Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of FSD after "traffic light & stop sign response" release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't wait to see how Tesla will work with at a major intersection that has 5 "points", where it is not just Straight, Left and Right, but Straight, Left, Right and "slightly right/left"

Google Maps

I used to live near this intersection. So notorious that the area is named after it "Seven Corners"
Google Maps

It's such a bad intersection, I would actually drive a few miles out of my way to avoid driving through it. I imagine at a certain point Tesla might start identifying difficult intersections and deliberately routing around them.

Additionally, some more informative tweets from Elon. Elon Musk on Twitter

Third row: "can you add a section in the odometer to show how many miles the car has driven on autopilot"

Elon: "Ok"

Third row: "Elon, a bunch of tesla drivers outside california complain to me that some of the speed limits / map data on exit lanes etc aren’t always accurate and it’s a pain in the ass for them works well here in CA, plans to improve map data or read speed limit signs?"

If I had to guess, I'd say they are waiting on the rewrite for sign reading. Elon is saying it will be orders of magnitude better at labeling, so it stands to reason it will make sign reading that much easier. They also have a tendency to not work on things until they have to, well 'no right turn on red' probably means they have to have sign reading for intersections.

Elon: "Yes, this is a high priority"

Everyday Astronaut: "Why can’t the camera read the speed limit signs? Is it because of the patent from mobile eye? It seems like that’s not a very novel thing and wise for the future of self driving cars"

Elon: "Coming soon"

Reactions: frnkblk
Here's the text of the patent Claim #1:
Not particularly specific. This is the goal of patent attorneys, to get as broad coverage as possible.
To infringe, one must implement all of the claims. You’re right that it is written to be as broad as possible, but prior art and other patents create a minefield that must be navigated. This results in a set of claims that, taken as a whole, form the patent. So Tesla would need to read the speed signs via all of the elements of the patent.

I used to live near this intersection. So notorious that the area is named after it "Seven Corners"
Google Maps

It's such a bad intersection, I would actually drive a few miles out of my way to avoid driving through it. I imagine at a certain point Tesla might start identifying difficult intersections and deliberately routing around them.

What a s**th hole!!! That intersection in need of total makeover

Reactions: APotatoGod
Google Maps

This is something I wish Navigation could learn on a car by car basis. Every commute home navigation recommends a route 1/3 mile less distance from home but takes you to a stop sign and turn in an incredibly busy road. The other way 1/3 mile further has a traffic light ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: willow_hiller
To infringe, one must implement all of the claims. You’re right that it is written to be as broad as possible, but prior art and other patents create a minefield that must be navigated. This results in a set of claims that, taken as a whole, form the patent. So Tesla would need to read the speed signs via all of the elements of the patent.

That is patently incorrect (hah!). You just need to infringe on one or more claims in a patent to be liable for infringement. You do need to implement all parts of a specific claim, though. Definitely not all claims of a patent. The MobilEye patents has 12 claims, Most of them are dependent claims on Claim 1 (or dependent on dependent claims on Claim 1), which is the main sign reading claim. Claim 1 consists of 3 steps, which would all need to be implemented in order to infringe Claim 1.

Our patent attorneys are always trying to get in as many claims as possible to be as broad as possible. If infringement required every claim to be implemented, they would want fewer claims, as it would be easier to not do 1 claim for the possible infringer.

That said, I noticed something on the MobilEye patent. Within the claims (claims 8 & 9) , all mention of detecting speed limit signs are of circular speed limit signs. In the US, they tend to be rectangular. Maybe there's another patent I didn't see that covers rectangular signs.

Reactions: DanCar
It will be interesting to see what is in 20.24 which I guess will be the last release of Q2.

I'm really looking forward to this. I drive 10 minutes on a surface street to get to the freeway, and it's incorrectly annotated as 35 mph, when the posted sign is 40 mph. Add that everybody drives at 50 mph, and I can't do the beta stop light AutoPilot (at least with AutoSteer) function, as it limits me to 35 mph, 15 mph below everyone else.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller