Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Tesla will sell any Standard's before weekly production rate reaches 10,000. There is too much demand for highly profitable variants.

I think it's important for the public perception of TSLA to start shipping SR in 2018 no matter what. It's also very likely to happen sometime between September and December, according to EM's tweet here.

The key is: The quantity of SR shipped wouldn't really matter. Tesla could cap the production rate at <100 SRs per week for the first few months and still (rightfully) claim it as "being available now".

More Elon tweeting news,

"Exactly! Will probably unveil next gen Supercharger late summer. Major improvements all round."

Elon Musk on Twitter

and a response to various attempts to spin Performance Model 3 info released last night as a loss of credibility about the Model 3 being a mass market car, (softly implies SR vehicle might be out sooner than early 2019)

"With production, 1st you need achieve target rate & then smooth out flow to achieve target cost. Shipping min cost Model 3 right away wd cause Tesla to lose money & die. Need 3 to 6 months after 5k/wk to ship $35k Tesla & live."

Elon Musk on Twitter

The fact he would even have to explain that to anyone tells you all you need to know about people in general - take your pick; ignorant, self-serving, or disingenuous.

Wait for it....Elon Musk says Tesla losing money on every Model 3 and will soon die.

I think it's important for the public perception of TSLA to start shipping SR in 2018 no matter what. It's also very likely to happen sometime between September and December, according to EM's tweet here.

The key is: The quantity of SR shipped wouldn't really matter. Tesla could cap the production rate at <100 SRs per week for the first few months and still (rightfully) claim it as "being available now".

I'm pretty happy with the public/customer perception of Tesla. Tesla's brand value challenges that of Apple, if not better. I don't think bulls care about *public/investor* perception, and I don't think Elon cares much either. The high short interest will work itself out in 2H18/1H19.

Note that Elon says "3 to 6 months" in the tweet you referenced. I'll let others explain the meaning of that phrase :) Welcome to TSLA.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with the public/customer perception of Tesla. Tesla's brand value challenges that of Apple, if not better. I don't think bulls care about *public/investor* perception, and I don't think Elon cares much either. The high short interest will work itself out in 2H18/1H19.

But wouldn't you agree that shipping a super small quantity of SR (something like 100 / week) would be a rather cheap image boost that wouldn't really hurt anyone?

Note that Elon says "3 to 6 months" in the tweet you referenced. I'll let others explain the meaning of that phrase :) Welcome to TSLA.

Haha, no explanation needed! I like to imagine that "3 months" is what he actually wanted to say (Elon time) and "6 months" already is the adjusted, actual time :D

Tesla Model 3 Falls Short of a CR Recommendation

They reported the braking distance being very poor, and didn't care much for the controls all being on the screen. Range was awesome though at 350 on standard regen.

Emergency Braking distance was heavily the focus of their criticism, comprising the first 13 paragraphs on specifics about the car.

The number in their testing does look concerning compared to other vehicles. It comes across as not just, "okay, every reviewer finds an issue with one thing or another" but, rather, something that will be a focus until Tesla has a convincing answer. CR described the results for the Model 3 as "far worse than any contemporary car we’ve tested." They reported 152 feet for the 3 vs. 132, 136, and 135 in their testing of the BMW 3 series, Mercedes C Class and Audi A4. Tesla told CR that in their own testing of the 3, the average result was 133 feet with the same tires as CR used in their testing. Interestingly, CR says their first run of this test did have a 130 feet braking distance, but, on average the distance was 152 feet. CR got a second car from a private owner to confirm their results, which they report the second car as doing.

On CR's website I noticed something else somewhat unexpected about these results. They do a wet and dry version of this test. The Model 3 had a 1 foot variance between wet and dry (all the numbers in the paragraph above are for the dry test). The BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, had differences of 7, 8, and 10 feet between the dry and wet tests.

Finally, CR mentioned that they had discussed this with the Testing Director at Car and Driver, who reported in their own testing they saw wide variability in this emergency braking for the Model 3, including this comment “and in 11 years, no car has stood out with inconsistent braking like this. Some trucks have. . . . It was just weird.”

CR only mentioned Car and Driver. Wonder if they reached out to other's who've tested the car. Motor Trend reports 119 feet 60-0 braking. Edmunds got 133 feet on the 18" wheels, 128 on the 19".

Hard to know what is going on, but, I think we will hear quite a bit from Tesla.

Last edited:
the poor brakes and center screen should go very well together

all kidding aside, everyone should really be careful out there, this product is dangerous
Your last sentence got cut off. Here's the rest of it - "this product is dangerous...for ICE vehicle manufacturers."
I'm sure Tesla will take care of any brake issue quickly. Although not for everyone, including evidently CR, the center screen is a HUGE draw for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.