Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been in the beta since Dec of 2021 (required safety score). 12.3 is the first release that has made me set up TACC and autosteer profiles. The system will not drive at the set speed when requested except on TACC, which requires me to steer. I am perfectly capable of this but I did not pay 12K to have to use the same system that was on my 2016 Elantra. And even worse, if I want go to the basic autosteer, I am worse off that my wife in her 2018 CRV with lane keeping and a cruise control that doesn't babysit her to 5 over. Really hoping 12.3.1 will respect set speeds rather than waiting for other cars to drive faster to accelerate. That doesn't work if you drive rural roads where you may not encounter other drivers for miles.

It’s not real until Fi shows a wave.
Yeah, and unfortunately at this point it is an ∞ly deep trough.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 6.26.34 AM.png

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Can those who want to debate the pedantry of SAE levels get a room at the Boring Hotel at 122 Yawn Drive, and take it to another thread? I believe the “That Discussion Has Been Beat To Death For Years” Suite is available.

Thanks ;).
While I agree the debate over SAE levels is boring the L3 discussion isn't going away. Let's just not rehash SAE levels everyone. There is a definite shift towards discussing L3 whether you agree or not.

Here is a video from Farzad a well known podcaster talking about L3 and the significance going forward with Tesla's FSD latest initiatives.
starts at 8:00.

Last edited:
While I agree the debate over SAE levels is boring the L3 discussion isn't going away. There is a definite shift towards discussing L3 whether you agree or not.

I think the debate we need to stop is what qualifies as which SAE level. It's a standard, so by definition, everything that falls under the standard falls under the standard and everything that doesn't doesn't. There's no point in arguing over the definition of a standard.

The debates worth having are whether the SAE levels are a useful standard (and if they're not, we need a new set of definitions), whether higher levels of autonomy are achievable on the current hardware, and whether Tesla will try to (and/or should) pursue those levels or whether they will continue forging their own path.

I think the debate we need to stop is what qualifies as which SAE level. It's a standard, so by definition, everything that falls under the standard falls under the standard and everything that doesn't doesn't. There's no point in arguing over the definition of a standard.

The debates worth having are whether the SAE levels are a useful standard (and if they're not, we need a new set of definitions), whether higher levels of autonomy are achievable on the current hardware, and whether Tesla will try to (and/or should) pursue those levels or whether they will continue forging their own path.

I think so long as the laws governing these systems directly reference SAE J3016 the levels are a "useful" standard in that they're the ones the law cares about and will govern the use and deployment of them.

To my knowledge every US state that has laws allowing any self driving does this- so if Tesla ever intends to remove the driver from the FSD loop it has no choice but to pursue the requirements of those levels. If instead if intends to leave it as an L2 driver-required system it does not.

(Unless of course Tesla imagines it can get new laws passed that specifically redefine everything in terms more preferable to them-- but given they still can't even get laws changed to be able to legally sell cars in some US states this seems... ambitious)

While I agree the debate over SAE levels is boring the L3 discussion isn't going away. Let's just not rehash SAE levels everyone. There is a definite shift towards discussing L3 whether you agree or not.

Here is a video from Farzad a well known podcaster talking about L3 and the significance going forward with Tesla's FSD latest initiatives.
starts at 8:00.

Regardless it doesn't belong in the v12 thread...there are other threads for that.

Really hoping to get 12.3.1 soon.

My commute was so bad on FSD again today. On v11 usually only had one speed intervention I needed to do. Today I had 2 safety interventions, 1 lane intervention, and 7 speed interventions. It almost ran into a parked car on the side of the road on a right turn despite clearly visualizing it. Scary.
"It almost ran into a parked car on the side of the road on a right turn despite clearly visualizing it. Scary."
What was the distance between the 2 cars?

FSD probably wants to be able to navigate with narrow gaps to meet the requirement in Europe. Streets in Europe are very narrow. Parking spots in Europe are very tight.

Will FSD be able to park like this?

• Funny
Reactions: Dewg
12.3.1 here. It does not make turns or exits in response to turn signals. Sigh. It only seems to do the lane change thing. I've heard that if you lane change into a turn only lane, it ... uh.... may turn. YMMV

I have not found a way yet.

I figure Tesla is still hung up on RoboTaxi, point A to point B with no intervention. But since that requires having point B in the nav, when nav is not in use, I think FSD ought to take turn commands from the blinkers.
Interesting. To me the robotaxi goal is somewhat conflicting and also Waymo is much further along there, so remains to be seen if Tesla’s approach will work out. Since FSD is currently being sold and marketed as a driver assist, would make more sense to optimize it for that, and also allow the driver to assist it.

Interesting. To me the robotaxi goal is somewhat conflicting and also Waymo is much further along there, so remains to be seen if Tesla’s approach will work out. Since FSD is currently being sold and marketed as a driver assist, would make more sense to optimize it for that, and also allow the driver to assist it.
One step at a time. I prefer 2 buttons on the screen to tell the car to turn or voice command.

Reactions: primedive
V12 tried to kill me for the second time last night.

My car was about 0.4 miles from the highway exit. The car got in the exit lane, noticed the line was backed up, got out of the exit lane, realized right away that this was stupid, and stopped!!! right in between while another car was coming from behind at highway speed. I yanked the car back to the exit lane while the other driver zipped by, angrily honking at the sheer stupidity (of me trusting FSD of course).

Back to assuming FSD is a psychopath with murderous intent now.

My car was about 0.4 miles from the highway exit. The car got in the exit lane, noticed the line was backed up, got out of the exit lane, realized right away that this was stupid, and stopped!!! right in between while another car was coming from behind at highway speed. I yanked the car back to the exit lane while the other driver zipped by, angrily honking at the sheer stupidity (of me trusting FSD of course).

I have also been in situations like that both on my congested local 3 way lanes and highway.

That's V11 though?