Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG 😲, that is not how we anticipate if we are about to get the update.
It's always been a big number change in the left column.
Nobody gives a rip about people who got it days ago.
I also give a rip about the installed numbers. I'm also looking forward to 2024.3.6 (FSD 12.3.2.1). But of the 1,636 so far installed or pending, only 3 came from the same version as mine. That is 0.18% of the total came from my version. The good news is that this means some like mine are eligible, but the bad news is that it may take a while longer still.

On the other hand, cars on my version are less than 1% of the fleet, so I'm about as likely to get it soon as anyone.

I think I said this before, but I assume most of the order of release is at random, and Ramphex may just not be quite random enough.

Seriously though, the roll out fo V12 seemed to show that Tesla was treating some of us "testers" differently from others on V11.4.9. After long delays to get some production release features, I had hoped that the 2023.44 releases meant the end of the "beta" program. That some of us were not offered 2024 versions shatters my hope. We are still stuck in the interminable volunteer group. Like the Hotel California, we can check out, but we can never leave, it seems.

FSD ran a red light. Not really sure what caused this because the lights were clearly red and I don’t see any lights that could have confused it.

This is actually perfectly legal in California. When there is an island between the right turn lane and the straight ahead lane and there is no red signal to the right of the right turn lane, the driver simply has to yield. No stop is required. In this case, the island is the painted triangle on the road.

what what what?

What if this whole "based on millions of video clips of humans driving" thing doesn't work and Tesla has to to back to explicit coding?
I worried about the same thing for quite a while, but since installing V12 and seeing how well it performs, my worries of that are gone.

I do think there may be certain situations Tesla will want to hardcode behavior for, or maybe use specific overriding map data (such as for one freeway on ramp near me where v12 always tries to enter a parking lot that's just before the onramp, leading to a consistent disengagement every time I enter the freeway. Regardless, it's clear by 12.3's performance that this Neural-network-first approach is the way forward.

V12.3 seems to have a better spacing between cars (at least front to back). Specifically, in Berkeley, CA today the car left the "KEEP CLEAR" section clear appropriately. I thought it might just be luck but shortly after that it correctly closed the gap to the vehicle in front when there wasn't a "KEEP CLEAR".

I disengaged when there was a truck partially blocking the path. I suspect it would have done fine but there was enough other traffic that I didn't want to wait. Earlier I gave it a little nudge with the accelerator when it paused a little too long at a pedestrian that was at end of cross walk facing away from the street. I disengaged practically at a destination when we encountered some protesters. Overall, I thought it did really well in a downtown area. The key thing is how "comfortable" it felt co-driving in a downtown.

Lane selection might be slightly better on the freeways. In V11, the car would have a tendency to exit the express lanes on 880 and then re-enter. It stayed "perfectly" today. The one freeway disengagement was when the car was late in moving into the flyover from 880 to 237. I don't drive this enough to fully anticipate it, I suspect with a little help it would have been fine. On the drive up to Berkeley, we needed to go from 85 to 237 and since I take that exit enough, I knew to "help" by signaling early.

what what what?

Pauses to comprehend that FSD made it out of beta before the auto wipers did.

I last tried FSD in the September/October/November timeframe last year (2023), when I had it on free trial after my August purchase. Wasn’t impressed. It did a lot of dumb things and I was more nervous with it driving.

Got in my car today, saw the free trial of the new v12 version…decided to give it a shot and let it drive to the grocery, which involved a 3 mile trip on suburban streets plus a very short (single exit) highway jaunt.

Still not impressed. It still does lots of stupid stuff that make other drivers think I’m high or drunk. It cannot handle roundabouts (I live in the roundabout capital of the US, north side of Indianapolis), it totally missed getting in the correct turn lane to get on the highway, it missed getting in the correct turn lane getting off the highway (it stayed in the center lane, which was a right-only, and I needed to turn left). On the way back, when exiting the highway, the simple lane change over into the exit lane was unnecessarily jerky — it overshot and bounced off the right shoulder line before settling in the center of the lane. Then it crept up to a roundabout like a scared 15 year old behind the wheel for the first time. People around me were getting annoyed.

I can’t believe people pay for this. I’m glad Tesla’s working on it, but this is one of those things that has to work way more consistently than it currently does for me to want to use it.
Sorry you had a bad experience but just know that highway driving is using the old V11 stack so until that is replaced with V12 those problems will continue. Good chance after you've driven for a week you'll find FSD drives much better than what you used last fall. So much depends on where you live and what type of roads you drive. For me V12 has been excellent. Today I had my first safety disengagement in a week because FSD still doesn't move over for emergency vehicles coming up from behind with flashing lights.

Last edited:
what what what?
Jesus, another subversion, we’ll never get off 2023.x.x software at this rate

This is actually perfectly legal in California. When there is an island between the right turn lane and the straight ahead lane and there is no red signal to the right of the right turn lane, the driver simply has to yield. No stop is required. In this case, the island is the painted triangle on the road.

Colorado has a ton of slip lanes for right turns at intersections all over that you don't need to stop for (or even yield to other vehicles in case of a dedicated added lane on the road you're turning on to.

FSD has always struggled with these, both in hesitation and pathing (drifting wide). V12 is better but occasionally hesitates too much.

Pauses to comprehend that FSD made it out of beta before the auto wipers did.

Isn't basic autopilot labeled "Autosteer (Beta)" in the car? It's only been 8 years, lol.

With this new 12.3.3 release going, everyone's so excited about the naming shift Beta > FSD Supervised. I'm more curious how much improvement they're making in these point releases.

• Informative
Reactions: Pdubs and Ramphex
Notes about my first 12.3.2.1 drive:

At first the "What happened?" prompt was gone. Thought maybe I'd complained too much. It came back after a mile or two.

Tried the new Autopark twice. Cool to choose a spot, but both times I had to abort because I was scaring/freaking out other drivers in the parking lot. Much easier to do it myself.

Didn't get a chance to see if the slow-driving problem was solved.

Isn't basic autopilot labeled "Autosteer (Beta)" in the car? It's only been 8 years, lol.

With this new 12.3.3 release going, everyone's so excited about the naming shift Beta > FSD Supervised. I'm more curious how much improvement they're making in these point releases.
I thought so too but I was fact checking myself and at least the model Y online manual doesn't have the word Beta in that section that I could see. On the other hand, you made me double check and, because tesla...., you'll find beta describing traffic aware cruise control and autosteer in the Model S online manual.

I watched the video again. Normally here, the island would also serve as a refuge for the pedestrians and they cross the slip lane (either on the green or the red because the slip lane isn't controlled by the lights) and wait for the green so they can proceed across the cross street.

In this case, they'd have to stay back on the sidewalk as their crossing lines seem to be included as part of that slip lane. I can't recall ever seeing one begin so far into the turn, that is not common here.

The rain makes it unclear but at the 14 second mark of the video, I'd swear the stop line continues all the way to the sidewalk (ending roughly where the pedestrian crossing line begins) which, to my mind means the car did run the red because it should have stopped before pulling forward.

what what what?
I'm pausing again to check the date. It isn't April 1st anywhere yet but I'm still skeptical. I'm assuming this has rolled out only to employees since it isn't showing on Teslafi or teslascope?

Never mind, Reddit answered my question - employees only.