Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla allows hands free now does that mean the steering wheel weights and whatever Omar used was ok to use this whole time?
I looked up the device Omar appears to use. It is an electronic do-dad that plugs into the car's computer network. What it does is tells the computer that every few seconds the volume control scroll wheel is adjusted up or down a click. The car interprets this the same as a bit of steering wheel torque. Pretty clever, really. This probably changes the audio volume too, but not perceptibly.

Is it OK to use? Tesla tells us to keep a hand on the wheel, and requires us to pay attention. I don't watch Omars videos, but if he pays attention, he may be doing what Tesla requires, but not what they say to do. The problem would be folks who use a device and don't pay attention. By surreptitiously using a device, Omar is demonstrating and perhaps promoting inattentive AutoPilot use. Not good. I would guess that Elon would prefer that Omar not do that. But now Elon has released a sort of "hands free" version, he may actually be OK with it, who knows.

Omar appears to be the author of the site at Whole Mars Catalog. He tells some interesting stories about the cottage industry of short sellers / Tesla disinformation mongers. I had nothing better to do while waiting for 12.4.x, so why not go for a dive into the Elon fan space? Suffice it to say that Omar is prolific content creator. I was sorry to see him vilified here, but I think that happened largely because, like me, folks had little else to do while waiting for 12.4.x.

I looked up the device Omar appears to use. It is an electronic do-dad that plugs into the car's computer network. What it does is tells the computer that every few seconds the volume control scroll wheel is adjusted up or down a click. The car interprets this the same as a bit of steering wheel torque. Pretty clever, really. This probably changes the audio volume too, but not perceptibly.

Is it OK to use? Tesla tells us to keep a hand on the wheel, and requires us to pay attention. I don't watch Omars videos, but if he pays attention, he may be doing what Tesla requires, but not what they say to do. The problem would be folks who use a device and don't pay attention. By surreptitiously using a device, Omar is demonstrating and perhaps promoting inattentive AutoPilot use. Not good. I would guess that Elon would prefer that Omar not do that. But now Elon has released a sort of "hands free" version, he may actually be OK with it, who knows.

Omar appears to be the author of the site at Whole Mars Catalog. He tells some interesting stories about the cottage industry of short sellers / Tesla disinformation mongers. I had nothing better to do while waiting for 12.4.x, so why not go for a dive into the Elon fan space? Suffice it to say that Omar is prolific content creator. I was sorry to see him vilified here, but I think that happened largely because, like me, folks had little else to do while waiting for 12.4.x.
Posting 100s of videos of how each FSD beta version performs while using a cheat device and not disclosing it sounds like misinformation to me.

Tesla actually disabled the scroll wheel nag dismissal mechanism initially for FSD V12 (suggesting perhaps they frowned upon it), but added it back in V12.3.
Elon however have always wanted a hands free version, basically the logic is that the hands on wheels is just a means to an end of attention detection. As long as NHTSA is satisfied with the camera based attention detection, that is the direction he wants to push.

• Informative
Reactions: cyborgLIS and EVNow
I thought he showed the whole wheel in the videos ...

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 6.15.41 AM.png

Shouldn’t but did, repeatedly. FSD quit, threw up the red hands saying Take Over Immediately (with my hands on the wheel and my foot hovering over the pedal) without any advanced warning. The fog was very dense when this happened.

I am not trying to get in the middle of an online opinion argument. I have a separate question: If one uses FSD for all driving - city and highway, shouldn’t their Tesla Insurance safety score be 100? FSD sure accelerates from stoplights faster than I do! What’s the score for that?!!
Well I get the point of such an argument. However, FSD Supervised is not in charge. It definitely would be interesting to see FSD safety score history over its development life.

Reminds me of the million dollar pen Nasa built to work in zero G's - Russia used a pencil.

Pencils don't work well in space (they produce dust and fragments). A private company developed an all-conditions pen on their own for a million dollars. Both Soviet and American programs used the same pen, at the same price point. They still do.

Pencils don't work well in space (they produce dust and fragments). A private company developed an all-conditions pen on their own for a million dollars. Both Soviet and American programs used the same pen, at the same price point. They still do.

Very interesting, good post.

And coincidentally, I just purchased 2 space pens a couple of days ago. However, times have changed ...

1000032152.jpg

... I paid just a little bit more:

1000032154.jpg

Also interesting is how this wondering thread meandered from FSD to the price of a pen 🤪

I don't watch Omar's videos (except for the one where his was the only V12 video out there for a while) or follow influencers/shills at all, but I would guess that people who find and watch his videos generally understand that FSD(S) requires driver attentiveness monitoring and probably didn't have "Gee, I guess I don't need to touch the wheel/yoke any more..." as a take-away. Yes, he could have had a disclaimer like, "I'm using a doohickey so I don't have to torque the yoke, to avoid nags while I'm commenting, but I'm always being attentive. This is not to condone defeat devices." Then there wouldn't be the "false advertising" narrative. If he had a reason not to make such a disclosure, my guess is it wasn't a financial one. But of course I don't know.

Reactions: zoomer0056

I have the one I bought about 50 years ago. Once ever few years I stumble across it. Still writes fine :)