Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get some Sense... [sense monitoring solution]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17 devices found.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.PNG
    IMG_0143.PNG
    429.6 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: GJ79 and Max*
Ok, well I was wrong. The unknown wasn't my dishwasher, it was the propane water heater. Fixed.

And, just found a light. The wife's energy sucking Edison bulb thing above our one table. 355 watts.

I realize the dishwasher mistake when I was unloading the dishwasher and it said it had turned on.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.PNG
    IMG_0149.PNG
    438.8 KB · Views: 146
You are very lucky with Sense. I've had mine connected for over 2 month, and so far it only found 5 devices. 4 motors and 1 heat. I identified one motor as my water heater (no idea why it showed up as a motor), but I have no idea what the other 4 items are. It didn't identify a single appliance or light in my house. Tesla is also not identified, even though it's plugged in every night (although that's understandable, since they sent out an email a while back saying that they are looking into EVs). I have 7 mini-splits installed in the house that I use for heating, and not a single one of them shows up either:-(
One thing that I noticed that's causing problems for me is that I have 3 WiFi access points in the house, they are all configured with the same SSID and allow of seamless transition from one Access point to another. Sense randomly disconnects from AP that's roughly 4 feet away from it and connects to the one that's about 50-70 feet away through multiple walls and floors. At which point connection is not good enough for it to work. It takes couple of hours for it to reset itself:-( Support suggested that I rename my SSIDs (which is not going to happen).

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
But with dozens of devices on the line, doesn't that all together end up sounding like the equivalent of "white noise "?

With them all going at once, I don't see how they can id individual devices so well.
As I understand Sense, it's like comprehending a single conversationa in a crowed room with everyone talking. I've had mine only on a garage subpanel and it's slowly getimg better. Tough problem to crack. I applaud Sense Labs efforts so I bought another one today for a vacation house. Fingers crossed......

Still at 17. Car is still at the body shop.

I'd like it to learn my car... that's about 90% why I bought the thing... knowing it can't now certainly aggravates me.

Of all the things I'd like it to know, my car is #1. and that's... about all I really care about. compared to that nothing uses even close to that much power.

I'd like it to learn my car... that's about 90% why I bought the thing... knowing it can't now certainly aggravates me.
A decidedly low-tech way would be to wire an old-school electric meter in line with your EVSE/outlet.

Hialeah Meter
sells refurbished single phase, 200A meters for ~$20 - Single Phase Watt Hour Meters

I bought this digital meter on ebay (item #271437287444) for less than $15 w/shipping that measures current up to 100A, voltage, watts, kWh, and time. I intended to put it in an EVSE I was building, but never did. I'd probably fuse the power leads (not sure I trust no-name cheap offshore parts).

Can you just create a second SSID on the WiFi access point closest to the Sense just for it? (Most access points/routers allow multiple SSIDs now-in-days.)

That's sort of what I did yesterday. I just enabled WiFi on my main router (with a separate SSID) and reconnected Sense to it. Unfortunately, that doesn't help with device identification:-( Sense support said that they are looking into it.

18 devices. However the dryer is now showing as unifentified heat #6. So I'm sure it just needs more time to learn.

Since most learning happens when things turn on/off I'm going to have my car start charging at 10 PM if/when I ever get the damn thing back...

Attachments

• IMG_1374.PNG
    IMG_1374.PNG
    109.1 KB · Views: 129
I've had my Sense installed since 20161219. I've been enjoying it and am fascinated by the learning. Conceptually, I completely understand why they are trying to automatically detect the devices instead of getting hints from users.

I am eager to get my Sense to identify my NEMA 14-50 charging my Tesla. I like that there is a Tesla Model S thread for Sense users in addition to the sense community forums which I just discovered tonight as a result of this forum.

Sense now claims to be able to detect the Model S;

First EV devices!

My detected Devices now found the garbage disposal, but actually went from 18 devices down now 16.

It has not found my S yet. Which may/may not be related to my having to charge at 35 amps, due to PP&L...

They also have a couple caveats on that. First is that it could take up to a week to find, and second is that it still might not find it!

BTW, I've had my Sense about a month now, and it's discovered 19 devices. 7 or 8 of those are correctly identified so far. Wife's not impressed. I think it's kinda cool.

I'm up to 17 devices identified. One of them they identified as a Dryer, but I'm not certain I agree with that yet. We'll see. I have been able to identify all of the unnamed devices so far, which I think is pretty cool. One of them took me 2 weeks to figure out.

Right now, it is misidentifying my pressure cooker as my toaster and it will take time to split those two out, I'm told. I hope it detects my Model S. That is a big chunk of my consumption.