Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sometimes ignores it....hard to predict right now. It generally ignores a lot of user input to include speed selection.
Yes. It ignores lane changing request even when there is long open space on the next lane to change to. Then it cuts in people's lane at the intersection.
Another bad thing: It changes lane to the other side of the street when it's behind stopping cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline
The window in front of the camera doesn't necessarily fog up at the same time the rest of the window does (and I believe it has its own heating element). I can't say for sure but I'd guess that wasn't the cause of the disengagement
You may be right but within 2 minutes of manually initiating defrosting I could see better and another minute later FSD became available again. FSD did display a message that the cameras had poor visibility. So the question is why? And in general as I stated previously my newer Model Y fogs up much more than my first Model Y. So if the cameras had visibility problems couldn't Tesla react sooner and initiate defrosting? My wife was just about to take a picture of the message which I've never seen before when the message went away.

I’ve commented on this issue for many builds, but it’s now worse than ever on 12.xx.. the OFFSET from center, used to be ~ 18” from center, and 12” from RIGHT line, now it’s more like 24” from center left and 6” from right line. Only gotten worse and makes for quite risky driving when that right side is a bike or pedestrian - let alone parking shoulder. Here is a pic of the issue, this is a 1 mile stretch from my downtown, and the car doesn’t get any/much closer to the center - it just locks in like this.

I’ve tried resetting and re-calibrating cameras. I’m not sure why if ANYTHING service could/would do to correct what clearly seems to be an issue - and I’ve seen reports that others have something similar - but not all. Frankly, this should NOT be an issue, this seems like it really should be something that calibration, vision, whatever should be able to calibrate and orchestrate to vehicle to vehicle SAME vehicle experience and predictability should be SAME SAME., but clearly, it’s not.
Did anyone here re-calibrate their cameras on 12.3?

Might hold off until ASS and Banish, but saw a report that the vision assist was better on 12.3.
I did, it didn’t help at all.

Sure WISH I could upload a picture of what I’m seeing.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak and Hiline
Here's another instance revealing how long it takes for FSD to initially respond to a bad situation. I count ~1.5 secs. I guess nothing but nets gives no significant improvement here. I slow the video to 0.25x and divide elapsed time by 4. I've yet to see FSD respond quicker than ~1.5secs.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Those of you who have tried out V12, how does your car handle a lane change request?
On a 3-lane, 50 mph highway, with the left and center lanes reaching that speed, with room for those in the right lane to Get Over, 12.3 left me stuck in a 25-30 mph chain of traffic getting onto an off-ramp. Multiple attempts with the turn signal lever to get the car to shift lanes were rejected. The car acknowledged the attempts, in the sense that it lit up the adjacent lane blue; but then cancelled the blue and the turn.

In FSD 12.3's defense, I suppose, there was a right-turn jughandle coming up in 3/4 of a mile that the route had the car going on. But, still.

Finally gave up, went over on my own. And as soon as soon as it could, jiggered back into the right lane. 11.4.9 wasn't quite that locked into upcoming right turns.

Reactions: Hiline
I may have missed this in past discussion and videos, but FSD got good at dirt roads! As in nearly perfect.

V11 was… unrelaxing… (albeit safe). It would hunt around, unable to hold a straight line and decide where on a wide dirt road to go.

V12 is stable and smooth, not too far left so other cars get nervous, speed is reasonable and steady, and it controls for deer, bikes, runners, etc smoothly and politely.

It’s just boring!

E2E should be good in these situations (it’s not hard driving) and they absolutely delivered.

In FSD 12.3's defense, I suppose, there was a right-turn jughandle coming up in 3/4 of a mile that the route had the car going on. But, still.
Yep, 12.3 refuses to change away from an upcoming turn, even if you ask it to. Which is exactly the opposite of V11 that was all about changing lanes away from the next turn on its own, and wouldn't stay in the proper lane even if you kept changing back.

Here's another instance revealing how long it takes for FSD to initially respond to a bad situation. I count ~1.5 secs. I guess nothing but nets gives no significant improvement here. I slow the video to 0.25x and divide elapsed time by 4. I've yet to see FSD respond quicker than ~1.5secs.

If that’s response to a bad situation, why does it take 3-5 seconds to start moving again at a four way stop?

I should add, with NO other vehicles at the other three stop signs. ;-)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Yeah. It’s about that delay. Good to see an example. I have not had enough situations yet to tell what the latency is.

People who think FSD makes them safer need to think about this and what happened here. It was a near accident with a vehicle rear-ending the ego vehicle, caused by FSD (no reason for it to be anything other than a routine regen-only coasting stop). Remember: there is no data available indicating that using FSD makes driving safer. We simply do not have any information on that.

I think it likely does help a little. But this is a counter example. And I certainly don’t think supervised FSD with an attentive driver is safer than an attentive driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyborgLIS
If that’s response to a bad situation, why does it take 3-5 seconds to start moving again at a four way stop?
Hard to say. There’s thresholds for action, false negatives, false positives, etc.

Hopefully Tesla looks at examples like this and can figure out why the NN was so slow to respond. Often it has pre-emphasis with v12. This was deemphasis, so quite different.

In all cases I feel like having perception beyond a couple hundred yards ahead would be super helpful. Still lacking.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Hard to say. There’s thresholds for action, false negatives, false positives, etc.

Hopefully Tesla looks at examples like this and can figure out why the NN was so slow to respond. Often it has pre-emphasis with v12. This was deemphasis, so quite different.

In all cases I feel like having perception beyond a couple hundred yards ahead would be super helpful. Still lacking.
Honestly, I don’t think it has perception more than ~ 25 yards, MAYBE 35-40 at best. It is certainly in the FOV, and in the image - but it really doesn’t seem like it is doing any actual processing for cognition or perception until it’s much closer in.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
So my first drive with 12.3 was a tad mixed. There were some subtle improvements, but there were two pretty significant fails:
  1. On an UPL it did wait for traffic to clear, but then it got pretty confused. sort of crept a little into the intersection, and actually sort of indicated it wanted to turn right rather than left. Really balked at it.
  2. on a left turn that it usually did OK at, it actually also got confused and almost turned early into a drive way rather than the road itself. It happened to do this right in front of a police car!
I intervened in both cases.
I did clean all the cameras before heading out. Maybe I should reboot everything after the update?