Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my First Test Drive Today.. Hmmmmmm...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... I HATE to say this or offend anyone, but it felt a little boring.. I remember test driving the 911, and feeling the hair raise on my neck, and my adrenaline flow.. I didn't have that with the model S.. Perhaps the P85 would have suited me more? The problem is, I don't want to spend the money on the P85 car..

My questions is this.. Have others here had similar experiences, and if so, did you overcome it, and how? I'd love to hear about it..

I love everything in theory about the car, even the power delivery.. I just wonder if it's not a fit for me based on my past car loves.. Thoughts?
Sounds like you are shopping for a mid to large-sized sedan, but hoping it handles like a small sports car, which of course isn't in the cards. You will have to determine which is most important before making this purchase. For yours truly, I kept the gasoline sports car for those times that I want to grind up some pavement, but I find the quiet refinement of the S more suitable for most drives. After driving EV's for the past three years, I find the sound and fury of gasoline powered transportation so old school, not to mention the ease of one pedal driving in traffic with EV's. The S is the best sedan out there, but it's no sports car.

I am a car nut. I have owned multiple jeeps (at the same time), as well as Corvettes, RX7's, Ferraris, NSX's, Benzs, Bmw's, and a lot of other cars over the years. I love a lot of things about different cars and when I went to test drive the Model S I really expected it to be a novel experience but more in a "that's different, but not my cup of tea" sort if thing. I could not have been more wrong. I hardly drive anything except the Model s now and have sold 3 cars with the other 5 literally collecting dust. I still love the lines of the Split Window, the sound of the Ferrari and the driving position and connected feeling to the road of the NSX, but when I grab the "keys" it's almost always not a key at all that I put in my pocket.

My test drive was on a P85+ and I was very pleased with the handling! acceleration and steering control. The car handled extremely well on the freeway, changing lanes rapidly. I am moving from my 911 Turbo so the acceleration and sports car feel were very important to me. The comparison to a P85+ is really a Panamera Turbo or a Aston Rapide as it's a longer and heavier car with seating for five.

All of that said, if it doesn't speak to you, it doesn't speak to you.

As a point of comparison, here's what I wrote after my first test drive last year:

Just got back from test driving a Tesla Model S.

Holy. God.

There are two things that are dramatic and amazing about the Tesla, and they are flatly contradictory. First, it feels exactly like a normal car, in nearly every way. Second, it feels like it was air-dropped from about 75 years in the future. After a few minutes behind the wheel, you can't help but looking around at all of the drones in their clattering, wheezing, belching contraptions and thinking, "those poor fools. When will they join the future?"

Seriously.

There are little things about the Tesla that announce its difference, like the fact that there's no key, but when you first get in and pull away, it really does feel like a regular car. The ergonomics are decent (except for the center console, which doesn't open or provide storage, which is dumb). The steering wheel is nicely set up. The controls are where you expect them to be, and have a nice, high-quality feel. The giant screen takes a little getting used to, but not much more than the iPad did the first time you used that.

But mostly, it just feels like a big luxury sports sedan; like an Audi, sort of. The seats could use a bit more bolstering, and it needs map pockets, but even the inherent silence of the car is masked a bit by the HVAC system on a hot day like today, so it doesn't really feel that special.

And then you get free of traffic, and you stand on it, and you realize that all of the cliches are exactly true. It feels like one of those roller coasters with the linear electric motors launching out of a tube. It is like NOTHING you've ever driven. It is crazily, ungodly fast, with response that makes a mockery of every use of the word "instant" to describe the throttle in an internal combustion car. And it doesn't shift, so the push in the back hits hard and just stays constant as long as you've got the balls to stay in it (which, in the C Street tunnel, was to...well, let's just say I am glad there weren't any mobile speed cameras out today).

And, again unlike any car you've ever driven, you are never in the wrong gear. You never have to wait for it to kick down. You never have to wait for it to come on boost, or on cam, or on anything. It's just ON, right now, so if you want to pass that slowpoke in front of you at 60, WHACK, boom, you are around him.

It is, for me, the measure of a great car that it makes me laugh out loud. The RX-8 did it the first time I drove it. So did the 911, and the Boxster S.

The car made me guffaw--and I am neither making that up or exaggerating. I found myself actually, literally guffawing.

I can't say much about the handling, since my test route consisted mostly of high speed blasts between traffic jams in downtown DC, but the chassis tuning feels incredibly sophisticated, so much so that you'd swear this was a company with a long, storied history of building cars that stormed the autobahn, rather than the sophomore effort from a bunch of coders in Northern California. Tesla's chassis tuning makes every other car company look stupid. You can't build something this good, this quickly without making it seem like everyone else is doing it very, very wrong.

The giant touch screen is probably a huge pain in the butt to use in the winter wearing gloves, or at high speeds, but the level of intuitive control over the car's systems is astonishing. You can turn off the "creep" that is designed to simulate a slushbox, and turn up (or, actually, leave in default) the regenerative braking, and suddenly the car feels like the message from the future that it actually is.

And I haven't mentioned that it's huge, or that it has an enormous amount of passenger space, or that it can seat 7 (sort of), because you don't really notice any of that from the driver's seat.

So, yes. This car is really something else. Believe the hype.

I was enamored by the Tesla when I heard of it in March. I came to this forum and read all I could and had to have one. I ordered the car before a test drive. Sold my 2 cars, 02 corvette convertible and 09 Pontiac G8 GXP. The Pontiac actually feels faster than the P85 and handles a bit firmer but I was not sorry that they were gone thinking about driving the future. I have missed the Pontiac the last 3 months waiting for the P85 but the wait will make delivery all the more exciting. The cars are almost the same size and I will not miss the $350 a month in fuel for the Pontiac. 12 mph was getting old. A car can't be everything to everyone but this one sure is getting close.

Somebody get that man some cool-aid!

No, seriously, though I have always observed that one of the biggest challenges for Tesla is that they appeal to potentially vastly different interest groups. Different people drawn to these cars for different reasons.

I read the OP a couple times trying to figure out exacty what was missing. Best I could figure was the noise? Luckily for me, that's the biggest bonus that comes with the EV experience. Clearly I bought the car for completely different reasons that would appeal to you at least at this point, I think.

I think I'm right in saying that the heart and soul of this company is to drive necessary change (without making it a bitter pill or compromise) Not everybody is on board with that. No, I agree it is not our place to convince you that the car is right or wrong for you. That's your call.

In addition to discussions about the merits of decision factors other than performance, you will find nuggets of wisdom in this forum about different configurations technically but I think for most of the people who drive this car already it was not a matter of a compromise and longing for the sound of ICE cars.

But, ah... to be startled out of sleep by loud exhaust, adrenaline rushing, heart jumping out of my chest, wanting to punch somebody...how will I ever live with out. LOL J/K.

Last edited:
Somebody get that man some cool-aid! I read the OP a couple times trying to figure out exacty what was missing. Best I could figure was the noise?
Yep, this car will never float his boat. But a whole lot of folks think there is nothing better out there than a Honda Civic with a glass pack. In my opinion, the S exudes refinement and class; what others drive I often consider somewhat crass. But, wouldn't it be boring if everyone drove S's?

I wonder what the average age of MS owners is? I'm guessing it's over 40 - perhaps as much to do with being able to afford an MS as the reason I posted this… I'm thinking you do all your loud car driving when you're young and want people to able to know when you are about to make an appearance - a LOUD car can do that. Then, as you grow up, that becomes less important - annoying, even - and you start enjoying peace and quiet, but still enjoy the power (now and again)! Maybe it's just me. MW

You need the P. Floor it and it pulls. Instantly. And hard.

You can't compare a 911-S to an S85. You should compare it to the P85 (and then recognize all of the benefits you get compared to the 911).

I don't know about that. I own a 997 911 now and have owned other sports cars (Lotus Elise) and I can tell you that I made up my mind to order the Model S as soon as I took a test drive. The S85 is plenty fast. Am I going to miss downshifting and hearing the engine? Maybe, but I love that torque, love the tech, and love the fact that my Model S will be powered by the Sun.

You need the P. Floor it and it pulls. Instantly. And hard.

You can't compare a 911-S to an S85. You should compare it to the P85 (and then recognize all of the benefits you get compared to the 911).

You really need a P85 w/ staggered wheels too. just a P85 wont pull in any corners. 285 rears barely do!

That said it is not a 911. Matches pretty close to an M3 & CTS-V in auto-X but not on a big track.

I have yet to test drive. Part of the reason is my rule to never test a car that I could not buy. Lets face it, the S85 is pretty costly up front so need to work the justifications (with the SO). But it's interesting many talk about the instant power and the torque. I currently drive a BMW 335D and the diesel most definitely delivers torque. (425 ft/lbs from a 3.0 liter 6-cyl). For the diesel BMW, it gives that surge, like a big hand pushing you in the back, but with a low revving diesel does so without any fanfare. In some ways similar to the S85. I wonder if our European counterparts, where the diesel is more common, are less impressed by that torque feeling?

I had a 2009 911S before I did my test drive. Engine revs are nice - for about 60 seconds. I do not miss that noise during my one hour or longer trips in my P85. Out of fairness, my 911 was a cabriolet, thus probably even noisier in the cabin when the top was up.

Also, my 911 never pushed me into the seat the same way the P85 does. I'd rather feel those G forces with silence than not feel those forces and have lots of noise.

OTOH, it's all a matter of personal taste.

I have, yes. The Roadster is crude compared to the S. I won't go on, plenty of other threads detailing how rough it is :) ... and why many of us just cannot let go of it. No comparison.

I don't own a Roadster...yet, but have driven a few and enjoyed the driving experience even more than my S because the Roadster is more connected to the road and is so much smaller.

I have yet to test drive. Part of the reason is my rule to never test a car that I could not buy. Lets face it, the S85 is pretty costly up front so need to work the justifications (with the SO). But it's interesting many talk about the instant power and the torque. I currently drive a BMW 335D and the diesel most definitely delivers torque. (425 ft/lbs from a 3.0 liter 6-cyl). For the diesel BMW, it gives that surge, like a big hand pushing you in the back, but with a low revving diesel does so without any fanfare. In some ways similar to the S85. I wonder if our European counterparts, where the diesel is more common, are less impressed by that torque feeling?

I'll preface this by saying I haven't driven a 335d, so I can't compare directly. But what's amazing to me about the Tesla isn't the torque, exactly--there are a lot of DFI turbo engines out there that produce good thrust way down low. It's the "throttle" response, which is simply instantaneous. Even brawny normally aspirated engines take a moment to build power, and with even the best turbos there's a telltale pause while the combustion gasses spin the turbine.

There's just none of that in the Tesla. It's surreal the first time you drive it.

My last car was a 335d. I bought it back in 2010 because I felt it would have the same feeling as driving an electric car. It is quite similar, the acceleration from 40km/h in 1st feels very similar to punching it in my P85 from 60km/h.

BUT the single speed gearbox beats the slushbox in the BMW hands down... If you mash the pedal in the BMW you'll have to wait for a downshift, then it takes a lil while for the turbos to get spinning etc.

An S85 is very unlikely to save you any money over the 335d over the long haul. I felt very justified in moving from the 335d to my P85 for the following reasons: a) using the extra passenger and cargo space (we went from 1-3 kids in the time I owned the BMW it saved me from having to drive a minvan!), b) the power delivery (instant torque and single speed gear box) c) supporting Tesla and the future of EV's. (a future without Tesla's or other awesome EV's is pretty boring).

I currently drive a BMW 335D and the diesel most definitely delivers torque. (425 ft/lbs from a 3.0 liter 6-cyl). For the diesel BMW, it gives that surge, like a big hand pushing you in the back, but with a low revving diesel does so without any fanfare. In some ways similar to the S85. I wonder if our European counterparts, where the diesel is more common, are less impressed by that torque feeling?

Nope, still not the same. Besides the Model S, I own a 1971 Corvette with a 454 cui (7.4 liter) engine. It's modified and makes 600 ft-lbs of torque. Car weighs 3200 lbs. And it still doesn't give that same thrust feeling feeling that the Model S does.