Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really not complicated. Another way to describe it is "do exactly what you would do in your other car, except don't touch the shifter or clutch".
Auto shift out of park never seemed like it would be useful to me but auto shift between D and R seems really nice. Too bad my car has stalks though I don't see why they couldn't bring it to stalk-ful cars (other than to keep it a premium feature). But I'm curious how fast it is compared to manual shifting. You don't have to bring the car to a complete stop before shifting manually. Does auto shift require bringing the car to a complete stop?

How many friends do you have total? How many of those have Teslas and understand everything about them? How many out of those have FSD? Use that to make a ratio with friends total and that’ll give you a rough idea of how many people watch his videos that know he is tricking, or know how it should work, or know nothing at all and are drooling over Elon’s super cool new technology.

My ratio from the above is about 200:1. From all of my friends in real life who own Teslas, I’m the only one who has FSD. The rest don’t care to spend the money on it and most of the time don’t even use the AP (including my SO with Model Y)

So weren't you Ramphex when I posted that lol?

I'm not going to subject everyone to the long-winded answer I wrote first and just deleted, just the executive summary: I didn't even notice he wasn't getting nags when I first watched one of his vids, so why would it even be a thing to take notice if you're Joe Possible Tesla Customer? And if Joe cares, isn't it Joe's responsibility to ask someone who knows?

Hokay! Looked at the Fancy-Dancy release notes and decided to take it for a short drive.

Yeah, it's FSDS 12.3.6 so, in theory, no change. And, while the car got caught downloading a separate Games Update (there's... games updates...), no new map yet.

Turned on the Improved Visualization. Hmm. The actual maps get shoved into the top right corner, most of the screen is covered with visualization graphics. As the SO pointed out, without having seen it (but being a professional Human Factors type, whose opinion counts for A Lot on this kind of thing) one has the NAV data up there because, well, that's more useful when one is out and driving about.

It does look downright fancy.. and it's distracting enough that one has to force one's eyes to Look Out The Blame Windows instead. Well, it's new and shiny. Maybe the attraction will wear off over time. But there sure are a lot of graphics out there.

It'll be handy for all those YouTube types since (I checked!) it shows all six lanes of an interstate (3 on my side, 3 on the other) at once. I'll probably leave it on for the next few drives just to see if there's any particular attraction to the UI: If Tesla went through all that trouble to build the UI, there might actually be some advantage to giving it a try for a day or three.

As far as the relatively short ten mile drive there and back went: No interventions, but that's not unusual for 12.3.6. On this drive, there's a number of stop signs, on ramps, off ramps, some more-than-90-degree turns, and stop lights. I'd like to think that it went through the stop signs faster.. but this was at 10 p.m. and there wasn't that much traffic out, so it probably was that.

Finally: The NAV has this glitchy habit of picking a drive back to the house that involves getting off on a road that, yes, does go through my town - but the ramp exit is Right Turn Only, and there's no good place for a U-turn. As a result, the NAV has one turning left into a teeny tiny development with teeny tiny roads, no two alike, and narrow, and then doing a slow three rights to implement a U-turn, but using streets.

There's a better way by getting off the Interstate one exit earlier, then taking a bit more winding route that happens to be All Major 2-lane roads. To do that with the NAV, one has to get the map into showing multiple paths, then pick one of the alternate paths.

That was.. easier than expected, given the weird display. Tap the map and it took over the screen, as per normal, showing the alternate routes. Tap the route one wants, then the little direction icon until it's back into normal. The Big Display doesn't come back unless one swipes left-to-right and expands the visualization area.

We'll see if things are better once the map update shows.

So today my car drove home during rush hour - a combination of side roads, trunk roads and interstates with congested traffic. 43 minutes, 22 miles. Exactly zero safety interventions. I think I tapped the accelerator 3 times and used the turn signal to switch lanes on the interstate once. All of those were strictly personal preference issues; there were no safety concerns what so ever. So yeah, it's total junk. :rolleyes:
In the last 2 days I’ve driven a total of 92 miles on FSD. Early morning, mid afternoon, rush hour, evening. Residential streets, interstates, state highways and trunk roads. Zero interventions beyond things like changing lanes for personal preference. I’ve actually found little need to hit the accelerator since updating to 14.9, too.

Like others on 24.3.25, I got pushed to 24.14.9 today. 2023 MYP. I had checked twice for new updates and burned my daily check. Then a few hours later I got a notification on my phone of an update.

I did a quick FSD test run, and of course that is the same. However, Auto Park is significantly faster now, and very usable. About like an average human.

I tried the full screen visualization during FSD, and I'm not sure I like it. For one thing, my radio controls/odometer/tire pressure bad can't be turned off? (Looking into that.)

I much prefer the new turn signal indicators as I can finally tell which direction they are pointing. (Seriously, I was really waiting on this one.)

Saw a new menu layout (Bluetooth, etc.)

Now I have to update the firmware in my S3XY Commander.

Well, I was stuck on 2024.3.25, and I was falling under the spell of @gottagofast and his misplaced fantasies, that I was being held back for a special-operations FSD mission, based on my Tier 1 qualifications. I was keeping my windshield clean and my go-bag ready for quick mission deployment.

But then reality set in - it's downloading now. So it turns out I was just another aging grunt. Nearly forgotten and now doing sweep-up duty behind that last circus elephant as the music dies and the parade exits the 3.25 ring.

Despite this insult, I remain steadfastly committed to the next mission.

Well, I was stuck on 2024.3.25, and I was falling under the spell of @gottagofast and his misplaced fantasies, that I was being held back for a special-operations FSD mission, based on my Tier 1 qualifications. I was keeping my windshield clean and my go-bag ready for quick mission deployment.

But then reality set in - it's downloading now. So it turns out I was just another aging grunt. Nearly forgotten and now doing sweep-up duty behind that last circus elephant as the music dies and the parade exits the 3.25 ring.

Despite this insult, I remain steadfastly committed to the next mission.
You could right Chuck Lorre vanity cards

Anyone else getting “one or more side cameras occluded” message when driving at night? Had this for 14 miles just now. Clean car, clear night. HW4 car here.
Um. Recently had a 2021 MY develop a case of water droplets in the left fender camera. Replaced by a mobile tech under warranty.

Second: with exactly the correct angle to the left or right by the sun, one can get a message like that. Not recently, but it’s happened. On a straight east-west interstate, heading west on a clear day.

Third: in the service menu, there’s a way to see views on all the cameras on the car, including the left & right pillar cameras, the three up front (wide, regular, narrow), and the inside view. See if any look bad?

There’s been occasional reports around here about thin layers of scum that flare in bright light on the front cameras, fixed by getting the camera housing off, then cleaning the inside of the windshield with some Really Aggressive cleaner. Something similar about the left &,right pillar cameras and water, too.

Good luck?