Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FW 8.1 AP2 no nags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's there...I tested it several times. First nag seems to come in after 1:05, and it's just visual. Second is at 1:15: with an audible nag, and finally at 1:30 it cuts of you off for the rest of the drive. I don't find it an issue at all.

It does give you several audible warnings? Are those not working for you?
It gives you two audible warnings... The third audible is when it locks out AS for the rest of that drive.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, I would like the option to choose from visual / audible / visual & audible. I would always have an audible tone. When I'm watching out the windshield, I don't always notice the subtle glow on the IC.

Reactions: croman
Not sure I get what you're saying. If you're looking out the windshield...then you should hear the first audible alert. If you don't hear the first, you should hear the second. What extra are you looking for it to do?

I think he is saying that the very first alert is not audible at all, it is just the display flashing a white ring. It would be good if you could make that one audible as well.

Personally I have only ever seen a nag like 3 times ever (but never got an audible warning as I grabbed the wheel based on the first visual nag), and each of those times I was purposefully trying to get it to nag me to see what it looked like and how long it would take to come on. It isn't really much of an issue to keep your hand on the wheel. It feels weird not to have it on the wheel.

Not sure I get what you're saying. If you're looking out the windshield...then you should hear the first audible alert. If you don't hear the first, you should hear the second. What extra are you looking for it to do?
Yes, I hear the audible alert, and I apply further pressure on the wheel so it knows my hand is still there, but when it gives you the audible alert, that is a strike against you. On the 3rd strike, you lose AP for the remainder of your trip. I can (and do) travel over 220 miles per stretch on pretty straight flat roads. It's fairly easy for it to miss your hand resting there if it's not moving the wheel a ton. I may miss the visual cue once every 50 miles or so, which then locks me out for the remainder 70 miles or so. I've mentioned before in other threads that I'm okay with the 3 strikes rule, but it should be something like 3 strikes within a 50 mile stretch or even a 100 mile stretch. That way if you miss the visual cue once every 25 miles or 50 miles or whatever, you can continue to use AP.

I tested the nag today (highway speeds; moderate traffic). The interval is much longer than previously, but it still nags eventually. Even the tiniest resistance on the steering wheel avoids the nag entirely. Just resting my hand on the wheel lightly is good enough. I hope the algorithm is a bit more subtle to require a genuine acknowledgement from the driver every now and then as a defense against falling asleep on long trips.

What do you mean, what have you seen that's wrong with it?

It's basically like being in Mr. Toad's Wild ride. You know it's safe but it's a bit uncomfortable overall.

That plus it hugs left and right in freeway corners or segments of freeway that have tight lanes or sharp turns. It's driven out of lane on 5-6 occasions.

Both of those are expected and I've taken over when I see a sketchy bit of freeway but I can't help but try and see how it will perform. It's very impressive for a version 1 release. I expect many iterations of improved safety are going to quickly bring this up to AP1 parity!

Reactions: sdorn and croman