Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting, current Michigan law prevents Tesla owning a service center for owner's vehicles.
However, they can work on Tesla owned vehicles (new or CPO).
Section 445.1574 Sec 14
(1) A manufacturer shall not do any of the following:
(q) Own a motor vehicle service and repair facility, except that a manufacturer may own a service and repair facility for the repair of manufacturer-owned vehicles.

Perhaps the current law suit against the state is going well?

Interesting, current Michigan law prevents Tesla owning a service center for owner's vehicles.
However, they can work on Tesla owned vehicles (new or CPO).
Section 445.1574 Sec 14

Perhaps the current law suit against the state is going well?

Could just be that Tesla is confident in winning it's battle in court and would initially do as you suggest and confine work to CPO and Tesla owned loaners. While at the same time begining preparation for normal operations in the not too distant future.

Reactions: mongo
What do you do today? You slow down. Full autonomy wasn’t promised at normal daylight speeds in all conditions. The cars will have to drive slower. When forward facing LIDAR is $100 a sensor, then they can add that as a new sensor input, but until then the cars can simply go slower.
Absolutely! I was doing less than 50 kph for parts of the way in the dark, fog and around freezing temps, on a major road through forest. Fortunately very little other traffic and the few drivers out were probably seasoned locals, driving cautiosly. The only "wild life" I saw was two women walking with reflective hi-viz vests and flashlights between houses in a village. (Apart from the many elves, that is ;) )

My point is that LIDAR is as helpless as cameras or humans in bad visibility. More help is always welcome. IR is probably not much better in such conditions.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Could just be that Tesla is confident in winning it's battle in court and would initially do as you suggest and confine work to CPO and Tesla owned loaners. While at the same time begining preparation for normal operations in the not too distant future.

Agreed. Based on layout and street view, this will also be a showroom/ gallery. (Drive through door added to access single story front area turned into open floor plan). May need to get rezoned light industrial vs industrial office, but that should be minor (and may be allowed already). Currently zoned for EV charging also.

Edit:"Skating to where the puck will be" seems an apt phase at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and skitown
What is amazing is that GM found 23,297 people willing to be seen in public in that UGLY eco-box....
IMO GM's ability to make a $40K EV at low volume at (my guess) breakeven or better profitability should not be discounted. It's one key skill that may allow them to remain a competitor to Tesla just yet.

What is amazing is that GM found 23,297 people willing to be seen in public in that UGLY eco-box....

Here, I fixed it for you:
Expensive Fugly eco-box.

But seriously, it shows the demand for EVs at that price point regardless of how bad they look. Rumor is that it drives very well and people love the one peddle simplicity. Its a very good car at $25k, but over priced at $30K after incentives.

Here, I fixed it for you:
Expensive Fugly eco-box.

But seriously, it shows the demand for EVs at that price point regardless of how bad they look. Rumor is that it drives very well and people love the one peddle simplicity. Its a very good car at $25k, but over priced at $30K after incentives.

If priced well, the Bolt would sell *a lot* in Europe (unfortunately, they don't: the Ampera is not available in a lot of countries). Remember that people have different tastes/cultures ;-)
In China, they are selling EVs like that by the tens of thousand.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
InsideEVs numbers would result in Model-S and Model-X taken places 1 and 3 on the FY 2017 US deliveries.
Total of these 48.375
Quite amazing numbers.

(specially for cars with max 20k/ year max. possible worldwide sales and a car that is impossible to build, are you reading this Mr Lutz ?).

Add Model -3 and you are over 50.000 cars in US delivered this year.
Looking at the numbers so far Europe total should be possible to get over 28k.

That would make total global of 78k plus Asia and Canada.
First 3 Q Asia was 12k
First 3 Q Canada was 2.500

100k should be possible, but tight.

Edit, corrected initial post, had Canadian number wrong, sorry :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ChrisA
IMO GM's ability to make a $40K EV at low volume at (my guess) breakeven or better profitability should not be discounted. It's one key skill that may allow them to remain a competitor to Tesla just yet.

I think we have pretty strong evidence by now that GM cannot currently make a $40k EV at breakeven or better probability. The bolt appears to sell at a ~$10000 loss per vehicle.

The first such claims were widely reported in Nov 2016 (e.g. GM stands to lose $9,000 per car on Chevy Bolt)

More recently similar claims were repeated after PSA bought Opel (GM's former Eurpoean subsidiary) and then demanded compensation from GM for a portion of the purchase price after they found out that GM's emissions compliance strategy relied on selling the Bolt (called the Ampera-e in Europe) at a huge loss. (see Exclusive - PSA seeks Opel refund from GM over CO2 emissions)

Although these specific numerical claims rely on anonymous sources, they come from respected news outlets and they are completely consistent with the production numbers, which are just enough to obtain regulatory compliance and no more. This is why Elon was able to predict the Bolt's US sales so accurately.

It also makes sense that the Bolt is more expensive to build than the Model 3, because the battery is bigger (base model), and the economies of scale are less (for both the battery and the rest of the car).

Last edited:
Aside: my wife doesn't like hunting for sport. Her compromise idea is to allow hunting with paintball guns. Win-win.
Shooting moose with paintball guns means lots of dead people with paintball guns. Lol.
Edit: Moose can be dangerous, so making them angry is certainly dangerous.

Mod: last posting about shooting paintball mooses, at least in this thread. --ggr.
My sister once married a moose! No, really! -- Monty Python.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting on ir.tesla.com -- assume this means they are still pulling numbers together. Mad rush of sales on up to 12/31, they are probably checking post-it notes now. Guessing this means later today may not happen.

Q4 2017 Reporting Date: Please stay tuned as date has not yet been set
No, they're referring to the quarterly financial report, which I expect to be Feb 7 (first Wednesday in the second month of the quarter). I'm pretty sure they'll announce deliveries after the bell today.

Apparently a new page on Tesla's website to attract applicants for GF jobs. I don't know exactly when the page went up, but, Tesla and Elon have promoted it via twitter last night and today.

Gigafactory Jobs | Tesla

New advertisement of jobs at the GF could be seen as more circumstantial evidence that the bottleneck is clearing.

Nice to see this on the page as well (not sure if this has been stated so explicitly before),

We began battery cell production at the Gigafactory in early 2017, and by 2018, it will produce 35 GWh/year of lithium-ion battery cells, nearly as much as the rest of the world's entire battery production combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.