Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so after a year and a half 'Tesla vision" is actually working?

Well... nearly. Summon is the last significant missing piece and allegedly just about ready- though max set speed on AP also remains lower than it was before the vision switch.... (follow distance might still be inferior as well but since that's no longer a specific setting it's hard to say)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just to clarify, does it know stuff that happened before you joined Teslafi? I know I seem to be missing the first 6 months of data on drives but have never checked if it knows my update history prior to joining.
That is a good question. Sorry, I don't know the answer.

It would make sense for TeslaFi not to have info on updates prior to joining TeslaFi, but on the other hand perhaps the records are available from Tesla's servers.

In my case, my first TelsaFi data is on 1/1/2021, but it shows a software update on 12/29/10. I would not call that conclusive either way.

A quick first, very short drive on 12.3.1 yesterday evening. On my twisty road, it stayed much closer to the 35 mph speed limit than 12.3, which slowed down too much. 12.3.1 did slow down appropriately for the tighter turns, and did not cross the double yellow.

So far this morning, Tues 3/26 10:30 pst, there are TeslaFi is showing only 50 installed or pending on 12.3.1. I think it was first available on 3/24, so I think too early to tell if it will go wide. Perhaps a wave later today....

There's only one (two) problem(s): For about 35 of those minutes, I had to hold the pedal down. Even my grandma was rolling in her grave, impatient. On every single road, the car was driving either at the speed limit or 5 mph below it, and had I not held down the pedal everyone would have passed me.

First: Thanks for your report and the giggles.

Second: I'm still amazed at the number of comments about the speed where the complaint is "everyone would have passed me." That isn't a big issue to me. I prefer a smooth drive, and adjust my speed as much as possible, looking far down the road, so that I limit the number of times I have to bring my car to complete stop. I'm also one of those drivers you see in the FSD videos, backing off to let the FSDb driven car cut in. I do that for everyone (but leave EXTRA room when it is a tesla in case it is under FSDb mode at that moment and about to do something dangerous.

If it is just the speed limit or 5 mph below, you report would actually have me excited about trying out V12.x basically because I'm a slower driver anyway so it would be exciting to have my car drive the way I feel safe.

In the past few weeks, I've been paying attention to my speed to see if the previous sentence is correct. It is in narrow or 'traffic calmed' roads and residential streets. My neighbourhood is full of those, even my main road to the highway is traffic calmed, with bump outs bringing down the width of the lanes every few blocks, a major speed bump, and has bike lanes so I very seldom go the speed limit on it. I'd rather get from the highway to my turn without having to come to a complete stop for a light or traffic.

BUT on major roads, I tend to drive the speed for which the street was designed or slightly above, not the speed limit. So I was finding myself traveling with the flow of traffic a lot yesterday and going over the speed limit.

Worse, I watched the FSDb San Francisco video where the car was convinced the limit on the 25mph road was 5 mph.

As a result I"m not chomping at the bit to get V12 yet. Too many conflicting reports. Yours, which I could live with, I think easily, and the other where I would shut down FSD immediately because life's to short to put up with elon's BS product that isn't ready for beta let alone wide release.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Last night I tried V12.3 in my condo complex again. This time I wanted to see how it would handle the gate. When leaving it seemed to want to turn and not want to stop at the gate so I disengaged. V11 did the same. Both times the gate was still opening. The driveway has a 2nd path so I think it was trying to go there. When I returned it signaled and stopped partially over the center line. The gate was still opening. When it was fully open, V12.3 continued into the complex. I don't like where it stopped because I was blocking the on coming lane.

Green line is leaving
Yellow circle is the gate
Red is returning, red box is where the car stopped waiting for the gate to open.
1711474393700.png

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
It would make sense for TeslaFi not to have info on updates prior to joining TeslaFi, but on the other hand perhaps the records are available from Tesla's servers.

In my case, my first TelsaFi data is on 1/1/2021, but it shows a software update on 12/29/10. I would not call that conclusive either way.

I finally had time to go look it up and my first update shown was the same month I signed up for Teslafi (BTW for those without it, I'm bitchy about tesla but I love having TeslaFi.) So the first 6 months of updates aren't in my Teslafi records.

And my FSD stats are:

June 2022 for V10.12.2, then assorted updates to fix V10, finally stopping updates awaiting something significant.

April 2023, I moved up to V11.3.6 (after a week at 10.69 which was required before I could move up to V11) Until now, that was my longest stretch without updating, 135 days.

June 2023 we moved up to V11.4

I'm on V11.4.7.3 right now (having given up updating since it never fixes the now broken wipers.)

There will be a brief stop for me at 11.4.9 next week (car's going in for service for it will be updated whether I want to or not) then I'll be allowed to move up to V12.x.x when it is released in Canada. So my new record will be 155 days between updates.

One thing I do have to say…. All those who claimed that FSD without LIDAR is not possible have been proven wrong. i even drove 💯 FSD 35 miles from one city to another with no interventions yesterday during a thunderstorm 6am in the dark of the morning.
The claim is LIDAR is needed for L4/L5. FSD is just a Tesla brand. On that the jury is still out.

A couple pedestrian anecdotes with V12.3.

I was taking a left at a light, but there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk of the road I was turning onto. FSD pulled out into the intersection, but waited there for the pedestrian to clear, and without starting the turn. While I was waiting for the pedestrian, a car did in fact drive past in the opposing lanes. I'd probably have entered the intersection and gotten honked at.

I had another pedestrian interaction at night in the rain. I was trying to make an unprotected right at a red light. The car seemed very hesitant, and I was focused on traffic coming from the left. Actually, the lack of traffic. I nudged the car forward, but it wouldn't go. Just as I was thinking about pushing it out into the lane, the light went green. So I looked to make my turn - and there was a pedestrian, standing on the concrete median island right in front of me, in the dark and the rain, with no crosswalks anywhere nearby, but the car faithfully kept that 360 degree awareness no matter how unlikely any given situation might be.

I should add that the second scenario was complicated by the fact that much of my attention was focused on ensuring that the car didn't do anything stupid. It doesn't handle that particular right turn well, so I was particularly focused on the car. If I'd been able to trust the car's ability to make the turn and deal with cross traffic, I might have noticed the pedestrian. Fortunately, Tesla is hyper focused on the safety of Vulnerable Road Users.

I dropped off our Y for service. The model 3 loaner provided has 12.3.1 installed and FSD enabled.

I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't have time to check/tweak all the settings so I got whatever was transferred with the cloud profile.

The drive from the service to work was fine. There was a yellow light where the car started slowing down but I pressed the accelerator to go through instead of attempting to stop. It wasn't obvious if it was going to through or not and I just removed the ambiguity since we could safely make it. In another instance I let it stop safely.

The one disengagement was where it looked like it might be a little late in switching to the right turn lane (it was bearing left when we need to go right).

I believe I had autospeed enabled. The display switched from saying "Auto" to a number (sometimes way higher than the speed limit) when I went into the controls to check. Actual behavior was mostly fine. There were a couple of instances where I pressed the accelerator to get up to speed a little faster.

Ya'll guys are confusing me on the L3 debate. The ONLY ODD Tesla could handle on L3 at this time is on the highway (Interstate) and limited. So this would be v11 at this time. There is absolutely NO way it could be even close to meeting L3 in city driving since the car must "request" you take over. This requires the car to KNOW it can't do something and then warn you in advance. As of now it may run into a wall without ANY warning or "awareness" it is f'ing up.
Which is why it was suggested to start with control access highways initially with city/streets to follow as a separate phase.

I dropped off our Y for service. The model 3 loaner provided has 12.3.1 installed and FSD enabled.

I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't have time to check/tweak all the settings so I got whatever was transferred with the cloud profile.

The drive from the service to work was fine. There was a yellow light where the car started slowing down but I pressed the accelerator to go through instead of attempting to stop. It wasn't obvious if it was going to through or not and I just removed the ambiguity since we could safely make it. In another instance I let it stop safely.

The one disengagement was where it looked like it might be a little late in switching to the right turn lane (it was bearing left when we need to go right).

I believe I had autospeed enabled. The display switched from saying "Auto" to a number (sometimes way higher than the speed limit) when I went into the controls to check. Actual behavior was mostly fine. There were a couple of instances where I pressed the accelerator to get up to speed a little faster.
Let us know if the vehicle comes back from service with 12.3.1

Reactions: fcastrillo86
Reactions: Yelobird and enemji