Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my speed limit warning set to 9 MPH, but it makes no difference. (That only impacts when it notifies you that you are going too fast.) It still goes 42 MPH in a 30 zone with ASSO enabled,

If you are using ASSO it looks like this:

View attachment 1034592

Nothing for you to change.

If you turn ASSO off it looks like this:

View attachment 1034593

Where your only option is to set a percentage.
Did you look at my picture? It's in plain English.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Baby steps
Yep. Moving forward, Tesla needs to show us how they can get this dog to hunt. If they can establish that they have firm control over the behavior of the software, then I'll be able to sit back and enjoy watching them tune the system. So far they haven't done that at all, but they have distractions in the form of Elon's trial month right now - and 12.3.3 is a sub-point release anyway. V12.4 needs to be a clear improvement for a diverse set of drivers if I'm going to get my hopes up. I fear that we may be in a multi-year process of the Tesla team learning how to train the system to do what they want. After all, nobody has done this before, and they're tasked with making this thing work across the US and Canada in the short term. Eventually, everywhere.

I think it is FC for at least L3. May be we need a few more things for L4.

Ofcourse the stupid levels don't say anything about quality or error rate.
Perhaps, but the point is will HW3 and lower cars ever get to L3/L4/L5, or are the hardware crippled. Sure, maybe, eventually, HW4+ cars may get to L3, but that's not the point. Over 90% of the Teslas on the road today, are HW3 and lower, meaning most of the FSD purchases were for cars with HW3 or lower.

Did you look at my picture? It's in plain English.

So why do you not understand what it says?

1712069798053.png

Note the separating line between the ASSO option and the Speed Limit Warning section. Try turning off ASSO and see what your screen looks like...

Maybe you have a non-USS car so it doesn't have the Summon section, which makes it more likely to misinterpret?

1712069980471.png

Last edited:
12.3.3 is a regression for me vs 12.3.1, more disengagements in my area, more robotic motions once again
Based on history, this can be expected (from Tesla). Once in a blue moon, we get a decent release (like v12.3.1), but that is quickly followed up, and replaced with, broken junk that generates many threads and posts on TMC of people talking about all the regressions.... 🤨

Last edited:
"Go home, Tesla. You're drunk."

I worry about this, too, and I've decided to clamp down on FSD, and stop letting it do stupid things anywhere in sight of other drivers. Can you imagine a bunch of Teslas coming to an intersection from all directions, doing weird lane wobbles and stops? I think other drivers would start to doubt their sanity.

We always said that V11 was like a nervous teenager who is learning to drive. Well, I'd say that V12 is like a slightly drunk 20-something. V12 accelerates too hard, brakes poorly, cuts tight on corners, wobbles during lane changes, can't keep a speed, wanders in its lane, etc. If I ever have a police car behind me, you can believe I'm gonna drive manually.
I have to wonder how difficult it really is to have procedural overrides, such as "stay centered in your lane" rather than religiously emulating normal human lane wandering behavior. Thinking now it's a lot more difficult than it would seem to us non-FSD-developers.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
I have to wonder how difficult it really is to have procedural ovverides, such as "stay centered in your lane" rather than religiously emulating normal human lane wandering behavior. Thinking now it;s a lot more difficult than it would seem to us non-FSD-developers.
Those overrides need a perception system to figure out how to function, and the outputs from those overrides still need to be fed into the neural network so that overall control can be integrated. As a result, the lane centering override would really just be a system to say "This is the center of the lane". When the neural network believes that it should be centering in the lane, it would use that input. When it wants to change lanes, bias to the inside of a turn, go around an obstruction, or a thousand other variations, then it would ignore that input. Or so you'd hope, because how that input is treated is determined by the training process.

Ultimately, those are V11 techniques of trying to force human notions of control onto the system. We want the neural network to do the job. I attribute the current behavior to the data that they're training on. That, or the team wants to (or has to) post-process the control outputs to smooth them out or sanity check them, etc. Their manual intervention may be a hack on an immature neural network that happens to give interesting behavior, but which may ultimately get in the way of making a true neural network control system. But I'm just making all of that up; we just don't know how they've structured things. I do know that software engineers like to have control, and they'll hack to make stuff work when it comes to company products.

Reactions: etorres and lzolman
Perhaps, but the point is will HW3 and lower cars ever get to L3/L4/L5, or are the hardware crippled. Sure, maybe, eventually, HW4+ cars may get to L3, but that's not the point. Over 90% of the Teslas on the road today, are HW3 and lower, meaning most of the FSD purchases were for cars with HW3 or lower.
I don't think HW is the limiting factor. Its the software ... so we don't really know.

Better question, to me, is will Tesla get to L3 level quality (irrespective of whether they take liability or not), in the useful lifespan of HW3 cars. Earliest Model 3s are already 5 years old. So, let us say 5 more years of useful lifespan. Will FSD get to 1 disengagement in 10,000 miles from where it is today (1 in 20 with V12 ?) in 5 years ....

ps : In FSD news today ... in my neighborhood a car in front of me stopped / parked. FSD just went behind the car and was waiting .... I disengaged to drive around. May be eventually FSD would have figured out the car had stopped and moved ... definitely not "human like".

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc