Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how they are going to administrate any recalls to retrofit our cars with adequate hardware. Hope anyone can ask in the investors call.
Depends alot on what HW they need to replace. If its just APE, yeah maybe theyll do that. But if the 2.5 continental radar, the new gen3 power steering ECU, the new backup camera wiring connections and/or the the e-fuse for some reason is a prerequisite... Well my bet is you’re screwed

Depends alot on what HW they need to replace. If its just APE, yeah maybe theyll do that. But if the 2.5 continental radar, the new gen3 power steering ECU, the new backup camera wiring connections and/or the the e-fuse for some reason is a prerequisite... Well my bet is you’re screwed
Well, they have sold a feature. If we don't get that feature because someone screwed up, then I expect Tesla to fix the hardware so that the feature can be delivered.

Well, they have sold a feature. If we don't get that feature because someone screwed up, then I expect Tesla to fix the hardware so that the feature can be delivered.
Yepp. Fortunately us Norwegians also have a consumer law to protect us from crap, backing up end users like me.

Marketing with small text, or with text formulated so that it clearly can be misunderstood is simply not allowed. Tesla would never win because they put some small clausule in the contract around here.

One example is a mobile service company that marketed its product with "just as good, only cheaper". They had to change their marketing to "just as good, only cheap" because they couldn't document that they actually were cheapest for every single way to use the product. Thus misleading advertisement. When that is not allowed, I'd like to see Tesla get away with half a page of promised FSD features when buying a Tesla because they didn't pick the right hardware.

It is hard to believe Tesla would not do something for those that purchased this feature on a 3 year LEASE. Especially if transferring to a new Tesla. And I still believe those that purchased FSD will get a FREE Hardware Upgrade (if needed) or a refund. Those that did not buy FSD may NOT get it for the extra $1,000 if there is a large hardware upgrade.

It is hard to believe Tesla would not do something for those that purchased this feature on a 3 year LEASE. Especially if transferring to a new Tesla. And I still believe those that purchased FSD will get a FREE Hardware Upgrade (if needed) or a refund. Those that did not buy FSD may NOT get it for the extra $1,000 if there is a large hardware upgrade.

As the days go on, I strongly suspect that the aftermarket activation price for FSD will be substantially higher compared to the $1000 price delta today, once FSD starts delivering features. Especially if it requires hardware retrofit.

Reactions: ChrML and croman
Yepp. Fortunately us Norwegians also have a consumer law to protect us from crap, backing up end users like me.

Marketing with small text, or with text formulated so that it clearly can be misunderstood is simply not allowed. Tesla would never win because they put some small clausule in the contract around here.

One example is a mobile service company that marketed its product with "just as good, only cheaper". They had to change their marketing to "just as good, only cheap" because they couldn't document that they actually were cheapest for every single way to use the product. Thus misleading advertisement. When that is not allowed, I'd like to see Tesla get away with half a page of promised FSD features when buying a Tesla because they didn't pick the right hardware.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-05 um 19.49.30.png

I don't speak Norwegian, but it probably means:
Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-05 um 19.48.40.png

So this is pretty clear here, you will get it, but you can't claim when. Not sure if you can make a case here, just because you didn't get it within the 7 years you owned the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
View attachment 278246
View attachment 278247
So this is pretty clear here, you will get it, but you can't claim when. Not sure if you can make a case here, just because you didn't get it within the 7 years you owned the car.
I agree that a timeframe is never promised. But a gradual progress is to be expected, and that the feature will eventually be as promised. If it turns out that the promised feature cannot be achieved using the hardware, then the customer can expect that it will be retrofitted. Customer bought the feature, not the hardware, and should not be expected to know what hardware is required.

View attachment 278246
View attachment 278247

With that said, many jurisdictions have laws against "indefinitely preorders", even Tesla's home state of California. Just because Tesla puts some fine print on the ordering page does not mean that the terms and conditions are binding irrespective of regulations.

Reactions: croman
As the days go on, I strongly suspect that the aftermarket activation price for FSD will be substantially higher compared to the $1000 price delta today, once FSD starts delivering features. Especially if it requires hardware retrofit.
I strongly believe so too. Retrofit customers will have to pay for the extra hardware as well as the additional engineering hours due to the delays.

But I don't believe that Tesla will remove the ability to retrofit FSD for those who did not buy it. If they did, marketing the car as having Fully Autonomous Hardware would be faulty. People could say that they bought the car only because it will be autonomous in the future and was sold with FSD retrofit option. On the other hand, they can make retrofit very expensive ...

I think they only thing Tesla signed up to retrofit us for is if we need a new APE, though's of us that bought early based on the video, I suspect are fairly well screwed. We're just waiting for Tesla to insert the rod.
Is APE the onboard computers?

He said if regulators require a level of safety unachievable by current hardware, the company will replace onboard computers for those who have already purchased the Full Self Driving option.

“I’m certain our hardware strategy is better than any other option,” Musk said.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/11/02/tesla-says-autopilot-hardware-news-coming-soon/

View attachment 278246
View attachment 278247

By the way, the Tesla network news were not released in 2017, even though it said "next year" in 2016 too in that disclaimer.

What happened to that?

Tesla Network - details of which will be released in 2017

I guess we better get the timeframe from them on wednesday before me and @ChrML need a talk about contacting the P85D law firm.
We seem to have the same interpretation of the marketing laws here.
And I am sorry to say, when I see how poorly AP2 works now in the winter, (when snowing etc), I believe FSD on AP2 is a lost case. Hope not.
I might've missed out on something. Will there an announcement from Tesla on Wednesday about AP?