Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny story re: red light racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're first at a stop light and then accelerate to 45MPH in two seconds after the light turns green, I think most LEOs will define that as "exhibition of speed". If you doubt that, try it next time a policeman is next to you at a light.

edit: Just FYI in case you think I'm a straight-arrow type... once I got two speeding tickets on the same day. A return trip from L.A. on US101 where I was probably 10-15MPH over the limit in both cases. That's actually my one driving flaw; I tend to be at least 10 over whatever the limit is when I drive on the highway. In street driving, it's probably more like 5MPH over but I did get tagged for being 10 over a 35MPH limit a few months after getting my 3. On top of that, the officer gave me a fix-it ticket for a missing front plate (required in CA).
I have done exactly that. My previous car was an SS Camaro - fast. Not Tesla fast, but plenty fast. I would beg a police officer to give me a ticket for "acceleration" within the speed limit. The judge would laugh him out of the court room.

And less *you* think I am some kind of reckless danger to all mankind, I haven't had a speeding ticket in 20 years. Driving fast within the speed limit is what I do, and no one gets tickets for that - at least in Utah.

This morning on the way into work, I pull up to the red light first in line, and next to me is a GLC AMG 63 V8 Biturbo popping and crackling and loaded for bear. Light turns green and I proceed normally in my new LR3 - and normal for me is a little quick but nothing near full throttle (do we still call it that?). Anyways, the Benz decides this is the SLC Summer Nationals and is giving it everything he's got - engine roaring and crackling. Except he doesn't catch me, and the light on the next block turns red and we're right back where we were. Next time the light turns green, I give him a closer view of what the LR can do, and try as he may he can't close the gap.

A few blocks down the road, and yet another red (my drive to work is so fun!) a Hyundai pulls up next to me and gestures me to roll down the window. She says "did that Mercedes try racing you?". I nod. She says: "even I know that's stupid".

I love my new car.
Wait, is your LR M3 boosted? A regular LR M3 shouldn't be able to beat a GLC AMG 63... Non-boosted LR M3 o-60 is like 4.4 while the GLC AMG 63 is listed at 3.7 and if true, even a boosted LR M3 may have trouble with that.

Any and all ICE "0-60" times always assume a perfect launch, in whatever mode those cars have to be in to get those times. Just because an ICE has a time listed that fast does not mean a regular driver can do it on demand, without going through a few steps to put the car in a launch mode, turn off traction controls, etc etc.

Unlike a tesla, where one can just "press the pedal to the floor".

On the other topic of exhibition of speed, there are two different discussions happening on that topic, but in general, "accelerating quickly to the speed limit" would not be characterized as "reckless" by most regular drivers (law enforcement may be another story, though).

When I saw this thread title, I wondered how long it would be before it devolved into someone complaining about street racing or what not, and others defending "having a little fun. I even had a little inside bet with myself. I said to myself "I bet someone tries to turn this thread into some sort of referendum on street racing, or calls "stoplight to stoplight" street racing, within 10 posts". It happened by post #9, so I wasnt that far off.

Any and all ICE "0-60" times always assume a perfect launch, in whatever mode those cars have to be in to get those times. Just because an ICE has a time listed that fast does not mean a regular driver can do it on demand, without going through a few steps to put the car in a launch mode, turn off traction controls, etc etc.

Isn't this literally the exact same as Teslas? I don't drive a Model 3 but the Model S Perf definitely has launch mode and all that too. Sorry, I'm not seeing how a LR Model 3 can spank a car that's an entire second faster 0-60. Maybe the AMG driver had something wedged under his gas pedal and couldn't go faster.

Isn't this literally the exact same as Teslas? I don't drive a Model 3 but the Model S Perf definitely has launch mode and all that too. Sorry, I'm not seeing how a LR Model 3 can spank a car that's an entire second faster 0-60. Maybe the AMG driver had something wedged under his gas pedal and couldn't go faster.

No, there is no launch mode in a model 3. You get all the power the car can deliver at that point simply by pressing the pedal, with no other setup / settings, etc. Its highly unlikely the GLC goes under 4 seconds without activating any of that stuff. Its not that hard to see, actually. A LR model 3 is around 4 seconds without any settings, and that car is the same, with all the settings.

Another consideration is the immediate torque that EVs deliver from a stop. It’s deadly against an ICE vehicle that has to go through a whole series of drivetrain processes to even get the wheels started. An ICE car listed as the same as — or even a couple 10ths of a second faster than — an EV will get dusted, all other things being equal.

Reactions: TBrownTX
This morning on the way into work, I pull up to the red light first in line, and next to me is a GLC AMG 63 V8 Biturbo popping and crackling and loaded for bear. Light turns green and I proceed normally in my new LR3 - and normal for me is a little quick but nothing near full throttle (do we still call it that?). Anyways, the Benz decides this is the SLC Summer Nationals and is giving it everything he's got - engine roaring and crackling. Except he doesn't catch me, and the light on the next block turns red and we're right back where we were. Next time the light turns green, I give him a closer view of what the LR can do, and try as he may he can't close the gap.

A few blocks down the road, and yet another red (my drive to work is so fun!) a Hyundai pulls up next to me and gestures me to roll down the window. She says "did that Mercedes try racing you?". I nod. She says: "even I know that's stupid".

I love my new car.
I too had a similar story. A Merc GLC 63 but it was a highway thing. Me driving along at about 70, drives past the Merc, then I hear his engine rev up, so I step on it. It was not able to pass me before we both slowed down.

If you're first at a stop light and then accelerate to 45MPH in two seconds after the light turns green, I think most LEOs will define that as "exhibition of speed". If you doubt that, try it next time a policeman is next to you at a light.

Yep.

I've been driving for almost 4 decades, I've had multiple 500-800HP street cars (some when I was very young), and I've worked pretty extensively with law enforcement, so I'll just leave that as representation of my expertise on the matter :)

Again, I'm not denouncing it, I'm saying, you can get a ticket for it, and it's more subjective that you (the general "you") think. Carry on :D

Last edited:
No, there is no launch mode in a model 3. You get all the power the car can deliver at that point simply by pressing the pedal, with no other setup / settings, etc. Its highly unlikely the GLC goes under 4 seconds without activating any of that stuff. Its not that hard to see, actually. A LR model 3 is around 4 seconds without any settings, and that car is the same, with all the settings.

Yeah, there's a ton of things happening in an ICE vehicle to get power to the ground, and particularly from a dead-dig, a few of those are rarely at their optimum state. You need traction, high and immediate TQ that's delivered at low RPM, but also in a way that doesn't compromise the traction. That's what makes the Tesla so quick, it does that by design, over and over, without introducing any driver error - and with less mechanical drivetrain losses, no requirement to shift, etc.

Reactions: akenham and Apone
You'll find that the Tesla beats many cars on the street, that are in theory faster than it, simply because it doesn't need launch control to utilize the speed. If you want an indication of real world speed, look at the 5-60mph times in magazine tests. Its much more indicative of real world speeds. For example, an M3 will typically do 0-60 in about 3.8s while the 5-60 is about 4.5s. A M3P will get 0-60 in about 3.1s and the 5-60 will be about 3.3s

Reactions: TBrownTX
Yep.

I've been driving for almost 4 decades, I've had multiple 500-800HP street cars (some when I was very young), and I've worked pretty extensively with law enforcement, so I'll just leave that as representation of my expertise on the matter :)

Again, I'm not denouncing it, I'm saying, you can get a ticket for it, and it's more subjective that you (the general "you") think. Carry on :D

FWIW, I agree with this 100%, I just didnt say it quite as well as you did in my post. Its my position that "the general public" would not consider going from 0-45 as "street racing" per se, but law enforcement is another matter, and may or may not, and its subjective.

Like, if its a lowered sporty vehicle with blacked out window tint, law enforcement is going to look at that differently than a suburban with a family in it, even if both are "accelerating from 0-speed limit quickly".

Reactions: TexasTezla
I always do that when I am at a light next to cops(or anyone for that matter). What are they going to tell the judge?
Cop: Your Honor he went kind of quick for a couple seconds when the light turned green.
Judge: Oh no! How fast was he going?
Cop: He topped out at 45.
Judge: What was the speed limit?
Cop: 45.
Judge: Were his tires squealing or spinning out dangerously?
Cop: No...
Judge: His engine was super loud?
Judge: So someone was hurt?
Judge: ...
Cop: I just felt deep down in my heart he was going too fast so I cited him for it!

I always do that when I am at a light next to cops(or anyone for that matter). What are they going to tell the judge?
Cop: Your Honor he went kind of quick for a couple seconds when the light turned green.
Judge: Oh no! How fast was he going?
Cop: He topped out at 45.
Judge: What was the speed limit?
Cop: 45.
Judge: Were his tires squealing or spinning out dangerously?
Judge: His engine was super loud?
Judge: So someone was hurt?
Judge: ...
Cop: I just felt deep down in my heart he was going too fast so I cited him for it!

"His engine was super loud?"

I bet that was the primary reason for anti-acceleration laws. It's not about accelleration, it's about noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.