Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once the speed is fixed, my next major disengagement cause is ironically going to be stuff like this:
IMG_2986.jpeg

There are a HUGE number of shockingly bad routing errors in the mapping near my house. We need a way to report and fix these.

For the record, a U-turn at this intersection would not only be illegal, but would possibly result in your untimely premature death--if not from a car accident, than from the resulting road rage.

Daytime. 12.3 definitely shown a couple-three improvements over 11.4.9, as follows:
  • There's this road, one nominal lane each direction, with a double yellow down the middle. A local freeway has an exit onto this road, starting with one lane, splitting to two lanes, with the right lane going right and the left lane going left, and with traffic lights stopping all traffic until the light changes. The main road has a 45 mph speed limit (set by signs), but Google Maps thinks it's 25 mph. NAV had 12.3 going left, which it did. All the cars in the line were chugging along at 35-40 mph after the turn - and, in auto, the car followed at that speed. So, the follow-the-car-and-go-their-speed function negated needing to madly rotate the speed thumb wheel.
  • Further up, same road, still 45 mph. There's more or less a fork in the road, but the road painting and such has the majority of traffic going towards the right. There's (nearly) always a line of cars waiting to turn left and go off that-a-way, with the road being very wide, with no lane markings, allowing traffic going to the right to bypass the left-turners. With 11.4.9 and earlier, the car running FSD tended to get in line behind the crowd of one or more cars and wait for them to move out of the way before continuing straight. With 12.3 today, with a line of five or so cars waiting, FSD slowed a bit, saw the more-than-a-lane width on the right, and, slowing a bit more, went past all those cars on the right without stopping, jerking, or freaking out in any way. That's a first. Then picked up speed and kept on chugging.
  • 12.3 fixed a regression. Kind of. There's an unprotected left turn from a two-lane road with a double yellow onto a local road. That road on the left terminates onto the two-lane road; but, about 10 yards or so before that intersection, there's a road on the right that also terminates onto the two-lane road. Consistently, with 11.4.9, the existence of this road on the right when the car was supposed to go left did something strange: The car would jerk the steering wheel madly, half-halt, jerk forward, and generally make a nuisance of itself to all traffic within 150 yards or so. Clearly, something wrong with the code. If one intervened, about 1/4 of the time one would get the red hands of death and all. In 12.3, none of that: The car came to a smooth halt, waited for traffic to clear, and smoothly turned left. Only complaint: It could have halted a bit more towards the center line, allowing cars coming up behind one to pass on the right; there's room. Still, given the absolute zaniness of 11.4.9 at this intersection, I count this one as a win.
The SO says: Too early to tell on spousal approval. But she sat through two drives back and forth to Kohl's with no complaints and no interventions.

Last edited:
Are you counting from when the lead car put on his brakes? The emergency doesn't start until after that, when the car gets closer. It isn't immediately clear that the lead car is completely stopped.

I even wonder whether the car overreacted, stopping sooner than necessary, making a collision with the following car more likely. But the driver, on the scene, felt the car reacted appropriately.
Yes, I'm assuming the lead vehicle is in hard brake mode which seems pretty accurate from the sounds of the driver like you said. Those wide angle lens make it tricky to judge distance.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Once the speed is fixed, my next major disengagement cause is ironically going to be stuff like this:
View attachment 1031563
There are a HUGE number of shockingly bad routing errors in the mapping near my house. We need a way to report and fix these.

For the record, a U-turn at this intersection would not only be illegal, but would possibly result in your untimely premature death--if not from a car accident, than from the resulting road rage.
lol. You must have “Scenic route” selected.

Are you counting from when the lead car put on his brakes? The emergency doesn't start until after that, when the car gets closer. It isn't immediately clear that the lead car is completely stopped.

I even wonder whether the car overreacted, stopping sooner than necessary, making a collision with the following car more likely. But the driver, on the scene, felt the car reacted appropriately.
There was no emergency here. The car created the emergency by not easing off as soon as brake lights appeared (this is what normal attentive drivers do, even if they don't use the friction brakes).

To me it also seemed like the car made the situation worse than it actually was by waiting to brake then braking too hard nearly causing the car behind to rear end the car. Also it seems it could be the driver is the one who took over and braked too hard?

Videos are extremely misleading in distances to vehicles, deceleration rates, etc. It's the whole reason people thought 12.x would be "really good," including stopping behavior (even though it was obvious from videos weeks ago that it would probably not be). Until you make a project of it, measure distances, look at deceleration rates, etc. (all possible from this video), it's a little hard to see how severe an event this was. Someone veering off the road behind (they weren't that close, but many people react this way for some reason) indicates it was a pretty quick stop (plus the stuff flying around the cabin). You never want to be in that situation - you want to leave enough margin to the vehicle in front so that you can potentially accelerate out of the way of someone who does not see you stopping (obviously in an emergency only), to mitigate or prevent a rear-end collision.

If the driver thought the car reacted appropriately, I think they're somewhat detached from how they themselves drive. "Autopilot had to stop that hard" - no it did not.

Main things here were to actually have a decent following distance (2 seconds excessively close in this situation), anticipate construction slowdown by offsetting in lane so lead traffic is more visible, and reacting to brake lights when they appear. That would have let to a better time for all involved. No friction brakes were needed.

Last edited:
To me it also seemed like the car made the situation worse than it actually was by waiting to brake then braking too hard nearly causing the car behind to rear end the car. Also it seems it could be the driver is the one who took over and braked too hard?

Could be assuming v12.3 response can be refined to respond faster. So far it seems to be a hard limit.