Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 2022.20.8 to 2022.24.5 – radar removal or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hw3 with radar model 3 here, 2022.24.6 added vision only, severe phantom braking event over a crest on a hot sunny day on an empty divided highway. Someone else on the forum described the same phenomenon in detail before. He thought it's the mirage on the road over crests that caused it.

Pretty scary to see the car slam on the brakes full force with emergency collision alert beeping. Tesla vision sucks more than radar for sure, do not recommend.

• Informative
Reactions: Mikecm1
Hw3 with radar model 3 here, 2022.24.6 added vision only, severe phantom braking event over a crest on a hot sunny day on an empty divided highway. Someone else on the forum described the same phenomenon in detail before. He thought it's the mirage on the road over crests that caused it.

Pretty scary to see the car slam on the brakes full force with emergency collision alert beeping. Tesla vision sucks more than radar for sure, do not recommend.
HW3 with radar, Model 3 May/2018 build, added 24.6 two days ago: I’m still getting the same old PB events (TACC) on two lane highways when approaching ascending sweeping right curves with large oncoming traffic approaching.

The cars are good to drive, and you don’t have to use FSD or AP if you don’t like it. Some people like FSD, so why ruin it for them?

the software has been antidriver for a while. just compare v10 vs v11. Tiny fonts, unglanceable fonts, broken usb audio, illegiable speedo. overfocus on FSD and AP computer. Less space for map, no movement towards having music and map at the same time. No collapsable FSD/AP view. Tesla is becoming more and more antidriver. furthermore no evolution of the model 3 -i.e. head up display (with reason than FSD doesnt need a hud or dash)

the software has been antidriver for a while. just compare v10 vs v11. Tiny fonts, unglanceable fonts, broken usb audio, illegiable speedo. overfocus on FSD and AP computer. Less space for map, no movement towards having music and map at the same time. No collapsable FSD/AP view. Tesla is becoming more and more antidriver. furthermore no evolution of the model 3 -i.e. head up display (with reason than FSD doesnt need a hud or dash)
I guess my vision is better than yours, because I don’t have any trouble reading the displays in our Model S or Model 3. But you’re not the only one who’s complained about that.

Can you elaborate on “no movement towards having music and map at the same time”? It has always been possible to have both on the touchscreen at the same time.

Teslas are far from perfect, but the shortcomings don’t bother bother me as much as they bother you and others. Unlike a few years ago, you have other good EV options today, so no reason to stick with a car you’re unhappy with.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Can anybody with a non-AP/TACC Model 3 (one of the early unicorns with glorious 'dumb' cruise control) comment on if the vision-only change has had any impact? Any forced high beams or auto-wipers required to support the automatic emergency braking or lane departure avoidance functions?

I updated to 2022.24.8 over the weekend. I can set TACC to 90 now, although follow distance is still limited to 2.
I don't think Tesla Vision impacts TACC maximum speed, only Autosteer. They were both 90 with radar, but Autosteer is currently 85 without radar.

Doh! I did not realize that TACC and Autosteer had potentially different restrictions . Thank you for pointing that out. I verified this morning that my car with (disabled) radar now has an autosteer limit of 85mph as you said. Now I'm cranky again.

Regarding my 2022.20.9 install that doesn’t appear to have disabled my radar or moved me onto Tesla Vision

Attachments

• FB9B7008-4192-4B92-AE1B-DAF1061597A3.jpeg
    FB9B7008-4192-4B92-AE1B-DAF1061597A3.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 107
  • 8250F234-C291-48B7-B3B1-3B7703CC29D2.jpeg
    8250F234-C291-48B7-B3B1-3B7703CC29D2.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 40
Regarding my 2022.20.9 install that doesn’t appear to have disabled my radar or moved me onto Tesla Vision
When I installed 2022.20.9 in my 2018 Model S (HW3), radar was disabled (I was on 2022.20.8 before then). The release note that mentioned it was about Speed Assist, which you're not showing in your release notes.

As you're in the US, I don't know what the difference is between your 2017 X and my 2018 S, since you've upgraded your hardware to match mine. After updating to 20.9, I received and installed 24.6 and then 24.8.

Per what I have ready so far. It is 2022.24.8 that disables radar. If you install 2022.24.8 and then go to the release notes of 2022.20.9, there is a mention of Tesla vision.

I have 2022.20.9 and I am ignoring the prompt for installing 2.22.24.8 as I do not wanna lose the radar ! It will be interesting to see how long I hold out.

Per what I have ready so far. It is 2022.24.8 that disables radar. If you install 2022.24.8 and then go to the release notes of 2022.20.9, there is a mention of Tesla vision.

I have 2022.20.9 and I am ignoring the prompt for installing 2.22.24.8 as I do not wanna lose the radar ! It will be interesting to see how long I hold out.
I am still on 2020.48.12.1 on my Model 3 (V9), so sometimes they will let you not update for a very long time unless there is really something they want to push.

Reactions: johnking

My radar went away with 20.9 and the original release notes stated it.

It was days later when I went to 24.8

• Informative
Reactions: johnking
Both 2022.20.9 and 2022.24.6 are the first radar-breaking builds (aside from FSD Beta). Not sure why @Benjamin Noah didn’t lose radar when installing 2922.20.9, by all accounts he should have.
Is there a chance I lost the radar before (prior to 20.9) and just didn’t realize? I’m assuming the “1” following distance option means I’m not on Tesla Vision, but I could be wrong.