Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get a grip people! What all the complainers are missing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people need to actually sit in an M3 and drive it around to figure out what they are actually missing/gaining.

You see 'more of the world' in a Model X. Perhaps the 3 will capture the same type of feeling.

Reactions: Algbc
The only real thing I am complaining about right now is the vents. I am genuinely concerned about that. My wife is petite and thin and always cold. I am large and well insulated and always hot. The way we deal with that is she always closes her vents and I always have one aimed at my face and another aimed at my chest. That keeps me cool and content and she doesn't freeze her butt off.

In the house it is a different story. I can direct fans on me and she throws on a blanket. Kind of silly to compare ventilation in a house to a car because in the car I can't stop where the sun hits while I am driving but in the house I can close windows or move.

Reactions: slipnslider
The only real thing I am complaining about right now is the vents. I am genuinely concerned about that. My wife is petite and thin and always cold. I am large and well insulated and always hot. The way we deal with that is she always closes her vents and I always have one aimed at my face and another aimed at my chest. That keeps me cool and content and she doesn't freeze her butt off.

In the house it is a different story. I can direct fans on me and she throws on a blanket. Kind of silly to compare ventilation in a house to a car because in the car I can't stop where the sun hits while I am driving but in the house I can close windows or move.

Hasn't Elon talked about the need to heat/cool the passenger more directly, rather than the cabin, when dealing with EVs? This would imply air that can be directed exactly where it needs to be. No one can see into the large vent. There are probably fins in there, and the air direction might be controlled via the center screen. Just a guess.

Oh, and I agree with the premise of the OP. The whiny behavior in the forums is getting rediculous (not directed at you, ummgood).

Reactions: WarpedOne
Yeesh! You want to know why Elon feels the need to anti-sell the Model 3? It's because of the delusional personalities that frequent these boards. You guys have built up the model 3 so huge in your minds that he is sure to miss expectations even if he delivered a car with all the features of the current Model S. It's lose lose for him. With expectations among some that the model 3 will be superior in almost all regards, it can't be easy to continue selling the Model S.

Here is what you are missing.
#1. The best affordable EV available for at least the next 3 years. At $35k it is cheaper than the Bolt, i3 and set at a fair premium to the Leaf. At that price point, it will be significantly faster, safer and infinitely better looking. Yes it can and will get more expensive depending on options, but they are either worth the cost or you shouldn't order them.

#2. It was never supposed to beat other entry level cars in old school thoughts of luxury. The Model S doesn't even come close in those regards. It's closer to a Hyundai than a Lexus. The luxury comes from silent, pollution free driving with new luxury features unavailable in other cars. i.e. Control most functions from the display.

#3. Lack of gauges, dials, buttons and air vents is NOT a bad thing. Do you guys decorate your bedrooms like that? Nicest part of the i3 is how relaxing the interior is designed. A HUD would still be appreciated for speed and directions and may end up being available. But it's not a deal breaker.

#4. Finally it's not supposed to be a Model S competitor or replacement. So many people are whining that it won't offer the same space, functionality and premium options of the Model S. Fantastic I say. I waited in line for a 3 series sized Tesla with a reasonable price tag. Yes, I would have preferred a hatchback, but I can appreciate the appeal of more passenger space and comfort. If I were to join the whining, it would be to complain that if anything the car is looking too big!

I've been antisold out of the M3 to a different car. The different car is gonna have

1.) 0-60 in 5.6
2.) Fully BEV
3.) Can charge 185 miles in 25-30 minutes.
4.) Nvidia PX2 Drive Unit with evolving semi-autonomy suite.
5.) Potential for FSDC down the road.
6.) Start at 35k

The moment I find this different car, I'm kicking the M3 reservation to the curb!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you compare a loaded C-class to a Model 3?

Every manufacture has limited design & engineering resources. Mercedes focuses its resources to design and produce automobiles with magnificent interiors with uncompromising fit and finish.

Tesla focuses its resources to design and produce automobiles which cram unimaginable amounts of energy into battery packs which allow those cars to have mind altering accelerations and travel practical distances. They also drive themselves, somewhat.

Some people will suggest Mercedes has been focusing on the wrong things for too long.

I'm comparing my C-Class to the Model 3 because that is the competition, according to the price segment and Elon's "word of God", in the same way that Tesla associates at the retail outlets have told me the Model S is competing with the BMW 7-series and Mercedes S-Class.

A developing suspicion of mine is that the way the car is equipped is more in line with economy cars with the electric premium tacked on.

I'm comparing my C-Class to the Model 3 because that is the competition, according to the price segment and Elon's "word of God", in the same way that Tesla associates at the retail outlets have told me the Model S is competing with the BMW 7-series and Mercedes S-Class.

A developing suspicion of mine is that the way the car is equipped is more in line with economy cars with the electric premium tacked on.
I suspect many people who want exactly a BMW or Mercedez or Audi with electric drive train will indeed be dismayed by how different Tesla is. Personally I like the M3 interior that I've seen so far, I prefer the minimalist look rather than the fake luxury that is common in many non-luxury brands, with their trim pieces and chrome accents sticking out everywhere. But I'm sure Tesla's look will not be to everyone's taste.

Yes, the Benz has a nice interior, but it's not a $35k car either. And you don't even get something that can pass a 4 cylinder Camaro which costs lunch money. 'Hello 1997? Can I have my performance back please?'
The odds of the C300 having similar levels of real world street performance as a Model 3 seems very unlikely. Think bombing of Dresden.

2017 MB C300 sport coupe, $42,650
2.0L turbo inline four - 241 hp / 273 ftlb
Zero to 60 mph: 6.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.7 sec @ 95 mph
EPA Hwy 30 mpg

2017 Camaro economy sport coupe, $26,695
2.0L turbo inline four - 275 hp / 295 ftlb
Zero to 60 mph: 5.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 97 mph
EPA Hwy 30 mpg

2017 Camaro normal sport coupe $37,295
455 horsepower, 455 torque.
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 116 mph

EPA Hwy 27 mpg

So with the Benz C Class, you get luxury price, but a "C-" in the engine bay. Barely passing.

There are lots of cheaper slow cars with nice interiors other than the C Class.

But it does tell you how much that interior costs. About $16,000 over a normal fully equipped power interior.

So should Tesla spend 1/2 the development money of the Model 3 on the interior? BTW, the $42k version of the C300 is the stripped interior. Add $12k for the real interior, or $28,000 total for the better interior.

Last edited:
The only real thing I am complaining about right now is the vents. I am genuinely concerned about that.
I am mystified as to why you think that the 3 will not offer separate controls for air flow on the driver side and the passenger side. Every car can recall in the past 40+ years has had such controls.

The 3 vent controls will likely be on the center display, and you spouse will certainly be able to easily reach out and touch them.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
From the add i saw the other day - "Remember the time when the fridges used to have these ugly and clumbersome handles on the door? Now, we have invented this new innovative fridge that has no ugly handles on the door whatsoever. Instead, we have the whole fridge connected to network and you get this new app that you can now just go to your kitchen, run the app on your mobile or tablet and then go to the 'door functions' -menu and select 'opening functions' and then click the 'open fridge' -button to open the fridge. So clean and handy! And when you need to close the fridge, just click on the same menus and buttons again and the fridge will close the door for you again! So weird that there still are some people who insist to have some mechanism to actually open the door manually themselves!"

From what I have read by now, there is much I could complain about (and I actually have about some things).
But from now on, I will wait until I can finally see for myself what the Model 3 looks/feels like, before making any further judgement.
I know that some things I definitely won't like, as they are not going to change until launch (no HUD for example). But all the other stuff that I am uneasy about right now I will put on hold for a while.

And in any case, I have decided to not purchase the first iteration of the Model 3 anyway, but to lease it (first time I will ever have leased a car). Because that way, I know it will be easy to get rid of should I feel the need for it after a few years, and replace it with something that suits me better - be it a Model 3 version 2.0, or some model from the competition, of which there should be quite a few around by the time my 3-year lease would have ended (2020/2021).

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and Lokolo
I think it's good people do complain or air the not so positive points but not bitch about them.

Feedback is important after all and I learned alot about what people would have wanted or not wanted and have gotten to accept that floating display. At least there will be no big surprises during the final unveiling.

Hoping that the average/median M3 does cost $45k, which kinda informs us that the upgrades/options will not be overpriced.

I have come to not dislike the single center screen with no dash in front of driver.

But that jutting protruding piece of screen in the middle - hideous and cheap looking.

I am afraid that will be M3's FWD moment. How many sales will be lost due to that ugly thing, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pilotSteve
I suspect many people who want exactly a BMW or Mercedez or Audi with electric drive train will indeed be dismayed by how different Tesla is. Personally I like the M3 interior that I've seen so far, I prefer the minimalist look rather than the fake luxury that is common in many non-luxury brands, with their trim pieces and chrome accents sticking out everywhere. But I'm sure Tesla's look will not be to everyone's taste.

Like the M3 dash with the center screen, no need for all the lights buttons and switches, there just distractions, clutter and fluff.
Mounted an iPad in our Outback for a road trip. After 4 months 17K kilometres road trip it just works.
IMG_0260.JPG

6 years ago I paid 35K for my first EV - i Miev , 60 miles of range, 16 kw battery.,
Then spent a bunch of $ to accessories it to my liking.
- No Regrets

The M3 is the same price , 215+ miles / 60kw battery, bigger, safer etc
No Comparison

I have a similar story: I paid $24K (USD) eleven years ago for my first EV: A rattletrap garden-pest-green Zap Xebra that went 35 mph and took half a minute to get there. With the aftermarket battery pack it had a range to empty of 40 miles, but no battery balancing/maintenance. It was a complete P.O.S. and a death trap. (I loved it because it was electric!) I sold it four years later for $5,000 (minus commission) after I got my Tesla. Now (depending on how I feel after a test drive) I can get a Model 3 for $35K with 5-star safety ratings, 215 miles range, freeway capable, etc. Tesla has brought electric transportation into the 21st century.

Maybe that's directly related to the passionate anti-selling the company is doing about the car.

What "passionate" anti-selling? Tesla is not advertising. Elon tweets from time to time "Don't expect the 3 to be an S," and people cry about "anti-selling." Any rational look at what you're getting for $35K, you couldn't anti-sell it if you tried. Sure, it won't be for everybody, and that's fine because they can't build enough of them for everybody. It's far better if people understand what they'll be getting so that the people who really need 24-way adjustable seats and power trunk opener don't buy it. Lost sales due to the center screen? Or the lack of this or that feature? It will be years before the first Model 3 rolls off the assembly line without a buyer's name already on it.

The only reason I might pass on it (depending on my test drive) is because for me the alternative is to stick with the Tesla I'm already driving. If I was not driving an EV today, there'd be no question at all for me.

Reactions: GSP and Runt8