Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12.3.2.1 report:

Drove 8 minutes into town and back. Both directions, no interventions whatsoever.

Into town, Auto Speed, Aggressive.

1. Maxed at 42 mph in a 45mph zone where traffic goes 50mph. No cars around so I didn’t intervene but speed’s still broken. Maybe slightly better, but will still require accelerator input.

2. Leaving my subdivision the road splits with a center median. The car started heading toward it. Corrected itself but wasn’t great.

3. Creep is still way too slow. If traffic’s behind me they’ll get irritated.

4. As it pulled into the road, it was well into the lane and crawling at 2mph. No traffic around but it didn’t commit. After about 4-5 seconds, it started speeding up.

5. Pulling into my destination, it needed to pull into a suicide lane and then make a left turn across two lanes of oncoming traffic. It was a little hesitant about getting into the suicide lane, but once it did it waited for oncoming traffic and committed to the turn at the perfect time.

Tried autopark out. Had it park twice in perpendicular spots with no cars around. First park was great. Second was fine but it unnecessarily pulled forward a little bit to adjust.

It’s kinda slow now, but usable. Ashok has said autopark is tuned conservatively and they’ll speed it up over the next few releases.

On the way back I switched to manual speed control. Made it home without any interventions, but it’s a little slow and the car took 30 seconds to reach max set speed if it got there at all.

Conclusion: I don’t see any significant improvements compared to 12.3 yet.

Ok Tesla, spend some time on speed control and get it working well.

No cars around so I didn’t intervene but speed’s still broken
Who could have predicted this? (I did.)
Creep is still way too slow. If traffic’s behind me they’ll get irritated.
Who could have predicted this? (I did.)
Ashok has said autopark is tuned conservatively and they’ll speed it up over the next few releases.
I would see above, for setting reasonable expectations. Autopark has been slow for many many months, and I see no reason they would speed it up as long as it is still hitting things (it is still hitting things, unsurprisingly).

Also, speeding up may not be enough; since it is so slow already it may still be far too slow.

I think we are seeing now how quickly the rapid iteration and retraining of the neural nets solves problems. Start the clock on the Tweet from Elon saying v12.4 utilized the full power of their new NVDA hardware and is a step change.

Last edited:
Reactions: kabin
1. Maxed at 42 mph in a 45mph zone where traffic goes 50mph. No cars around so I didn’t intervene but speed’s still broken. Maybe slightly better, but will still require accelerator input.
I still have 12.3, but I find I rarely need to boost the speed anymore. It's almost like the car remembers those accelerator pushes and uses them as an input to the E2E system.

Even better might be if the cloud distributed data on where everyone is pushing the accelerator and the cars used that data as near real time input.

I still have 12.3, but I find I rarely need to boost the speed anymore. It's almost like the car remembers those accelerator pushes and uses them as an input to the E2E system.

Even better might be if the cloud distributed data on where everyone is pushing the accelerator and the cars used that data as near real time input.
I have noticed that as well didn’t know if it was a fluke or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Optimeer
Report again in a couple weeks (without updating software).
I've already been driving it almost two weeks now. I was in the second wave of 12.3. So, I have quite a few miles on it now.

It does sort of make sense that Tesla can take advantage of crowd sourced vehicle telemetry for auto speed. The cars don't even need to be running FSD. If they can collect statistics on average speeds when vehicles are traveling near the speed limit (not in a back up), they could use these as one input for auto speed selection. Even for roads that are not well traveled by Teslas, similar road data could be used.

Something to consider.

Just got home from a month in Florida, and got to try out v12.3 finally, after reading all about it here!

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the new end-to-end approach, and excited for the future of FSD! I have never had any expectation of my car becoming a Robo-Taxi, or allowing me to sit in the back seat and surf the net while my car took me places. I was always fully aware that FSD was simply a driver's aid (and a pretty scary one at that for the past 2 years). I've been a big user of FSDb for a long time, and enjoy helping provide feedback to Tesla to improve their system.

So I've done several drives with 12.3 so far, and have found that it has resolved virtually all of my prior problems with v11. My car hasn't darted into a turn lane unexpectedly a single time, where before it was tempted by almost every turn lane it passed. My car accelerates from a stop at a brisk clip, just like I do myself. It starts slowing down fairly early for stops, just like I do. It moves around in the lane like I do...

I have been nudging the accelerator whenever the auto speed is below the speed limit (fairly common with 12.3), and I'm happy to see it maintain my higher speed quite well. I actually kind of prefer the overall setting to be fairly conservative, with the option to just goose the accelerator a bit anytime I want more speed.

I know the car isn't really "fully self driving" yet, but for my use case, it's become an amazing, reliable driver's assistance that I would never want to be without again.

And I am more confident than ever that Tesla is on the right path to making this system better and better with each iteration, as more training data is added. It's hard to know what the "ceiling" will be on the improvements, but it's clear that the ceiling has been raised immensely from what it was under v11.

Well done, Tesla!

My 12.3.2.1 report:

Drove 8 minutes into town and back. Both directions, no interventions whatsoever.

Into town, Auto Speed, Aggressive.

2. Leaving my subdivision the road splits with a center median. The car started heading toward it. Corrected itself but wasn’t great.

3. Creep is still way too slow. If traffic’s behind me they’ll get irritated.

4. As it pulled into the road, it was well into the lane and crawling at 2mph. No traffic around but it didn’t commit. After about 4-5 seconds, it started speeding up.

5. Pulling into my destination, it needed to pull into a suicide lane and then make a left turn across two lanes of oncoming traffic. It was a little hesitant about getting into the suicide lane, but once it did it waited for oncoming traffic and committed to the turn at the perfect time.

Tried autopark out. Had it park twice in perpendicular spots with no cars around. First park was great. Second was fine but it unnecessarily pulled forward a little bit to adjust.

It’s kinda slow now, but usable. Ashok has said autopark is tuned conservatively and they’ll speed it up over the next few releases.

On the way back I switched to manual speed control. Made it home without any interventions, but it’s a little slow and the car took 30 seconds to reach max set speed if it got there at all.

Conclusion: I don’t see any significant improvements compared to 12.3 yet.

Ok Tesla, spend some time on speed control and get it working well.
We must have driven the same route. I had a very similar experience. Except my parking attempt was like a 3 point turn. Successful but not pretty. No interventions but Auto max is still not great. I really didn’t notice much of a change from 12.3. Will have to do some more driving to confirm.

To be honest most situations that 12.3.2.1 struggled with for me involved other vehicles and this is more of a risk calculation art.

You NEED the other person to not be an ass for some of these maneuvers or at least shove your actual ass in front of them fast enough that they chill out otherwise they'll be at fault. This is very very real. Sometimes all you really need is the potential collision to be such that the other party is at fault for the other drivers ego to stop.

This happens ALL THE TIME. Like when people don't let you merge. Or when you're trying to enter the road and the other person speeds up ON PURPOSE.

If every person on the road was submissive and breedable this wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: tmoz
It's kinda pointless to talk about v12.3.1 now since a newer version is out but since I just completed a full 400km trip, I'll mention here.

On the highways, I cannot tell the difference between this and v11. I don't think they made any changes unless I didn't force it to reveal such behaviors.

As for the two smaller cities I visited, v12.3.1 worked very well. I now use the same speed offset setting as what I used to do on v11, and use accelerator or scroll to get my desired results. I now have much higher level confidence in these type of environments. Zero disengagement today, but admittedly, quite a bit of accelerator and scroll wheel actions. That's ok for me as it is becoming a second nature. I much prefer this way of driving than without FSD, or v11.

Interestingly, my wife asked me about 10 times during this trip - "are YOU driving or is FSD driving?"

In all cases, FSD was driving.

It's probably me, but I prefer to adapt to FSD to a degree so that it will be a useful tool to me.

Then again, I haven't driven in a big city yet. That's a trip to Toronto, which is coming up tomorrow... 😋

New FSD user, not sure about older versions but this 12.3.1 needs a lot of revisions:

- Autopark is outstanding, love it
- Coming out of turns left or right is a hazard, required several interventions.
- Doesn’t go the speed limit, it always 5-10 mph under.
- Stops way too early
- Takes off too fast or too slow

Overall, it’s a nice party trick on streets, great on the freeway. Far from mind blowing.

They are getting there though.

New FSD user, not sure about older versions but this 12.3.1 needs a lot of revisions:

- Autopark is outstanding, love it
- Coming out of turns left or right is a hazard, required several interventions.
- Doesn’t go the speed limit, it always 5-10 mph under.
- Stops way too early
- Takes off too fast or too slow

Overall, it’s a nice party trick on streets, great on the freeway. Far from mind blowing.

They are getting there though.
Your mileage may vary.

Well that's fine, because they're unlikely to call it "FSD (Self-Accelerating)".
Just an update, I finally spoke with My brother in law, taught him how to connect to WiFi and update. He called me today after installing yesterday and sounded like a 5 year old. He was so happy with v12 I almost felt bad for messing with him.
However most of us have had to put up with v10, 11, etc for 2 years plus.
He just bought his Tesla 2 weeks ago, and will never know the pain it took to get here.