Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. What’s the difference in how other OEMs track attentiveness?

Btw.. Not challenging your response,, I’m just not educated enough to understand it. 😉
They use IR (inferred transmitters aimed directly at the driver's eyes) and dedicated IR cameras (likely more IR sensitive only sensing IR with a smaller field of view aimed/focused directly at the driver's eyes). You could wear welder's glasses and they could track your pupils.

Last edited:
They use IR (inferred transmitters aimed directly at the driver's eyes) and dedicated IR cameras (likely more IR sensitive only sensing IR with a smaller field of view aimed/focused directly at the driver's eyes). You could wear welder's glasses and they could track your pupils.
I put black electrical tape over those transmitters years ago.
When the sun goes down, Elon and the boys see nothing....

/s

i dont have 12.3.4 yet, this is an edge case for 12.3.3 in MYP, construction area, challenging for those not been through the area, left lane turns into only left turns, SFSD correctly changes lanes to the right and then goes back into left lane, disengage
come on Tesla, fix this

So weird though - why did it go to 8mph without stopping at the line?
As in why did it not continue to make a full stop when it was still showing red? There's been other cases where 12.x treats stops as yields, but it was stopping initially and continued with the green (with the incorrect belief that the pedestrian would continue to stay still):
12.x red green.jpg

This could be useful in determining the reaction time to signal changes. I've noticed on some videos that control changes sooner than other visualizations (e.g., visualization still shows red light when control already decides to go for green with an extended blue path), so potentially more examples of visualizations not reflecting what control is deciding to do.

So are we all assuming that each minor point version is a new, re-trained NN?
No.
As in why did it not continue to make a full stop when it was still showing red?
Right, that is mysterious to me. Even me, an inveterate California stopper, would have approximated a stop at the line.
but it was stopping initially
No it accelerated from the position behind the lead car into the intersection. It just so happened that the light turned green before it got to the line. It monotonically increased speed until I broke the steering.

This could be useful in determining the reaction time to signal changes.
Yellow light was 0.5 seconds, 15 frames, prior video posted.

Last edited:
interesting, yesterday, im in a line of vehicles approaching a light, SFSD is slightly tailgatting, but were going slow, road has some sand debris
vehicle in front of me slams on the brakes and SFSD slams on the brakes and we skid, no accident, but a little crazy, SFSD should have just hung back, more space, no slamming on brakes
come on Tesla, fix this

So are we all assuming that each minor point version is a new, re-trained NN? v12.3.3 -> 12.3.4 they trained the NN and pushed out an update for it? Or are the minor updates the exact same NN, with tweaks to other features, such as including more cars, or fixes for charging/audio/AC/etc?
I would check the Data bank size for the Ai model to see if anything changed version to version.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
So are we all assuming that each minor point version is a new, re-trained NN? v12.3.3 -> 12.3.4 they trained the NN and pushed out an update for it? Or are the minor updates the exact same NN, with tweaks to other features, such as including more cars, or fixes for charging/audio/AC/etc?
A single iteration of the network takes on the order of weeks to train, with additional weeks of testing at the very minimum and tons of new training footage. No way a newly-trained model comes out as a maintenance (third number) version.

The 12.3.3 to 12.3.4 release has configuration changes, bias tweaks, or bug fixes. etc.

A newly-trained network will have much more noticeable differences and will be at least a minor release (second number, eg 12.3 -> 12.4) increase.

I mean, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to make YouTube content when the manufacturer just gives you stuff to talk about. And then you can talk about the same topics on each update version.
And if there's nothing really to talk about, you can still put some clickbait thumbnail with huge letters "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING"

But still, there's nothing stopping you or me from doing the same and making money - except of course our serious scholarship and impeccable ethical standards...right?

A single iteration of the network takes on the order of weeks to train, with additional weeks of testing at the very minimum and tons of new training footage. No way a newly-trained model comes out as a maintenance (third number) version.

The 12.3.3 to 12.3.4 release has configuration changes, bias tweaks, or bug fixes. etc.

A newly-trained network will have much more noticeable differences and will be at least a minor release (second number, eg 12.3 -> 12.4) increase.
12.4 May 1st, anyone?

Yep. This continued focus on the subtle differences in point releases is really odd when it appears to just be tweaks to inputs of the model.

We’ll really only know whether there is any hope with the next release of a new retrained model (maybe 12.4 which Elon will say should arguably be called v14). If the obvious shortcomings are not resolved, any remaining hope for a useful L2 assist at least with HW3 will be at long last extinguished.

I guess if those issues are not resolved people will argue that Tesla is “focusing on safety issues” or some such nonsense.

Hopefully they figure out how to reduce model latency. It seems extreme right now - as much as 0.5 seconds, if not longer. Yikes.

It monotonically increased speed until I broke the steering
Sorry poor wording on my part. The left screenshot shows a dark black line at the end of the blue path indicating FSD was planning to stop probably because the light was red. But indeed the acceleration was always positive as it was still pulling up to its stop line, and before it got there, it saw the green and maintained its acceleration without ever needing to decelerate for the stop.

Here's some examples of the other point of 11.x traffic light visualizations seem to be just slightly slower still showing red / not green than 12.3.4 blue control path visualization from Dirty Tesla and Chuck Cook:
12.3.4 red blue.jpg

Although can't quite count frames from their direct screen feeds versus camera views as it might be differently synchronized versus your video showing real world and visualized world from one recorder.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
And if there's nothing really to talk about, you can still put some clickbait thumbnail with huge letters "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING"

But still, there's nothing stopping you or me from doing the same and making money - except of course our serious scholarship and impeccable ethical standards...right?
There is something stopping the 3 of us. We aren't funny, interesting, or smart.
So back to the drawing board!!

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird and JHCCAZ
Can you explain to us low IQ peeps, this data bank thing?
IMG_1366.jpeg

The full self driving computer has a dual redundant failsafe. There are two computers. If one fails, the other can take over.

When you enter service mode, there is an option to see how much data each is loaded onto each data bank. A and B.

This is essentially the model. 12.3.3 and 12.3.4 have the exact same model loaded in model 3s and possibly Ys.

1713143623098.jpeg

So basically all the people making comparisons between the two versions are snorting placebo.