Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get some Sense... [sense monitoring solution]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The good news, it found mind. Bad news, it's not tracking correctly. (yet)?
Under device detection, its only about 90% processed.

Per Sense:
Hi,

We released an update on Friday for 240V Teslas from 2015 and prior. It won't matter if you charge at 35 vs 40 amps. If you receive a device in the next few days, please let me know along with how accurately Sense detects your usage.

Cheers,
Matt

MattAtSense

1h
25.png
russellgalbert
Hi,

We're currently working on devices for the newest types of Teslas, along with Chevy Volts. I know it is frustrating that Sense hasn't found your electric vehicle yet despite finding other Tesla Model S cars, but we're working on it. I'll let you know when Sense should be finding your Tesla.

Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

• 17439443_10210657558247990_297144022_n.jpg
    17439443_10210657558247990_297144022_n.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 74
I couldn't resist the gadget siren. Ordered yesterday, shipped same day from stock. Will install later tonight/tomorrow.
OK, I'm Sense-ing... Although Mr. Instant Gratification is slightly annoyed that the welcome message says it'll take a week for things to start to appear. :mad:

EDIT - I'm turning the stove on and off to see what the elements draw. I noticed the well pump cycles more often than I would have expected. About to put a load of wash into the dryer.

Last edited:
OK, I'm Sense-ing... Although Mr. Instant Gratification is slightly annoyed that the welcome message says it'll take a week for things to start to appear. :mad:

EDIT - I'm turning the stove on and off to see what the elements draw. I noticed the well pump cycles more often than I would have expected. About to put a load of wash into the dryer.

Good marketing. Sense - it will make you want to do laundry :)

lol a week?! I got mine in November. It found my car... yesterday. 5 months in, I'm up to 20 devices. No TVs (which are used every day). No heat pump water heater, and it's forgotten my house heat pump!
Ha. At a minimum I can switch off circuits, monitor the drop in load, and figure out what my background load is. Stupid Comcast box pulls 50W, 24/7, for instance.

Just like battery companies pay electronic manufacturers to make remotes that draw way more power when idle than necessary.
Ha! I outsmarted them! Low self-discharge NiMH!

My house pulls 133W when everything's idle, so 100kWh/month ($16). Half that seem to be the Comcast DVR (~45W) and the refrigerator (??? ~13W when the doors are closed, lights off, and compressor not running). 5W here, 5W there...

Ha! I outsmarted them! Low self-discharge NiMH!

My house pulls 133W when everything's idle, so 100kWh/month ($16). Half that seem to be the Comcast DVR (~45W) and the refrigerator (??? ~13W when the doors are closed, lights off, and compressor not running). 5W here, 5W there...
DVR, DVD player, washing machines, router, tv, cable box, anything with a digital clock (stove, microwave, etc.), game consoles, steroes, printers, computers, laptops, cell phones, alarm clocks, garage door openers, any IOT devices, etc.

There are soooooooo many things nowadays that draw power. Sure there are some creative ways to tackle it; but I don't think most of them are worth the headaches they cause.

Hey guys. Looking to monitor my power consumption for my entire house after a huge spike since I got my Tesla. I have a regular 200 amp electrical panel but I also have a Generac Generator with a ATS switch that feeds off it for 10 circuits. Will this be a problem? What products should I consider if so?

Well, the sense is easy to hook up and use, but it's a learning gizmo that will take MONTHS+ to learn most of your stuff.

I don't know of any devices really specifically for generator use. (does your power go out a lot?)

I assume you don't really care about power use on said generator?

I am looking at both Sense and Neuiro and trying to figure out which one works better. The 10 circuits that are on my ATS switch are all essential circuits in my home. So the breaker on my regular panel feeds the circuits on my ATS switch. I am a novice when it comes to electricity, so I want to make sure Sense/Neuiro would be able to measure this properly. My guess is, this won't be an issue.

There are soooooooo many things nowadays that draw power. Sure there are some creative ways to tackle it; but I don't think most of them are worth the headaches they cause.
Actually, I was happy it was that low. I can live with ~133W (100kWh/month).

Sense reported finding my refrigerator and well pump this morning at 1am (after 53 hours, although both still show as "Currently Learning"). Two hours later it added my refrigerator light and an unrecognized heater and motor. Under "up next" it shows "possible microwave"

I wonder how it differentiates between the bulb in the fridge and any others (like the oven) - I can't fake it out.

I am looking at both Sense and Neuiro and trying to figure out which one works better. The 10 circuits that are on my ATS switch are all essential circuits in my home. So the breaker on my regular panel feeds the circuits on my ATS switch. I am a novice when it comes to electricity, so I want to make sure Sense/Neuiro would be able to measure this properly. My guess is, this won't be an issue.
The current transformers snap around the feed coming into your main breaker and measure all power coming into the panel.

If the ATS switches the mains between the utility or generator, Sense would measure power used from either (assuming it doesn't have a problem with dirty generator power). If it's switching individual circuits after the individual breaker, Sense wouldn't see the power draw on the generator, but I can't see how the ATS would prevent Sense from measuring that circuit when running on utility power.