don’t go left unless you were in the left lane when you entered. When you do turn left, you turn onto the leftmost lane.
Yep, think of it as a multi-lane 4-way stop. Get in the same lane as you would for a 4-way stop. Yield to any vehicle already in the intersection. Simple as that, but better - because you don't necessarily have to stop, and you have good visibility of traffic already in the roundabout as you approach.

That's the reason they are so popular elsewhere in the world - they facilitate traffic flow in a way that the US 4-way stop does not, and are arguably safer.

You folks just didn't grow up with them so they appear strange. They aren't.

This, and they seem more “jumpy” or jittery?
The visualizations UI code was written for the rule based v11. It is likely that v12 is not as fully compatible and the code needs a rewrite to show as it did. However it is likely NOT much of a priority since it is only eye candy and all hands are working on v12.

The drive was not bad overall. The car even slowed nicely for the speed bumps in the neighborhood. I did not use the auto speed on my to the store. Stopped for the pedestrians ( kids) even tho they stopped in the middle and was looking at the car. Whatever... There was an entrance to the shopping plaza that was tight and I disengaged as there was also a curb.

On the way back, decided to use auto speed. The ride was fine until it took a right curved lane when it went too fast and went to the right lane and before I could react hit the curb and I disengaged and the car started screaming "take control immediately." Never got a curb rash in my ownership of this car until today :mad:. Both front and rear rims on the passenger side got the rash

View attachment 1030846View attachment 1030847
Seems so far that only the Model S seems to be curbing the wheels? Are there any 3/Ys that have curbed the wheels? If only the S (and maybe the X) then since it is such a minority of the cars this would be evidence that the training is mostly off 3/Ys . And the training is very much specific to the car's it is off of.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
It's possible 12.3.1 isn't ready so they're keeping on with the 12.3 rollout
I'm in the same waiting camp as you
Possible???? It is factual. First 12.3.1 must go to many employees for testing, then a small rollout to initial testers and then start rolling to "average Joes". We are still likely a couple of weeks (or more) before we see many people here with it.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Something is going on at Tesla
2024 code with FSD 11 has been sitting for a few weeks
2023 code with FSD 12 the same
Might we have the merge soon?
Enabling v12.3/4 for all
Based on past history of FSD beta, it won't really merge but 12.3.x or something like that will be inserted into the main software branches. 12.4 (or 12.5 or whatever) that's newer and needs more validation, will go to the present tester group.

At some point hopefully soon, the latter will be wrapped in a 2024 software release but still liking behind the main fleet releases.

In the last couple of years we've only seen something close to a true merge for the holiday release in December, then the separation comes back.

Seems so far that only the Model S seems to be curbing the wheels? Are there any 3/Ys that have curbed the wheels? If only the S (and maybe the X) then since it is such a minority of the cars this would be evidence that the training is mostly off 3/Ys . And the training is very much specific to the car's it is off of.
The only curbing I’ve seen (Miss Jillybud) was on a Model 3.

Yellow line’s gotta be pretty bullheaded to crash there. If someone’s already in the circle, yellow needs to yield to both lanes. IME more likely is the red line tries to go left, into the black line. After getting honked at a few times, you learn not to do that. 😝

I would also say that turn from the inner to outer lane by black for the 3rd exit is no bueno.

Edit: blue, not black…
It’s not that yellow is being ‘bullheaded,’ rather if you don’t realize that the outer lane needs to yield to the inner lane then you are just driving straight through not expecting the center lane car to cut into you. Like I said, it’s a bit counter to how lanes work pretty much everywhere else one drives, and also made worse by the fact that cars don’t (and aren’t required to) signal when exiting a roundabout so it would be impossible for yellow to know whether blue is going straight or turning left.

Agree on the lane shift by blue at the end of the left turn. I think it might technically be OK if you yield to any car in the outer lane but it’s better to just wait until you’re out of the roundabout.

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time in countries that almost exclusively use multilane roundabouts and a left turn should look like this:
View attachment 1030869
If that’s what the car was doing, it’s not really cutting off but correct. I’m curious what the car was doing?
That’s the correct path but I wonder if FSD got confused by how the dotted lines were painted? If they were painted like the pic I posted it should be ok but if they were painted wrong and the car had to cross them it might have caused an issue. Or FSD could need more training on this.